Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:27 PM
RC lifecycle = Build+Fly+Crash
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
228 Posts
Discussion
SKY 706 firmware upgrade

Hi,
I tried to upgrade the firmware from SKY706 to SKY706V as per instructions in the user manual.
However, the SKY706 application just hanged and now the TX doesn't work anymore
Any clues on how to fix this?
Thanks!
mperaltaoz is offline Find More Posts by mperaltaoz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Scratch Build #9 - Gee Bee Z
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:30 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperaltaoz View Post
Hi,
I tried to upgrade the firmware from SKY706 to SKY706V as per instructions in the user manual.
However, the SKY706 application just hanged and now the TX doesn't work anymore
Any clues on how to fix this?
Thanks!
The V version is ONLY for the FBL (flybarless) receiver. It should not be applied unless you have the FBL receiver. The only thing we can recommend is to contact your dealer for a repair or replacement or return to the factory for reprogramming. This issue can happen with any computer, including the one you are using, if you try to flash upgrade the firmware and the program encounters a issue during the upgrade. Sorry to hear of this problem. Beyond suggesting you hook the Tx back up to the computer and try to reload the default configuration file for your helicopter, we simply do not have any other ideas to help you out.

Regards

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:14 AM
RC lifecycle = Build+Fly+Crash
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Aug 2012
228 Posts
Thanks for your reply.
I managed to fix it now by installing the original firmware again.
Here is a summary of the problem and it's solution.

Problem
The SKY706 application crashed whilst trying to update the firmware from SKY706 to SKY706V.
After that, the TX stopped working. It would link to the application and bind to the RX, but the sticks didn't send any signals to the RX or to the computer simulator through the cable.
Tried the firmware upgrade several times again, but it didn't work either.

Solution
In the application included in the CD that comes with the plane (Folder SKY706_V1), there is a folder named "siuse".
Within that folder there is another folder named "Upgrade", and inside this folder another one named "DeviceFile".
There you can find a file named "SKY706 D5-S1.res~vdrc".
I renamed that file to match the extension of the firmware files, i.e. to "SKY706 D5-S1.vdrc".
Then, I used the SKY706_V1.exe application to upload that file as the firmware to upgrade the TX.
It worked in this case, and the TX was fixed.
After that, I tried running the firmware upgrade again (to upgrade to SKY706V) and this time it worked.
mperaltaoz is offline Find More Posts by mperaltaoz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Scratch Build #9 - Gee Bee Z
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:49 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperaltaoz View Post
Thanks for your reply.
I managed to fix it now by installing the original firmware again.
Here is a summary of the problem and it's solution.

Problem
The SKY706 application crashed whilst trying to update the firmware from SKY706 to SKY706V.
After that, the TX stopped working. It would link to the application and bind to the RX, but the sticks didn't send any signals to the RX or to the computer simulator through the cable.
Tried the firmware upgrade several times again, but it didn't work either.

Solution
In the application included in the CD that comes with the plane (Folder SKY706_V1), there is a folder named "siuse".
Within that folder there is another folder named "Upgrade", and inside this folder another one named "DeviceFile".
There you can find a file named "SKY706 D5-S1.res~vdrc".
I renamed that file to match the extension of the firmware files, i.e. to "SKY706 D5-S1.vdrc".
Then, I used the SKY706_V1.exe application to upload that file as the firmware to upgrade the TX.
It worked in this case, and the TX was fixed.
After that, I tried running the firmware upgrade again (to upgrade to SKY706V) and this time it worked.
yes this is the correct method to restore the firmware.
The upgrade normally proceeds correctly, but sometimes the computer program can lockup or fail, causing the update to fail.

Good news that you are now back to operating condition

Regards

Max
www.parkrcmodels.com
www.skyartec-usa.com
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor