HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
just having the idea of the box. wow didn't know it can fly having it placed inside the box. doesnt need any air ventilation? >_>
zappygon is offline Find More Posts by zappygon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:14 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappygon View Post
just having the idea of the box. wow didn't know it can fly having it placed inside the box. doesnt need any air ventilation? >_>
I can fly my helicopters in my bedroom. A small bedroom, but a large box. Does not matter if the door is open or not.

The helicopter will fly inside my house. It doesn't mean that my house will fly.

The helicopter needs a reference to fly against. Inside a sealed box, that would be the bottom of the box.

For the helicopter AND the box to fly, it would need an external reference, like the floor (or something else external that has some mass). There is no external reference unless you cut some very large holes in the top and bottom of the box.

This is akin to the story of birds in the back of a moving van. The birds can fly inside the van, but the van isn't going to fly, or even become lighter as the birds fly. Because the reference is the floor of the van, and not external.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:42 PM
Joined Sep 2012
12 Posts
I think it would be very helpful to everyone here if you found some way to show us exactly what is being asked of you. Such as; if there is a paper giving you a task and a set of rules to follow, then scan it and post it. Just as an example.
Travis87 is offline Find More Posts by Travis87
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:09 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
I too am paranoid.
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 13, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:49 AM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Unconventional flying object. NO conventional flying object such as helicopter having one rotor and tail rotor, those typical fixed wing rc plane. Cannot be those kit of off the shell models.
Must be able to fly through a obstacle course,door,window do a loop shaped 8. And able to do some stunts probably.

And yes thanks. I get it for the box part, if i want the whole box to fly i must cut holes at the top and btm.
I not sure am I allowed to get help from here cause my supervisor isn't really free to help.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:56 AM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
is it possible to cut holes only at the bottom of the box and able the box to fly? so the top part of the box doesn't have holes and looks like a normal box
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:40 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
is it possible to cut holes only at the bottom of the box and able the box to fly? so the top part of the box doesn't have holes and looks like a normal box
No.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Alrighty. So do you guys have any suggestions ?
And to build a quadcopter what are the suggested motors , ESC and receivers?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:41 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Parts for small craft, less than 200mm
http://www.banggood.com/buy/V929/ind...0-0_page1.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y

RC parts in USA
http://www.rcroanoke.com/v911-parts-c-43.html#top

Search for parts in your own country to make it easier.
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 13, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:12 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
yeah its for a competition, which is gonna be graded as my project.
Please give us the exact parameters of your assignment. Nobody here is going to help you cheat - I promise to be ethical with my advice. I think it's unreasonable to ask kids to do this kind of thing without help, and it should not be a violation of the rules to get suggestions. We aren't going to build the thing for you, or even tell you what to do, but we can't make reasonable suggestions without some more information. The world of RC aircraft is just too big.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Here is something I work with... if you could make this thing fly, it would be impressive!

http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/papermodel.html

The James Webb Space Telescope is the biggest spacecraft I've ever seen... it will need a really expensive launch vehicle
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
It has to fly thru a 2m x 1.5m doorway and 1.5m x 1.5m window. do a figure 8 between two poles
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:44 PM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
I would hope that it is able to do abit of stunts? do give suggestions cause the price isnt a big issue.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,075 Posts
Quote:
I would hope that it is able to do abit of stunts? do give suggestions cause the price isnt a big issue.
Stunts tend to be limited by pilot ability more than aircraft ability. You will need to take some time to learn to fly whatever aircraft you end up with. You can buy a simple quad copter that is ready to fly, and all you need is a radio... but there's no experimentation with it, and you can't re-program its board or anything. The little thing can do flips and could easily fly your described course.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...qx-bnf-BLH7580
Blade mQX Quadcopter Review (14 min 47 sec)
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:20 PM
rc aircraft crasher
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
so im guessing your original endeavor was to make a tandem rotor helicopter aka a chinook? if so that would be a job... the mixing involved in those birds is ridiculous. but in that case any multi-rotor bird is going to have alot of mixing. to answer your question, i dont see why you cant build any design you would like, as long as you get the mixing and balance correct. which is the hard part. hope that helped.
jnmardister is offline Find More Posts by jnmardister