HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Should a hobby shop help with R&D for this project?
-Yes I think an online hobby shop should help provide free parts to RCvertt, since I would buy a kit or Ready to Fly version if it works. 5 31.25%
-No I don't think any online hobby shops should give RCvertt free parts, because I wouldn't buy it even if it works. 11 68.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,107 Posts
Poll
Jump Jet- Should a hobby shop help with R&D ?

This poll will be to see if people think an online hobby shop should help this project. Jump Jet project.
For those that are skeptical about this project but want to see it built quickly or want to help but don't have the funds to help with an unproven concept, this poll is for you.

-Vote yes if you think a hobby shop should help provide parts for this project, free of charge, since you would buy a kit or Ready to Fly version from them if it works.

-Vote no if you don't think any hobby shops should help because you wouldn't buy it from anyone even if it works.

This post is just for the poll. Pleas post any comments that you want me to respond to in the original thread, linked to above.
Feel free to post here if you want to explain your voting decision. Explanations for or against the project posted here won't be questioned by me and will help me determine how to improve the project.

///Edit---------
I have been modifying multirotor code for over 3 years to make this kind of project possible.
Below is a video of one of the projects I have been involved in. This was one of the first flights of this particular build. You can find more info on my RCgroups blog page. I am aware of the differences and challenges that a VTOL EDF Harrier presents.
1_NoRudder.AVI (3 min 29 sec)
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Sep 14, 2012 at 02:12 AM. Reason: Added info about my qualifications
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:47 AM
This Calls for a Sexy Party
Minneapolis
Joined Sep 2010
639 Posts
Why are you keeps trying to get free parts ? why can you get it with your own money and pay for it yourself ?

If a high school student like i am, currently without a job can afford this hobby by saving up money and slowly buy parts, then you can too.

If you're able to get a hobby shop to sponsors your project, then good for you. No need to put it on Rcgroups.
StewieRC is offline Find More Posts by StewieRC
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:20 AM
USA, NY, Poughkeepsie
Joined Mar 2010
671 Posts
What is this even about ?...if you have plans to build a jump jet....build it. Why would any hobby shop supply you with free parts to begin with ? Have you designed and built any other models that are retail ready ?
And why would a hobby shop give you free supplies if your plan is to offer the design for free here after we vote and somehow get you your free stuff?

This is just wasted bandwidth and I just wasted more responding to it
rcguy1958 is offline Find More Posts by rcguy1958
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:36 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,745 Posts
The key word here is "IF". If it doesn't work, who loses. I do many of my own designs and about one out of four works to my satisfaction.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:03 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,473 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcguy1958 View Post
What is this even about ?...if you have plans to build a jump jet....build it. Why would any hobby shop supply you with free parts to begin with ? Have you designed and built any other models that are retail ready ?
And why would a hobby shop give you free supplies if your plan is to offer the design for free here after we vote and somehow get you your free stuff?

This is just wasted bandwidth and I just wasted more responding to it
Double wasted because you obviously didn't read the thread about the jump jet linked in the original post.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Sep 12, 2012, 08:55 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
First you ask for sponsors, and now you ask for free parts... If you can get either, more power to you. However, it might help if you establish up front your qualifications for developing this model. What else have you done? Why should anyone believe you can actually make this work?

If you've done this already, then my apologies... I must have missed it.
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:02 PM
So broke I can't pay attention
Naples FL USA
Joined Mar 2009
489 Posts
On second thoughts, I deleted my comment!
caymin last is offline Find More Posts by caymin last
Last edited by caymin last; Sep 12, 2012 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Don't want to get banned.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
545 Posts
Hey RC vertt.

there are massive pitt falls to the Harrier design, Getting on to fly is not a problem. the problem comes when you try to get the harrier to do what it is known for. And i can tell you you are going to be using alot of gyros, and you may even have to come up with some sort of auto thrust control to establish stable hovering. Im not saying it wont work. Im just saying unless you have extensive electrical knowledge you are going to find this project almost impossible.

I am not on to criticise, and really hope you pull of an amazing feat that would really impress ALOT of people.
But, i do wish you the very best of luck, and please keep us well informed of your progress.

regards
tony
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:58 PM
Malaysia, Selangor, Kajang
Joined Jun 2009
1,405 Posts
I voted yes even though it's very unlikely that I'd ever buy it. If it works then it would most likely be too expensive for me. But I see nothing wrong with asking a commercial entity for investment/sponsorship/patronage.

However. Be very careful how the help is provided. An investment carries a bigger burden of making it successful than a simple sponsorship or patronage.
slebetman is offline Find More Posts by slebetman