Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:37 AM
Registered User
lilvinz's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
New Product
DIY OpenPilot based FlightControl (F4)

Hi there,

have a look at my port of the OpenPilot firmware to the stm32f4 discovery board:

https://github.com/lilvinz/OpenPilot...-this-is-about

Cheers,

Vinz
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
Last edited by lilvinz; Oct 23, 2012 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:20 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
This is good news for us diy-ers! Will you support also fixed wing platforms with your code? Which sensors will be supported? What about gps's, do you support mtk 3329 (like flytron gps)?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
OS Sponsor
kinderkram's Avatar
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,218 Posts
Interesting project. I wonder what the OP guys will say.
Though it's open source code...

btw: are you planning to design a shield for the Discovery board?
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:48 PM
Registered User
lilvinz's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
This is good news for us diy-ers! Will you support also fixed wing platforms with your code? Which sensors will be supported? What about gps's, do you support mtk 3329 (like flytron gps)?
It supports everything the OpenPilot codebase supports.
Currently its kind of a very big CC3D clone but im merging in the
features which will be supported by the OpenPilot revolution board
when its available, including a lot of different sensors as well as gps.
I will need some more time to try out all possibilities the codebase gives.
Its really huge.
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:50 PM
Registered User
lilvinz's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinderkram View Post
Interesting project. I wonder what the OP guys will say.
Though it's open source code...

btw: are you planning to design a shield for the Discovery board?
There is already code exchange with the OpenPilot codebase in progress.
What do you mean by "design a shield"? If you mean building a board with the flash, the mpu and the connectors then i can definitely say no way. Its just too big. But i could make step by step instruction for DIYers. It is really easy and quick to build it.
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
Registered User
lilvinz's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
PS: here is video of the first flight

OpenPilot DiscoveryF4 first flight (0 min 40 sec)
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Congrats! I can't find it on the openpilot site, so I'll ask you here, will hmc5883 and bmp085 via i2c be supported..Or will they opt regarding baro for the allegdly better and way more expensive MS5611? If one has various sensors connected is it possible to choose which one the FC will use? For example if you have two imu's that it uses gyro+acc from one imu and baro+magneto from another?

I would be definately interested in some schematics or connections list, so we'll know where to connect motors, servos for a plane, etc.
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Sep 14, 2012 at 03:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:46 AM
Registered User
lilvinz's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Congrats! I can't find it on the openpilot site, so I'll ask you here, will hmc5883 and bmp085 via i2c be supported..Or will they opt regarding baro for the allegdly better and way more expensive MS5611? If one has various sensors connected is it possible to choose which one the FC will use? For example if you have two imu's that it uses gyro+acc from one imu and baro+magneto from another?

I would be definately interested in some schematics or connections list, so we'll know where to connect motors, servos for a plane, etc.
The OpenPilot codebase supports lots of sensors. I can see bma180, bmp085, adxl345, hcsr04, hmc5843, hmc5883, mpu6000, mpu6050, ms5611.
That said, dont expect this to work out of the box, currently my codebase is in the stage of a ported CC3D.
You can choose which sensors to use but this requires rebuilding the firmware. The codebase is really very very flexible.
Keep in mind that using more sensors than CC3D oficially supports leads you
into beta quality code. You will have to merge in stuff intended for the Revolution board.

I will post the list of the pin assgnments tonight.
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:09 AM
Registered User
gitit20's Avatar
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
I would love to port the OP software to the AMP 2 or something of the sort since we can never get an OP board
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
Registered User
lilvinz's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
I would love to port the OP software to the AMP 2 or something of the sort since we can never get an OP board
That wont happen, it has just the wrong microcontroller
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:43 AM
Registered User
lilvinz's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
I think about adding support for the MPU60x0 sensor combined with the HMC5883L (sensor fusion).
http://flyduino.net/Flyduino-9DOF-IMU-MPU6050-HMC5883l
or even together with the MS5411
http://flyduino.net/Freeimu-043-10DOF
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:35 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilvinz View Post
I think about adding support for the MPU60x0 sensor combined with the HMC5883L (sensor fusion).
http://flyduino.net/Flyduino-9DOF-IMU-MPU6050-HMC5883l
or even together with the MS5411
http://flyduino.net/Freeimu-043-10DOF
Chinese have equally good but way cheaper IMUs, take a look here:

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/gy-

For example I'm thinking about buying this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gy-521-...148190?item=16

+ this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gy-80-b...-145912?item=4

In the last one I would use just baro+magnetometer, since I would rather use mpu6050 for gyro+acc...Would that be possible (having disabled L3G4200D + ADXL345 )?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:19 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2005
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msev View Post
Chinese have equally good but way cheaper IMUs, take a look here:

http://s.dealextreme.com/search/gy-

For example I'm thinking about buying this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gy-521-...148190?item=16

+ this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/gy-80-b...-145912?item=4

In the last one I would use just baro+magnetometer, since I would rather use mpu6050 for gyro+acc...Would that be possible (having disabled L3G4200D + ADXL345 )?
I think that may be possible. My guess at this point would be desolder the chip that you don't want to use.

@lilvinz
This seems to be a very interesting topic to me. I would be closely following your progress. Theoretically don't you think this code can be ported for the Naze32 board as well?

Thanks.
funty127 is offline Find More Posts by funty127
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:48 PM
Registered User
lilvinz's Avatar
Joined Dec 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funty127 View Post
I think that may be possible. My guess at this point would be desolder the chip that you don't want to use.

@lilvinz
This seems to be a very interesting topic to me. I would be closely following your progress. Theoretically don't you think this code can be ported for the Naze32 board as well?

Thanks.
It surely can. Its an STM32. But its not that nice because they use a silabs chip as an usb to uart bridge so the (very good) OpenPilot usb bootloader would be useless. I dont think i would want to do that.
lilvinz is offline Find More Posts by lilvinz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:53 PM
Registered User
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Lilvinz what about my question? Would I have to desolder adxl and l3g4 from the other imu or could you do it via i2c addresses?
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold High quality DIY openpilot-compatible controller kanchana Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 43 Oct 21, 2012 10:56 AM
New Product zeroGravity - An STM32 Flightcontroller based on PIPO32 hardware Jessestr Multirotor Talk 40 Jun 25, 2012 08:18 PM
For Sale High quality DIY openpilot-compatible controller kanchana Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 0 May 27, 2012 03:46 AM