HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:02 PM
Old but still bold
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Discussion
Boeing 247 plans, drawings

I've been searching for a good set of drawings or plans for a Boeing 247. The best I've found so far are the ones in the Williams Brothers static kit. I've done a lot of internet search, but have found nothing that is really helpful. Can anyone help? (I've been told I'm actually beyond help!)
motorbill66 is offline Find More Posts by motorbill66
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:11 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbill66 View Post
I've been searching for a good set of drawings or plans for a Boeing 247. The best I've found so far are the ones in the Williams Brothers static kit. I've done a lot of internet search, but have found nothing that is really helpful. Can anyone help? (I've been told I'm actually beyond help!)
heres a set of plans but not for free http://agelesswings.com/BOING247.HTM hope it helps
brett1984 is offline Find More Posts by brett1984
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
Old but still bold
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Brett,

I ran across that site some time ago. I'm going totally scratchbuilt on this project, and it's hard to tell just how much fidelity to scale contours, etc, there is. I know, I'm pretty picky about this kind of thing, but then again, at the price of balsa these days $9.95 would be a minor thing!

Thanks for remembering this for me. I'll give it a shot and order them.

So what are you working on?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:59 PM
RC Airliner Man
United Kingdom, Dudley
Joined May 2007
444 Posts
Quote:
Brett,

I ran across that site some time ago. I'm going totally scratchbuilt on this project, and it's hard to tell just how much fidelity to scale contours, etc, there is. I know, I'm pretty picky about this kind of thing, but then again, at the price of balsa these days $9.95 would be a minor thing!

Thanks for remembering this for me. I'll give it a shot and order them.

So what are you working on?
No problems Motorbill66, as for me Im working on my depron airliner cad drawings. Im trying to get them finshed so i can release a kit of my 737. I Have built from them but a few things need changing before im happy. Plus i need to maiden it
brett1984 is offline Find More Posts by brett1984
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
Old but still bold
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Wow, What nice foam work. I'm definitely 'old school', working in balsa. You've made me consider Depron, but I haven't any knowledge of the techniques involved. I'll be building 'The first modern airliner' at somewhere between 48 and 54 inches. Is Depron practical in that size?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:33 PM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett1984 View Post
No problems Motorbill66, as for me Im working on my depron airliner cad drawings. Im trying to get them finshed so i can release a kit of my 737. I Have built from them but a few things need changing before im happy. Plus i need to maiden it
I love the ol'247 . . . . .I see her as the DC-3's hot & sexy cousin , . . .Lol

Man your 737 is Look'in Great Brett!
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:09 PM
Old but still bold
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Demon, Brett,
Too bad the 247 could only carry 10. The DC2/3 doubled that as I'm sure you must know and there wound up being fewer than 100 built. If you watch USA tv stations that emphasize motorsports (a personal addiction!), you may catch a Discount Tire ad patterned after the Bogie and Bacall great 'Casablanca'. It's a reprise of the airport scene. The airplane in the background is a 247. That's what made me start thinking about it as a model project. My understanding is that there is still one airworthy 247. I just gotta see it...
Last edited by motorbill66; Sep 11, 2012 at 09:12 PM. Reason: mispelling
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:16 AM
Up-Out-&-Gone
Charelston SC U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2007
15,661 Posts
Quote:
Demon, Brett,
Too bad the 247 could only carry 10. The DC2/3 doubled that as I'm sure you must know and there wound up being fewer than 100 built. If you watch USA tv stations that emphasize motorsports (a personal addiction!), you may catch a Discount Tire ad patterned after the Bogie and Bacall great 'Casablanca'. It's a reprise of the airport scene. The airplane in the background is a 247. That's what made me start thinking about it as a model project. My understanding is that there is still one airworthy 247. I just gotta see it...
I hear ya Bill I've stood under the United 247 he smithsonian a few times . .. what a classy beauty of a prop-liner.
demondriver is offline Find More Posts by demondriver
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 02:26 AM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,345 Posts
Motorbill,

There are very excellent drawings in the book called, "The Boeing 247: The First Modern Airliner" by van der Linden. It has three views with cross sections, lots of photos and black and white drawings of different 247s in the livery a number of different airlines. http://www.amazon.com/The-Boeing-247.../dp/0295970944

In addition to that, there is a Williams Brothers 247 plastic display kit which is useful when three views don't give quite the clarity wanted. I think you already have that.

There are Cleveland 247 plans in various sizes which are OK but covered with copywrite warnings which would make difficult to even copy one's own plans to make bulkhead and rib patterns for one's own use. . http://www.clevelandairline.com/ASP/PRODUCT.asp. The writing on the plans is fuzzy enough to make reading unpleasant but still possible. For all their shortcomings they seem to better than the ageless wings plan.

One approach would be to use the Van der Linden drawing which are quite good and copy the construction method of your favorite designer to fit within the Van der Linden outlines. With that thought in mind I ordered a set of Ivan Pettigrew Mosquito plans and Pat Tritle DC6 plans in case I ever decide to do my own 247. It is a very beautiful plane.

There is a flying 247 at the Paine Field Branch of the Museum of flight in Everett WA. You can actually walk in and see it.

I hope some of this is helpful

Best
Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:17 PM
Old but still bold
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Robert R'

Thanks for taking the time to help in my efforts. I will proceed with your ideas.

Motorbill
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:22 PM
Old but still bold
Joined Apr 2012
10 Posts
Demon, Brett,

Duh... The airplane in that tire ad isn't a 247 after all. I saw it again and you can tell that it's a Lockheed 10 Electra. You can see the right side vertical fin (there are two of course). Though not identical, it's amazing how much the nose area of these two look alike. Sorry for the goof.

Motorbill
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
This is a fine fiddly business
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2009
1,345 Posts
Quote:
Robert R'

Thanks for taking the time to help in my efforts. I will proceed with your ideas.

Motorbill
You are welcome.
Robert
Robert R is online now Find More Posts by Robert R
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:51 PM
the fabricator
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Dec 2007
896 Posts
All I could find.
deltamazda is offline Find More Posts by deltamazda
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:06 AM