HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:16 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,513 Posts
Question
Which to get? Blade 120sr or Heli-max Novus200N (Nine Eagle 228A)

I have been looking at bigger FP copters. The two listed are the two I am considering. I have flown numerous coax copters and the solo pro fixed pitch. I also fly planes. If anyone has any thoughts or experiences with the copters your opinions would be welcome. (The local HobbyTown carries and supports both).
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:41 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,329 Posts
The Nine Eagles 228A is a clone of the Walkera 180D which has got very odd flight characteristics. The Blade 120SR should fly much better. If you have got a Spektrum transmitter, I would say go for it.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Aug 2012
90 Posts
I got the 120SR as my first FP helicopter after a few coaxials. I think it's a greater starter and I'm hoping to work my way up to a MCPX2.

I've had to replace a few parts and it's pretty easy to repair using the exploded parts diagram and the parts are cheap...I think the most expensive part is under $20 (except for the board).

I was using the stock controller for a while but ended up getting a Dx6i and used this book http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/blade-msr-tips.html to set up the settings.

It's so much easier to fly now and hovers much better. I actually bought the same author's book "the beginner's guide to R/C helis" first and then bought that second book because the first one was really helpful.
MyRCode is offline Find More Posts by MyRCode
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined May 2012
60 Posts
I've got both and fly them regularly. They are both great flyers, with th 200FP needing a little more space. That bird can cover a lot of ground in a hurry. The 120SR is the more durable, and when paired with the DX6i, is a great flying experience. The fact that I can take a 15 minute ride and get all the spare parts I need for the Blade is another personal advantage for the 120SR.
However, the Novus, while similar to the Walkera, with it's own flight charecteristics, is very stable (as I have found the CB180 to be also) and presents all the challenges that I can currently handle.
By the way, I do all of my flying in the wild. (outdoors). I don't reconnent either of these birds for indooor flying unless you have access to a warehouse, gym, or 5 car garage.
LOSTVENTURE is offline Find More Posts by LOSTVENTURE
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:11 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The 120SR will be more nimble and aggressive. It should also be more durable.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:31 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,513 Posts
Thanks for the info. This is going to be my outdoor flier. I read that the 200 was the Nine Eagle and that the walkera was a copy of that. I will have to check the local store and see which copter is supported better.
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Excellent idea! Do your homework first. So many beginners buy something first then want help because they bought crap.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14