SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:28 AM
United States, NY, Wyoming
Joined Apr 2011
108 Posts
We went Friday and Saturday. Had a great time. We went last year also. This is a must do event if you are into indoor flying. He building is huge. The staff is first class. We had a couple of minor issues on Saturday morning and they made sure it was fixed right away. Already planning for next year. I thought the Fuel restaurant was ok. I did not go there last year so I have nothing to compre to. I only wanted a quick sandwich so the smaller menus were fine.
starwarsfan is offline Find More Posts by starwarsfan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:12 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
I was there yesterday (Saturday) and had an OK time overall.

I was at the far end of the building near the ETOC area. It didn't go well down there. The ETOC took up too much space and even enlarged their area mid way through the day, virtually eliminating the micro and heli areas. Crazy that so few people can commandeer so much space. The heli and micro area was maybe 20' deep and there were people walking through. It was a very small space to fly. Last year was better as there was more space.

An interesting observation by my friend... When we were down in the vender area looking toward the flying area he noticed that most of the flight traffic stayed on the side of the field closest to the pilots. Perhaps you should consider setting up a flight line down the other side of the building. You could set up a couple tall-ish pylons in the center of the field to give a sense of depth. Pehaps you could 1.) have other side fly a reverse pattern so any overlap wouldn't result in flying into on coming traffic, or 2.) Use other side for helis and micros, or 3.) Put the ETOC guys over there. That way everyone could more easily observe their awesome flying.

The lighting was bad again this year. Its so hard to see the planes because of roof structure and the indirect lighting and then they don't turn all the lights on. WHY???

The steel drum music was great. The rest of the music was bad again. Too much old stuff. Toward the end of the evening they were playing slow and old music when they could have played something a little more up tempo. The 3D competition music was too loud. And the guy on the mic needs to talk less throughout the day.

The event for most of us is about flying and friends. All the loud speaker noise (and volume) makes it hard to talk with friends.

Overall I'm appreciative that MARCS puts on this event as it must be a substantial amount of work. Thanks! Just giving my feedback and suggestions.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:14 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,611 Posts
Thanks for the observations Joe. I'm glad I decided to stay home a fly local this year.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:03 PM
Joined Oct 2006
290 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the comments! By the way I spoke with registration and the T-shirt controversy was mostly due to my mistake - the "first 100 pilots" to get the T-shirts were supposed to be "the first 100 pilots who signed up for a weekend pass". Totally my fault for not stating that correctly. I did give the list of preregistered pilots to the ladies at the registration desk Friday morning and of course, these pilots should have been #1 in line to get the shirts. We (the event staff) just need to do a better job communicating these things. I think that we have the major things covered pretty well, we just need to iron out these little things to make the event more enjoyable for everyone.

We had about 265 pilots registered. This is a super number and we are really grateful that so many showed up. We'll try to do even better next year! - Marc
themudduck is offline Find More Posts by themudduck
Old Dec 09, 2012, 09:31 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,291 Posts
I was quite happy with the 3rd HET expo ( I have been to all of them so far). I happen to like old Christmas music so it did not bother me. I also enjoyed the steel drums playing. I went to Fuel on Saturday around 2pm for lunch and the food was fine for me. I had pasta with marinara sauce with grilled chicken and vegetables added in and he cooked it while I stood there and it was only $7, much better than getting a hot dog or something from Wendy's or McDonalds down the road. The people I had lunch with had a cheeseburger and the other had roasted chicken with red potatoes so there was some variety.

I was down on the end by the helis and the area was too small as I had helis crash into my table two times and I was behind the heli flight line! I do think the ETOC needs to move to the 3D area and let the helis and quads fly where the ETOC was instead. The HEF event to me is more of a big fun fly where you meet new people and just fly, so having more area for the heli and quad people seems reasonable as there seemed to me more of them than the ETOC guys, yet the helis guys were in a smaller space and flying much closer to people and tables.

I plan on going next year!

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Dec 09, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:50 PM
Twin Warbirds Rock!
United States, OH, Akron
Joined Nov 2003
89 Posts
Well, I had a great time there, as usual (been to all three so far). I thought there was a great variety of aircraft, and it was nice to renew old acquaintences and make new friends. It really is like a giant fun-fly.

I continue to be amazed that we don't see more sponsorship/interest from the major manufacturers. If I heard right there were 270+ pilots? And Saturday there were 375 paying adult spectators, not including the kids. I'm not aware of another indoor event that has that kind of draw.

The lighting didn't really bother me, but I have to say I'm more or less used to it as I fly there quite often. But if you don't fly there often, I guess its like me going to JR or eFest - the venue is unfamiliar, its hard to judge exactly how far back that back wall is, and so I feel a little uncomfortable; but its not a deal breaker, its just getting used to unfamiliar surroundings (I think).

I can't speak about the Helis/ETOC issues as I was never down that end of the field since its not my thing, but the main flying area was well managed and nicely sized, I thought. I wonder if it would be possible to use the balcony area behind LazerToyz, where the restaurant was the first year, for the Heli guys?

I liked the pace and variety of events, and was proud to have taken out the South Pylon for the second year running with my P38 during the Sunday Warbird race. I'm nothing if not consistent.

I enjoyed *playing* the steeldrum music, thanks for the kind comments about it. I had a few requests for us to play on Sunday, maybe next year we'll do it if I can talk the rest of the band into it. They're not all flyers, and asking them to hang around all day for two days might be pushing it, but you never know...
pantuner is offline Find More Posts by pantuner
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by themudduck View Post
Rocket, please come back to registration because they still have some pilot T-shirts left. If you mention to them that you were missed I am sure that they can get you one (as long as they aren't out of the size that you need). Tomorrow morning I will tell them about this so they'll expect you, just tell them that Marc sent you.
Sorry unfortunately I did not see this until I returned home. I don't understand the problems with the lights though. Saturday they had every other one on for a while then they switched them after the night vapor was in the light, then they switched them again. Someone had access to the lights (since they turned them off for the night fly, so why not turn them all on.

As far as food, we checked it out Saturday night and decided to go to Chop's instead.

Sorry one last gripe, helis were really treated as the bastard step child here this year. The area to fly helis in was really too small and unsafe (I had a child almost run right into my heli while flying. There was no room for even the most basic flying as one direction you would run into the F3P guys if you had a problem another direction you would hit people sitting at tables, or to your left and get into the race track area.

You did not have alot of people flying helis because, at least some of us who look at the situation, felt it unsafe to fly. I brought 3 helis with me as well as a bunch of airplanes. I flew my helis twice, not because I didn't want to, because those were the only times it appeared ok. Why not do like they do at Columbus and have some allocated times for helis to fly where they can fly circuits and have more runoff area. Either that or next year post heli hovering area only and I won't bother to bring my helis
rocket_33 is offline Find More Posts by rocket_33
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:15 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,042 Posts
Just wanted to add my thanks to all those who took their time and effort to put on this event. I missed the first one, but won't miss another. A fun event in a nice large facility.

This event is new and growing rapidly. Any glitches I saw were relatively minor and I expect will be sorted out with time. I'm sure the powers that be are looking at any constructive criticism and will respond to make the event even better and bigger.

Personally I liked having the F3P area separated from the 3D area. It allowed the average flyer to use the 3D area without having to compete for air space with the "pros".

Thanks again to all the club members who took their time and effort to put on this event. Looking forward to next year.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:17 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,121 Posts
FWIW, we had about 10% of the total entry flying in the F3P area, so I don't think the space we had was too far off that. It probably just looked like not a lot was going on because we only flew one up, so it never looked crowded.

.And we never made it larger, we simply moved another one of the blue markers over there to make it more clear where the dividing line was.

Having said that, it was too small a space for the heli guys. The original plan was for us to fly closer to the south wall. but there was a wire stretched across the field about 20' up that prevented that.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:57 AM
Red Beard
United States, PA
Joined Jun 2007
48 Posts
i would like to know if anyone knows of another show or swap-meet coming up in Ohio , pa, WV, or somewhere close.it was my first time to one and i would like to try another.
redbearddebspike is offline Find More Posts by redbearddebspike
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:00 AM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbearddebspike View Post
i would like to know if anyone knows of another show or swap-meet coming up in Ohio , pa, WV, or somewhere close.it was my first time to one and i would like to try another.
March
http://www.cpaa.us/
DaOldGuy is online now Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:10 AM
Oxford, Michigan, United States
Joined Aug 1999
2,456 Posts
Carolynn and I had a great time and will be back next year!

In terms of the setup, as long as F3P has that many pilots, give them the space.

There was another comment about pitting on the back wall. At our indoor flying, we do that in a full size soccer field. We are the same basic setup as HEF with 3D on one end and heli across the other end where F3P was. Racetrack in the center and 1S micros along the back wall.

But we don't get faster and larger planes that fly a lot closer to the back wall. Not sure if it would work at HEF or not. Sure hate to see Marc and Steve ingest 3-4 dozen foamys on the backside of the pattern!

The micro area by the 3D area was fine with me. I was OK with the heli area for my MQX too. A bit tight for my MCPX though.

My only complaint was too many people (including a boy in an orange MARCS shirt) flew helis in the micro end while others flew Vapors in the heli end. Bad mix.

Pete
Petefoss is online now Find More Posts by Petefoss
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:17 PM
Twin Warbirds Rock!
United States, OH, Akron
Joined Nov 2003
89 Posts
Pete, the dual flight line thing is something that we have done (well...lets just say it sort of evolved) at the fun fly's at the field. Its been a source of more than a few crashes
pantuner is offline Find More Posts by pantuner
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:18 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petefoss View Post

My only complaint was too many people (including a boy in an orange MARCS shirt) flew helis in the micro end while others flew Vapors in the heli end. Bad mix.

Pete
There did seem to be some confusion as to where the micro planes and helis should fly. This could easily be fixed with a pilots meeting at the beginning of each day.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Oct 2006
290 Posts
Yes you're right that the light controls are accessible - it's a matter of convincing the guy in charge that we should turn on the lights. (That person is not me, LOL) We fly at Spire during the winter (once or twice a month) and I have been fighting this battle since last year. I plan to bring these comments to the attention of the people who keep saying that they think it would "be too bright". That's nonsense of course. (I hope you understand, I don't want to mention the person by name here.) I promise I will bring it up. A lot of people want the lights turned on, especially me. I find it very distracting and it's difficult to maintain focus (with my eyes) on the aircraft when they're flying across the ceiling. I probably could have won my heat in the warbird race if I could have seen my plane better.

On behalf of the staff, I'd like to apologize for the poor job on the heli area.
I will print these comments and bring them to our next meeting. It especially concerns me since its a safety issue. Thanks for your input. --Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33 View Post
Sorry unfortunately I did not see this until I returned home. I don't understand the problems with the lights though. Saturday they had every other one on for a while then they switched them after the night vapor was in the light, then they switched them again. Someone had access to the lights (since they turned them off for the night fly, so why not turn them all on.

As far as food, we checked it out Saturday night and decided to go to Chop's instead.

Sorry one last gripe, helis were really treated as the bastard step child here this year. The area to fly helis in was really too small and unsafe (I had a child almost run right into my heli while flying. There was no room for even the most basic flying as one direction you would run into the F3P guys if you had a problem another direction you would hit people sitting at tables, or to your left and get into the race track area.

You did not have alot of people flying helis because, at least some of us who look at the situation, felt it unsafe to fly. I brought 3 helis with me as well as a bunch of airplanes. I flew my helis twice, not because I didn't want to, because those were the only times it appeared ok. Why not do like they do at Columbus and have some allocated times for helis to fly where they can fly circuits and have more runoff area. Either that or next year post heli hovering area only and I won't bother to bring my helis
themudduck is offline Find More Posts by themudduck