SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Discussion
Need help in RC stuff!

Hello guys,

I am new to this forum. I would like to ask a few things.
I am planning to do two motor copter, a bi-rotor one. So I need two motor, propellor, receiver, transmitter, ESC, battery, the structure of copter. Is there anything I missed out?

So,

How many channel receiver do I need?

What ESC and motor do I use?

Thanks in advance!
zappygon is offline Find More Posts by zappygon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:52 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Needs an electronic gyro. Servos if you intend a swashplate(s).

This a coaxial or two separate masts.

Four channel radio should be enough. Six channel radios cost about the same as four channel.
Ribble is offline Find More Posts by Ribble
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
is it possible to build the rotors on something like a skateboard shape and able to fly around
Coaxial or two separate masts? what do you mean by that? ):
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:22 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zappygon View Post
is it possible to build the rotors on something like a skateboard shape and able to fly around
Coaxial or two separate masts? what do you mean by that? ):
Coaxial has one main shaft inside the other with one set of blades above the other counter-rotating set of blades. Makes the helicopter very stable.

A skateboard shape would have two masts, one in front with a set of blades and one in rear with another set of blades. Problem is keeping one set of blades from crashing into the other set of blades, and also what happens if something goes wrong with either.

What you are doing gets very complicated. You need reduction gears to let the motors run at high speed while driving relatively slow speed rotors.

The motors, without the gears, will have to run at the slow rotor speed, and can not change speed fast enough to maintain balance, even if there was enough torque to get off the ground.

Much information on COAXIAL and MULTI-ROTOR helicopters.
http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-helis-217/

Quad rotors are becoming popular now that electronic control boards are inexpensive. They are simple and fly very well. Very stable yet very fast and capable.
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribble View Post
Coaxial has one main shaft inside the other with one set of blades above the other counter-rotating set of blades. Makes the helicopter very stable.

A skateboard shape would have two masts, one in front with a set of blades and one in rear with another set of blades. Problem is keeping one set of blades from crashing into the other set of blades, and also what happens if something goes wrong with either.

What you are doing gets very complicated. You need reduction gears to let the motors run at high speed while driving relatively slow speed rotors.

The motors, without the gears, will have to run at the slow rotor speed, and can not change speed fast enough to maintain balance, even if there was enough torque to get off the ground.

Much information on COAXIAL and MULTI-ROTOR helicopters.
http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-helis-217/

Quad rotors are becoming popular now that electronic control boards are inexpensive. They are simple and fly very well. Very stable yet very fast and capable.
Your meaning of Quad rotors meaning using 4 rotor or quadcopter's type of rotor.
Sorry really a newbie in this.
What would u recommend me to get for building this?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:00 AM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
OR how about using only one helicopter motor and mount it on a hat structure ?
Is it possible to fly ?
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
V929 Quad copter
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Small...580276280.html

V911
http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ne...9-p-36779.html

Why are you doing this project. If to save money, it is cheaper to just buy one. If it is to learn, then you have to do a lot of reading.

No, a hat structure single motor will just spin in circles. It needs a tail motor to stop it from spinning.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:41 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,209 Posts
Hmm... a quad rotor skateboard. Makes me think of the helicarrier.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:06 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Hmm... a quad rotor skateboard. Makes me think of the helicarrier.
That thing was cool... it was just a normal quad chopper though... You can pretty much make them carry whatever you want. If you are interested in building your own thing, a quad is a good way to go. If you just want to fly, I suggest buying a coaxial helicopter, there's a lot of them on the market and they are cheap and fairly good quality too.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:18 PM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
yeah its a project or rather competition, need some weird looking rc design. any suggestions?
helicarrier using quad rotor seems interesting
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:28 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,393 Posts
A quad copter is certainly a viable option if you have to build it yourself. Building other types of aircraft may require you to find impossible parts or fabricate stuff, and you would have to learn those skills. You could build a standard balsa and covering airplane, but you'll need help to fly it. A quad copter is durable enough to survive most people learning to fly, and when you damage parts they are cheap and easy to fix. If we knew more about what you need, that would help. If it's for school, that's fine, I don't think it should be a crime to ask for help with it
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
yeah its for a competition, which is gonna be graded as my project.

Alright a really noob question here,
If i put a quadcopter inside a box, and have it fixed that the propellor won't touch the interior of the box. will it be able to fly ? Or do i have to cut holes on top of the box or underneath of the box.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:10 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,209 Posts
@jasmine2501
Are quad copter engines required to be evenly spaced? The helicarrier seems to have a couple of them slightly further forward.

And has anybody taken a scale model (Have they release one yet?) and mounted it on an 'H'-quad yet? The OP could be the first

Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:37 PM
Joined Sep 2012
63 Posts
Btw, if making a tricopter, the shape of it is probably , equal length of each "spine"
\
.\
..\_ _ _
../
./
/

is it possible to build something like
\
.\
..\_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
../
./
/
meaning that one of the "spine" is longer than the other two
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:21 PM
Crash and learn
United States, PA
Joined Dec 2011
1,605 Posts
Quote:
Btw, if making a tricopter, the shape of it is probably , equal length of each "spine"
\
.\
..\_ _ _
../
./
/

is it possible to build something like
\
.\
..\_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
../
./
/
meaning that one of the "spine" is longer than the other two
It is possible to build that. If would even fly.

Quote:
If i put a quadcopter inside a box, and have it fixed that the propellor won't touch the interior of the box. will it be able to fly ? Or do i have to cut holes on top of the box or underneath of the box.
The quadcopter would fly inside the box (with a good pilot). How big is the box. “Give me a place to stand and I will move the world.” ... If you want the box to fly, you would have to make many very large holes in top and bottom of the box.
---

Cool Quad
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=89

More Cool Quads
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1658847&page=3
Last edited by Ribble; Sep 12, 2012 at 10:42 PM.