HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:40 AM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Hey Bill, you'll enjoy this one. There's one thing I found easier for me to do. Look on the isometric view of the gear. On the lower set of the gear, I bent both ends at the wheel down and soldered all three together at the same time. Look closely at the front view picture on post #1. Zoom in on the lower solder joint and compare to the plan.

On the lower set of the gear make your 90 degree bend first at about 10" from one end. Make your acute bend 5" from the 90 until it intersects the front leg at about 9" from the 90. Leave the lower gear that way until the upper gear is made and installed. Temporarily install the lower set and mark where the lower set intersects the down leg of the upper set at about 1/2"-1" above the axle. Bend the ends of the lower set down at the marks you made. Now you can trim the ends of the wire to length and wrap all three legs with wire and solder. I know this sounds a bit complicated but you'll see what I mean when you start bending wire.

Making the bends either according to the plan or as I described will be quite sufficient. I just found it easier to get things lined up for me.

I hope this helps,

DC
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Last edited by skydanz; Oct 06, 2012 at 11:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:09 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,170 Posts
Yup your right
But I think once I'm at that point it will make sense !

How are things going are you watering that crazy flower?

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:55 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Duck Bill View Post

How are things going are you watering that crazy flower?

Bill
Poor thing. Lynne has dropped that flower a bunch of times trying to move it in the sun. The stem broke on it so now I have it home doing CPR. The mechanism still works though. She just adores it!
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:12 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,170 Posts
Don I know what you mean I also have preformed surgery on ours but it just keeps on swaying back an forth.

Well thank god for a rainy day because after gluing my finger prints away I had to stop till I send for the miscellaneous parts and covering to finish up.
THIS WAS A CAKE JOB My complements to the Laser chef ALL PARTS FIT OVER EACH OTHER PERFECTLY ! I test fit the side to the fuselage and it was a snap fit had to pull like hell to get them apart to glue them tight. The only building part left I think is bending and soldering the landing gear.

I like it JOE !!!

Regards Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 04:49 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,057 Posts
Glad you like it Bill! It goes together fast!

While you are waiting for the mail, you can paint a few things. Paint the window screen (I prefer black) and the firewall (unless you are going to cover it).

You can always tackle that landing gear too. Don't make it too tough.....the only thing I would suggest is tow the landing gear OUT (don't go straight up and down) so it has a wider stance.

Keep up the good work!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:17 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
One other thing Bill, make sure the top half of the head assembly is oriented like the first two pictures of the instructions and not like the pictures in #26 or #35. I think if you are going with a heavy nitro engine and tank, you could do it that way otherwise you'll need the mast toward the rear to get the hang angle. It should be hinged exactly Iike the orientation you have in your post.

If I can find the pics I took of the two ways to hinge it, I'll post them. Joe, if you still have them maybe you could post them?

DC
Last edited by skydanz; Oct 06, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:44 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,170 Posts
Gee I hope so Don the epoxy dried a long time ago on that

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:58 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,170 Posts
I took the time to bend up the landing wire and I think it came out fine. only one more bend on the tips for the wheel axles, and to solder the lower joints together ( is this what you meant Don), and then on to the next big thing. Going very quickly that's a plus.
Bill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mud Duck Bill; Oct 08, 2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:53 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Looks great Bill! That's exactly what I meant. I just thought things lined up a little easier. Did it make more sense once you got there?

DC
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:57 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Hey Joe, I understand one of my buddies is ordering one! You may have to have another batch made.

DC
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:05 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,057 Posts
Yes Don...I"m sending his out tomorrow. We are all out! We are getting the last 10 at the end of this month and then we're done.

Bill,
You did a great job on the landing gear! That 1/8 wire is pretty easy to bend and after it's all fixed together, it's strong as nails!
Just make sure you toe out the landing gear to widen the stance. You'll be glad you did.

Keep up the photos! You'll be done before this weekend!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:44 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,684 Posts
The First Air Mail Flight from the roof of 30th Street Station in Philadelphia PA to Camden NJ. (6 min 31 sec)

This is a pretty good film of the original machine and it looks as if it has a blue and silver paint job.
Happy Landings
Chris.............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Last edited by britinoz; Oct 11, 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:12 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,170 Posts
Chris:
That was very nice I love watching old clips of yesteryear things like that.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,170 Posts
The Mill has arrived

Hi guys:
The Mill has arrived in the mail from Heads up RC I have gotten some other things from them and am very satisfied.
This unit is a 32 power up sport, 50 amp ESC, 2200 3s Lipo, and a matching prop 13x6.5e.
I like heads up RC's web site because they have a write up for all their motors,
Chose a motor you think you want click on it and they give you a run down of what it will pull weight wise, what ESC they recommend ,Battery size for your type of use and give thrust vales for matching props.

Maybe a little over kill but I don't have to use all the throttle.

Some up date pictures and a QUESTION JOE I see in the cover picture you have stand offs behind the motor is that your preference or are they needed?

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:28 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
BILL! Your head setup is backwards! I hope it's not glued yet. Little end on top towards the front. Make sure you pin the hinges with round toothpicks.

I found that I needed some nose weight but my big batteries fixed that. I suspect Joe used the standoffs to move the CG forward.

Looking good!

DC
Last edited by skydanz; Oct 12, 2012 at 05:35 PM.