HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2001, 12:59 PM
Boulder, CO
Joined Sep 2001
72 Posts
Building my first battery packs...

With the ship date for my own e3d approaching, I have realized that I am going to need to start building my own battery packs for this thing.

Is there a document around for how to go about building one, matching cells, etc? My plan is to follow Gary's recommendations for a 10-cell design, but even if I buy ~50 cells to make 4 matched packs, I really don't know what to do next.

Links would be great if people have documented this before.

--eric
Gospadin is offline Find More Posts by Gospadin
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2001, 04:12 PM
Designer/Builder
Brighton, MI USA
Joined Jun 2000
1,883 Posts
Try the EFO website (Check the E-Zone Links). I think Ken has some of articles posted there on soldering batteries.

-Jim Young
Jim Young is offline Find More Posts by Jim Young
Old Nov 14, 2001, 10:13 PM
Electric baptism 1975
Vernon, BC, Canada
Joined Dec 2000
2,908 Posts
I have a pdf file (Acrobat)of I think Kieth Shaw that I can email you direct. Just ask for "make battery"file in you r email to remind me.

drdnai@shaw.ca

DavidN
DavidN is online now Find More Posts by DavidN
Old Nov 15, 2001, 08:17 AM
Speed Demon
Antioch,CA,USA
Joined Dec 1999
12,323 Posts
Eric, the machines used for matching cells might surprise you when you reach for your wallet! Do yourself a favor and buy a hammerhead soldering tip from one of the vendors the advertise here. Most electric vendors carry them. In addition you'll also need a 30+ watt soldering iron, not gun to fit the tip. I bought one at the local Home Depot for ~$15. The hammerhead is great in that it has enough mass to hold the heat and transfer it well. Use only the rosin core solder made for electrical connections. Make sure all your connections are freshly cleaned before attempting soldering. <a href=http://members.aol.com/kmyersefo target=blank>EFO</a> has a great article written by Keith Shaw on assembling these packs. In the <a href=http://members.aol.com/kmyersefo/inline.htm target=blank>article</a> he uses a regular soldering tip but you'll have to trust me on this one, once you use the hammerhead tip, you'll love it! Making your own packs is definately the way to go, for me anyway.
GregG is offline Find More Posts by GregG
Old Nov 15, 2001, 10:17 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I actually just put together 4 packs the other night. It was my first attempt and went well. I did two 10 cell packs (for my E3D, Twin Jett, and F5B Plane) and two 8X3000mah Nimh I used a 40W iron and the hammer head tip. Took a little practice but went really well. Flew the 10XCP-2400's yesterday and and so far so good. Go for it.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH