HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
United States, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Aug 2012
168 Posts
Discussion
If I could get a good list of all of the parts I need it would really help.

I want to start building simple planes to practice on. the night vapor can't handle much of any breeze and I don't have the space for much larger. I understand airplanes and built a fair amount. now it is so much easier using foam. but there are so many parts i need I am a bit lost. I want to build a plane around 12 to 15" winspan and a slow flyer. pusher would be better to save wear and tear. I would like 4 channels too. I have a dx6i radio. So If I could get an idea on what receiver and servo's and motor and props to get it would help a lot. I know I could get replacement parts from parkzone and do it but they seem bit spendy.
fooferdoggie is online now Find More Posts by fooferdoggie
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:57 PM
Look out below
United States, OR, McMinnville
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
Have you looked thru scratchbuild forum yet? They usually post all the equipment needed along with the plans.
mcnowhere is online now Find More Posts by mcnowhere
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:46 PM
Joined Aug 2012
168 Posts
yes though I need to read more. like can I only use a Spektrum reciver or can it be a dsm2 like this one http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...products_id=71 are the servos universal of the plugs are the same?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:20 PM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie View Post
yes though I need to read more. like can I only use a Spektrum reciver or can it be a dsm2 like this one http://www.fancyfoam.com/index.php?m...products_id=71 are the servos universal of the plugs are the same?
Yep plugs are the same for servos. You need to stay with same brand for your Tx (transmitter) that Rx is pretty big for a small foamie but will work. Try this one and they sell other sizes too.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:22 PM
Look out below
Joined Aug 2011
1,194 Posts
Do you know how to use thread tools and search this thread function?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2012
46 Posts
TX
RX
Motor and motor mount (either home made or pre fabricated)
ESC
Prop w/prop saver
Battery and charger and extra XT60, JST or Deans connectors
Bullet Connectors / Shrink Tube
Solder / Soldering Iron / Flux
Hinge Tape / An old 3.5" Disk / Hot Glue Hinges / Plastic Hinges from HK
2,3 or 4 Servos with appropriate connectors. Possibly "Y" harness
Control Rods / control horns and some way to guide them (straws) and way to make "Z" bend
Foam / Hobby Knife / Low Temp Hot Glue / Gorilla Glue / Grilling Skewers and or Carbon rod
Printable directions from the Scratch built part of the site.
Thirston is offline Find More Posts by Thirston
Last edited by Thirston; Sep 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:58 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,594 Posts
For the size of plane you are thinking about use the same electronics the Vapor uses.
But unless you go up in size and weight you still won't be able to fly in much wind.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Sep 13, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Nov 2011
936 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html
Logan4169 is offline Find More Posts by Logan4169
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:24 AM
Joined Aug 2012
168 Posts
A little wind is all I am after. What size motor can I get away with with my vapor radio gear?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:26 AM
Joined Aug 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnowhere View Post
Do you know how to use thread tools and search this thread function?
Yes way too much info to sort through. Been driving me nuts.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:42 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Jul 2012
46 Posts
I think the J3 Cub motor might work for you. Pair it with the rx/esc combo from your Vapor.

You could also try using a 5g brushless with a small ESC and some linear or <2g servos. Perhaps see what electronics are being used on the Pico Sticks and such.

And I think I've read good things about the 5043 props being used on these small brushed foamies.
Thirston is offline Find More Posts by Thirston
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:29 AM
Joined Aug 2012
168 Posts
I made a pusher plane from 1/8" foam and used the p51 motor and gear box. but I could not get forward thrust even with the motor tipped way up. though later I saw how to fix it. but I thin kit would need so much up thrust It may not work. Almost think the servos don't have enough throw to work well but it is limited to where you can place the radio unless you replace the push rods and such. frustrated with planes right now. more spent with far less flying then with any of my heli's I can crash them a lot without any or much damage.