Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:00 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Build Log
~MrRCSound System~

This is my review / build of the MrRCSound system.

My first bench sound test of the MrRCSound Budget sound module with the sound card A: Merlin / Allison / Daimler Benz / Lycoming engines.

The auto audio leveling on both my Sony HDR-SR11 and the audio leveling on most computers limit the sound amplification this unit puts out, but at sustained high speed your ears will bleed and your teeth will ache!

MrRCSound System2 (3 min 43 sec)

It would be really kewl if the machine gun card could fire LEDs as well..........

50 Cal Guns 1 (2 min 6 sec)

I have additional info on how I built these guns on the "Utility" pg.

I just received the new MrRCSound System Budget version module from Andrew. From NY to SW Mo. via USPS took 4 days (weekend). I thought I would post some preliminary pics & specs with additional info and a User Manual pdf.

I can easily see how Andrew has adapted the idea of making a 1-piece unit making it portable between multiple planes. A power Y-cable and a servo Y-cable is all that is needed to accomplish this task.

This Budget unit weights 6.6oz. and everything is self contained in a piggy backed configuration. The dimensions are 2 1/8" / 54mm x 2 1/14" / 57mm and stands 2 5/16" / 59mm from base to top of capacitor.

The 3 modules, sound board, amplifier & voltage modulator can be removed and located in alternate locations if room is an issue. All that will be needed is to lengthen the wire leads.

There is also a junction box with 2 speaker ports for an additional speaker or two if desired. The sound board has a dip switch making the selection between engine sounds easy. And of course, there is also a volume control.

The speaker box has 4 1/4" holes to allow speaker back flow and allow the cone to breath. It also has a 1/4" ridge around the base to affiliate a tight install in whatever enclosure mount desired.

I'm looking forward to getting started on the build, I have 2 planes in mind, and will post additional info as time goes by.

You follow the discussions on "The Official MrRCSound system" thread here on RCG>

UP-DATE 9/15/2012:

I got my XT60 connector wired in line with the MrRCSS module, and got it set up to run my first sound check tonite. All I can say is AWESOME!! Have you ever cranked up your surround sound system so loud that your ears ached????

I'm going to try and set up some audio equipment tomorrow so I can capture the true sound of this thing, so I should have some decent vids. posted tomorrow.

Andrew has sent me a set of the 1.22" speakers, so I hope to have them by Tues. It will be interesting to hear what the 3 speakers sound like?

UP-DATE 9/18/2012:

I thought I would show the sound board I made to record the MrRCSound and how I configured the mics.

UP-DATE 9/20/2012:

MrRCSS Mini Speakers (3 min 30 sec)

I got the twin 1.22" mini speakers in from Andrew at MrRCSound and set up a demo for comparison between the two mini's and the one 2" in house speaker. In the preceding vid I fired them up in conjunction with the 2" speaker, and I couldn't tell any difference as the volume level of the 2" out drove the two mini's. The subsequent 3 trials in the vid were solo runs of the mini's off the Budget unit. They do not produce the same volume as the 2", but they still sound okay.

My assessment of the two mini's:

(1) Because of their total weight with the amp.,sound card & voltage reg., 3.7oz., they would be an excellent addition to a small plane much like the 1100mm series. I think they could still be used in some of the 1400mm's as well if CG & weight were an issue.

(2) They could be used in conjunction with the Budget unit as a 3 speaker system if they were mounted in the fuse, mounted in opposite directions 180 from each other.
Sandancer is offline Find More Posts by Sandancer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Sandancer; May 04, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:38 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,583 Posts
Did you do your sound test really thinking of getting this unit to install in my 1.7m P51.
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:43 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
Did you do your sound test really thinking of getting this unit to install in my 1.7m P51.
I just finished my first sound check, Nick, and I must say, this thing is AWESOME!

I'm going to U/L a few pics of the wiring set up and first sound check tonite. I'll spend tomorrow setting up some audio equipment so I can capture the true sound of this system. I should have a couple of vids up tomorrow.

Andrew is sending me (2) of the 1.22" speakers which I hope to have here by Tues. It's going to be interesting to hear what the 3 speaker set up will sound like?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,583 Posts
I'm totally wanting to put this in my FMS 1.7 P51 so ill wait for your bids. I've seen other vids but yours will be the deal breaker as I've got my finger on the trigger!!! Plus Andrew has a 10% off right now. Budget pro enough???
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:10 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
USA, MO, Clever
Joined Dec 2009
4,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8truckin View Post
I'm totally wanting to put this in my FMS 1.7 P51 so ill wait for your bids. I've seen other vids but yours will be the deal breaker as I've got my finger on the trigger!!! Plus Andrew has a 10% off right now. Budget pro enough???
I will have a vid. for you tomorrow, but I can tell you right now.....Sssssqqqueeze the trigger my friend!

Andrew said the difference between the Budget and the Pro w/guns is about 3db loss, but I will say, I don't think you could tell the difference?

I should have gotten the Pro, because 75% of the questions I've received on PM were related to the gun sounds module.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,583 Posts
Ya not really wanting the guns, so would the budget be okay then? Didn't really think about the gun sound when I said budget pro. I'm just concerned about weight.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,862 Posts
Great stuff! Are you going to show it in a plane?

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, FL, Hollywood
Joined Aug 2010
1,479 Posts
Here's mine, using the Budget "A" system and Daimler Benz sound. My pilot friends raved about it.
My Airfield Stuka with MrRcSound system (1 min 43 sec)
urrl is offline Find More Posts by urrl