HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
101 Posts
Discussion
Help out a beginner with his first off-road car

I've read a few beginner threads and looked for a "what should I buy forum" but thought I'd just start a thread here instead.

I enjoy RC as a small side hobby. If I had the time and funds I'd be pretty into it but instead for me it's just a small escape when I can. Just as an example, I bought an entry level plane, the Hobbyzone Champ RTF for just $90 and it is awesome to me! I don't need the fancy, fast and expensive things (though I want them lol) but the Champ is enough for me. With that being said, I'm trying to find the same in an RC truck or buggy... or "truggy"? Hobby grade is the way to go.

I am looking for something to bash on my own around my yard, on the local BMX track or even while tail gating at games. My budget is $150 and I'm looking for something RTR, just charge and go (and buy more batteries lol). I like the idea of a 1/10 scale but would go up or down a bit. So far all I really know are two ECX models that have been suggested, the Stadium Truck for $100 and the Torment for $150. Is the Torment worth the $50 extra for my needs? It definitely looks pretty awesome. What else could I get for $100-$150? And remember I don't need the extreme performance, just looking for solid fun. Thanks guys!
stevenator128 is offline Find More Posts by stevenator128
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:05 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2012
285 Posts
i'm also like you now, first i thought i want to go for MERV but after going to my local track to see what people play, i think 1/10 should be a better size to play either for bashing or racing..i doubt you can get any for the price of 100-150..im not sure about your country but in my country there is no such price unless it is a 2nd hand..LOL..for long term sake, i think it is better to invest on something good as for now u may think u just want to play for fun but after a while u will want more than a budget truck..
leonggyooi is offline Find More Posts by leonggyooi
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:13 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
The stadium truck is probably better for your needs than a SCT.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:05 PM
oh that guy
United States, SC, Clover
Joined Sep 2012
265 Posts
I would have to agree for a stadium truck also a 2.2 MT like the stampede. You can usually find a good used traxxas rustler or pede for about what you want to pay or less. If you get a stadium truck you can get more bashability out of it by swapping out the tires for 2.2 MT tires the rims are the same. And yes I just said "bashability" I'm southern we do that lol
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Apr 2011
51 Posts
well to be honest 150$ is not much for a new hobby grade off road truck. you might be able to find an exceed or duratrax for around that much. but you also have to consider other things. for example the stock chargers that come with most RTR are painfuly slow and the stock batteries are normaly only good for around 10-15 min run time combine that with 7+ hour charge time that most RTR chargers have kills the fun imo. Also for example you can get brushed versions of many trucks for about 100$ less BUT you will most likely end up spending that saved mony on replacement motors, plus brushed motors need to be constatly mantained/cleaned ect and even then they dont last all that long while a brushless motor set up will last a a pretty long time with little to no matanince or cleaning ect plus there much faster.
I always recommend a rustler or stampeed VXL brushless modle from traxxas to newbies looking for a off road basher. But there about 320$, . for the price you set i miight recommend a duratrax evader but id save up a liitle more and get the brushless version or plan to upgrade it to brushless asap.you will def be happier in the long run. But again your really going to want to get a decent charger. plan to spend between 30 and 60$ for a fairly good entry Lv charger. i use a thunder ac680 wich will charge most any type of rc battery and is pretty fast. it comes with every thing you need for lipo use ect.no need for exttra power suply or ballencing ports ect. you can get the ac6 model for about 35$ though wich should fill you needs just fine. id also plan to invest in at least one good battery with a high MAH rateing wich will give you good run times. i use a 5000mah 2s lipo wich gives my rusty VXL about 20-30 min run time. with the charger i mentuned i can charge that bat in about 1 hour.

Any way i would highly recommend getting soething good to start with, that does not mean you NEED a 800$ brushless Erevo or savage ect. a good stadium truck or monstertruck will be fine. if you get one thats to cheap you may end up getting frustrated with break downs and haveing a hard time finding parts ect and end up giveing up on the hobby.
Blakeownsu is offline Find More Posts by Blakeownsu
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:05 PM
why am i here???????
United States, OR, Oregon City
Joined Mar 2009
714 Posts
your budget is really low for a nice hobby grade rc. should save up for either a stampede vxl or rustler vxl and be happier in the long run and some decent batteris and chargers. you can also look at the stampede vxl 4x4 and thats a really nice truck. goes almost as many places an an emaxx.
traxxas13 is offline Find More Posts by traxxas13
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Sep 2012
26 Posts
I just picked up a team associated t4.1 RTR brushless , it was $219 at towerhobbies.

it doesnt come with batteries or a charger though, I got a thunder ac680 charger from hobbyparts for $45 and 2 gens ace 5000mah 40c lipo batteries, batteries are $28 each.
chrispycontrol is offline Find More Posts by chrispycontrol
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:54 PM
Joined Nov 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakeownsu View Post
for the price you set i miight recommend a duratrax evader but id save up a liitle more and get the brushless version or plan to upgrade it to brushless asap.you will def be happier in the long run. But again your really going to want to get a decent charger. plan to spend between 30 and 60$ for a fairly good entry Lv charger. i use a thunder ac680 wich will charge most any type of rc battery and is pretty fast. it comes with every thing you need for lipo use ect.no need for exttra power suply or ballencing ports ect. you can get the ac6 model for about 35$ though wich should fill you needs just fine. id also plan to invest in at least one good battery with a high MAH rateing wich will give you good run times. i use a 5000mah 2s lipo wich gives my rusty VXL about 20-30 min run time. with the charger i mentuned i can charge that bat in about 1 hour.
I have the Duratrax Evader Brushless with a similar battery and charger as you, just that my battery and charger are Duratrax also. Cost was $250 (minus coupon code) for the car and another $140 (again, minus a coupon code) for the battery and charger. Very fast and will tear up your lawn if you drive it there.

Just be aware that if you start out with a brushless setup (which I agree is the way to go), that they are very fast, so be sure to start out in a wide open space until you are used to the handling.
davruk is offline Find More Posts by davruk
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Oct 2008
490 Posts
Take a look at the Turnigy Desert Buggy from Hobbyking for $120. You'll need a transmitter $30 (3 channel 2.4Gz) and a battery $20 (5000mah 2S nano tech).
Ive got one on the way. I ordered it because of all the good reviews here and elsewhere. Gets about 30mph on a 2S.
War Machine is offline Find More Posts by War Machine
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:52 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Kuala Lumpur, Kuala Lumpur
Joined Jun 2012
285 Posts
is the Rustler VXL nice to play compared to SC truck?
leonggyooi is offline Find More Posts by leonggyooi
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
I wouldn't purchase the Electrix brand cars. I have owned the Boost for a week now and have not been very happy with my purchase. Like you I am new to the hobby and wanted to save a little money. First, the tie rods have popped off a couple of times. The first time was during a routine transition from road to grass, another was after a hard landing and the third time after hitting a tree root(oops). Finally, the major issue I had with the car was moisture damage. The ESC is not waterproof at all. It died after driving it on the wet road. A new ESC is on the way, at a cost of $21.

I guess if you drive it safely, in a dry environment, you might not have the same issues. However, I would not purchase it again. I would go for the Traxxas Rustler at $200.
comotoasty is offline Find More Posts by comotoasty
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:41 PM
Joined Apr 2012
101 Posts
Thanks for all the input everyone. I really like the Turnigy Desert Buggy but $56 for shipping really spoils it.

My overall budget is really $200 because I planned on getting a charger and a big lipo as well. I cannot go over $200, TOTAL, including batteries and charger. Also, I do not want to buy anything second hand. It's just the way I am.

I am leaning towards the Torment more than the Circuit partly because of the 2.4ghz radio and receiver, I know how much better they are than the 49mhz type. Honestly if it wasn't for the shipping I'd probably go with the Turnigy Desert Buggy instead... what to do what to do?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 08:43 PM
Joined Apr 2012
101 Posts
Also curious why everyone is so sure I need brushless? I understand maintenance differences but do I really need more speed as a beginner? Right now I'm playing with a 10 dollar RC car from Wal-Mart lol and the 20+ mph the Torment can get with a lipo seems plenty fast for my needs.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
101 Posts
Actually I just found the different warehouses on the Hobbyking website. If ordered from the US it would be just over $143 shipped for the Turnigy Desert Buggy. That leaves 57 for a transmitter and battery and charger. Should this be my number one choice over the ECX Torment? Still have about 10 days to decide before I place my order.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 07:19 PM
oh that guy
United States, SC, Clover
Joined Sep 2012
265 Posts
I have no experiance with either. But I have read indipendant reviews of the turnigy desert buggy and have been impressed with it. I put it on my christmas wish list with my wife.
slim_chance is offline Find More Posts by slim_chance