Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:16 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,946 Posts
You mean those double-decker planes with a 1" long nose? Their engines were really heavy then and our powerplants just don't balance 'em too well, do they? Yup, that's one extreme case there, but so much fun!
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jun 2011
151 Posts
First experiment done : not able to turn with control.
Need to decide on the next step (either try dihedral or add ailerons for which I need to wait for servos)

Dihedral question - some planes have just sloped wings - slope starts close to the fuse (like in ultra micro champ) - on other planes the wing is flat for a while and the slopes up (like gliders and EZFly) - is one more efficient Thant the other for self leveling ?

1 vs 3 - which is better http://navyadministration.tpub.com/1.../12968a_81.htm
radhav is offline Find More Posts by radhav
Last edited by radhav; Oct 12, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:13 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,561 Posts
With the dihedral, the plane is sort of self controlling. With the flat wing YOU become the controller. A plane will fly fine without rudder. Take your servo from the rudder and use it for the ailerons. Start with very little throw till you get a handle on it, maybe a 1/4 inch of ail throw, depending on the size of the plane, then add to it as you get used to it. This is where the fun starts as Jeff says.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
United Kingdom, England, Dorset
Joined Apr 2010
965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBFlyer85 View Post
However, just had a question about something I noticed when flying. I adjusted all my trims to be properly level (Ailerons, Flaps, Rutter, and Elevator). I knew that it may need some slight trim corrections once up in the air. Once I got her in the air and gained some altitude she was flying great, however, I noticed every once in a while and had to give her some aileron corrections to keep her level. The wind was blowing slightly with a small gust here and there.

Thanks in advance,
Josh
This is my personal experience.After many decades not flying, I started with three channels, was okay, so flew a PZ Wildcat.Although it flies very nicely,I am always over anxious so was trimming all the time for straight and level flight.The next time I flew it, in zero wind, I trimmed again and found my trims were baack to the stock,zero trim set up.So I think yes, it could be wind gusts.
alibongo is offline Find More Posts by alibongo
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:28 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,950 Posts
Wind, thermals, butterfly farts.....

They all influence small, light models in flight.
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:11 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhav View Post
Ok - I hear it loud and clear that i cannot turn.... I will do one launch to convince myself... after that maybe i will add diheral to see if i can fly it -- if that attempt flies, i will add the servo.

I hope to learn something going through the process.
Why would you try such an antic ? What is there to learn except that you cannot fly it ?

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:17 AM
The original Flying Pigs Sqd.
Netanya, Israel
Joined Aug 2002
9,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Why would you try such an antic ? What is there to learn except that you cannot fly it ?

Nigel
More to the point, why ask for advise, and then ignore it?
Up&Away is offline Find More Posts by Up&Away
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:43 AM
Joined Jun 2011
151 Posts
It was for learning by doing - thr cost was 8x4 GWS propeller.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:44 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
12,887 Posts
Quote:
It was for learning by doing - thr cost was 8x4 GWS propeller.

But could have been the complete plane...........
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:35 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Wind makes it very difficult to set trim. Is it turning/climbing because of surfaces needing trim or wind?? That is the question.... Why bother? Having to input a little aileron to keep a plane level is , from my experience, the norm... IF you fly a very stable plane, maybe not. I fly very acrobatic planes with the cg set back. The difference between a sports car and an suv...
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:40 AM
Joined Mar 2010
1,337 Posts
Quote:
Ok - I hear it loud and clear that i cannot turn.... I will do one launch to convince myself... after that maybe i will add diheral to see if i can fly it -- if that attempt flies, i will add the servo.

I hope to learn something going through the process.
love it!!!
rtbates is offline Find More Posts by rtbates
Old Oct 22, 2012, 12:39 AM
Joined Jun 2011
151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
love it!!!
With a 5 inch section wing added to both sides attached at an angle make this fly very well - will add video when I fly it again - weather has changed and might have to wait for a week ...
Old Oct 22, 2012, 06:43 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Up&Away View Post
Wind, thermals, butterfly farts.....

They all influence small, light models in flight.
yep especially when a whole herd of butterfly fart at the same time ! Its like flying in a tornado ! But seriously my friend insists on trimming everything to fly level even in a wind,just drives me nuts ! Thats why they made those control sticks,so YOU can make the plane do what YOU want it to
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd