Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
RC Reviews & Tx Setup Guides
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Update Firmware for Devo TX - Import/Export Devo TX Models - Update Devo RX Firmware

Tom Z is offline Find More Posts by Tom Z
Last edited by Tom Z; Jul 17, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:46 AM
United States, MN, Otsego
Joined Dec 2010
382 Posts
Thanks!

Tom,

What a great and much needed tutorial. I currently have the Devo 7 with my Genius CPs and will likely be purchasing several more Walkera models in the future, eventually with higher end Devo tx's.

This guide was just what I needed!

This should be made into a sticky.

Jim
jcmors is offline Find More Posts by jcmors
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:36 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Thanks Jim, I'm glad you like the tutorial.

Edit: I just added this thread to my TX Setup Guide Sticky.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1325037

Tom
Last edited by Tom Z; Sep 15, 2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:09 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,139 Posts
Tom, thanks for those videos. I have just upgrade my exchanged Magic cube, Devo 12S, Master CP and V120D02S. Now I finally feel safe with my equipment.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Oct 31, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Your welcome zadaw. I'm glad the videos helped you out.

Tom
Old Nov 05, 2012, 07:27 PM
Certified Heli Addict
United States, MI, Cadillac
Joined Apr 2011
902 Posts
Tom remarkable as usual, thank you.
RaymondM is online now Find More Posts by RaymondM
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
Thrust/Drag/Lift/Weight
Simi Valley, CA
Joined Jan 2011
24 Posts
Thank you Tom for the videos. This gives me the confidence to move forward to purchase and do the upgrades.
N4JC is offline Find More Posts by N4JC
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:28 PM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Tom, since you have both the Devo 7 and Devo 10, could you tell me if there is a huge difference between the two. I have a Genius on the way with a Devo 7 but the more I read about it I see complaints about it being difficult to program. I'm wondering if I should just return it and get a Devo 10 instead. (With black friday deals it would only be $30 more for the 10 over the 7.)
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:44 PM
Joined Oct 2010
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budasac View Post
Tom, since you have both the Devo 7 and Devo 10, could you tell me if there is a huge difference between the two. I have a Genius on the way with a Devo 7 but the more I read about it I see complaints about it being difficult to program. I'm wondering if I should just return it and get a Devo 10 instead. (With black friday deals it would only be $30 more for the 10 over the 7.)
I'd get the Devo10 with only the 30.00 spread it's totally worth it.
pmerritt is offline Find More Posts by pmerritt
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:39 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondM View Post
Tom remarkable as usual, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4JC View Post
Thank you Tom for the videos. This gives me the confidence to move forward to purchase and do the upgrades.
Your welcome.

Quote:

I would get the Devo 10 if you can afford the extra $30. It is a good transmitter IMO plus you can also run the deviation firmware with it which I tired and it worked well. Even flew my friends mCPX with it.
Also the Devo 10 has more features than the Devo 7.

The Devo 7 menus are not user friendly to navigate through plus there are no graphs for throttle curves, pitch curves, or DR/EXPO.
Once you get the TX programmed it works fine. I wouldn't not buy the TX just because of the programming. It is not hard to do, it just takes some time.
The Devo 7 has worked fine for me for all the reviews I have done with it. One pot went bad on the stick after months of use so I had to get a new TX.

Tom
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:40 AM
Micro Menace
Joined Aug 2012
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Z View Post
Your welcome.

I would get the Devo 10 if you can afford the extra $30. It is a good transmitter IMO plus you can also run the deviation firmware with it which I tired and it worked well. Even flew my friends mCPX with it.
Also the Devo 10 has more features than the Devo 7.

The Devo 7 menus are not user friendly to navigate through plus there are no graphs for throttle curves, pitch curves, or DR/EXPO.
Once you get the TX programmed it works fine. I wouldn't not buy the TX just because of the programming. It is not hard to do, it just takes some time.
The Devo 7 has worked fine for me for all the reviews I have done with it. One pot went bad on the stick after months of use so I had to get a new TX.

Tom
Thanks, after double checking, it would actually be more like $50 w/ shipping. As long as the 7 works ok I guess I'll stick with it. I'd like to run Deviation, but not that big a deal. I really just wanted to have the option of buying some bnf models. I guess you really only need to program it once for each heli, so if that's the only issue I'll be ok.

Thanks for the info.
Budasac is online now Find More Posts by Budasac
Old Nov 23, 2012, 08:35 AM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, after double checking, it would actually be more like $50 w/ shipping. As long as the 7 works ok I guess I'll stick with it. I'd like to run Deviation, but not that big a deal. I really just wanted to have the option of buying some bnf models. I guess you really only need to program it once for each heli, so if that's the only issue I'll be ok.

Thanks for the info.
I'd take Tom's advice and buy the 10. You won't regret it if you stick with this hobby, and even if you don't it will have a higher resale value.

Think about it, Deviation makes a sort of a universal radio, and you will be able to buy BNF models from other manufacturers too.

Save some more, and buy the Devo 10, Devo 7 isn't worth it. Or at least get the 7E, at some point it will be supported by Deviation (as soon as Walkera will release a firmware for it). 7E is basically a 10 with 3 channels less.

Save up and buy the 10. Save up and buy the 10. Really.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Nov 2012
2 Posts
Devo error message?

Please forgive the intrusion... I am sure this is very silly... I purchased a couple of helicopters from Rotor Concepts and I have a transmitter with their name on it that I believe is an OEM Devo 7?

It is displaying this message

I am sure it is something stupid... but I can't seem to reset it?

Appreciate any help really
RichBell is offline Find More Posts by RichBell
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:10 PM
Deviant
Joined Jul 2012
1,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBell View Post
Please forgive the intrusion... I am sure this is very silly... I purchased a couple of helicopters from Rotor Concepts and I have a transmitter with their name on it that I believe is an OEM Devo 7?

It is displaying this message

I am sure it is something stupid... but I can't seem to reset it?

Appreciate any help really
FMSW - Check Flight Mode Switch, put on 0
THR STK - Put throttle stick all the way down.
sbstnp is offline Find More Posts by sbstnp
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States
Joined Sep 2007
3,492 Posts
sbstnp beat me to posting a reply.
The transmitter will give those messages if the throttle stick is not down all the way and also if the throttle hold switch or flight mode switch is on.
Pull the throttle stick all the way down and turn off the throttle hold switch and/or flight mode switch and you will be all set.
In your case throttle stick all the way down and flight mode switch to "0".

Tom