HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by xplaneguy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:51 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,642 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...a Red Tail is headed my way!

Best,
Tony
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2012, 06:54 AM
Dirtnap Certified
Joined Aug 2012
194 Posts
Nice one Xplane! And now he's out of stock again! Good things don't last I guess. Got my Gunfighter on Christmas Eve, after a very long frustrating wait trying to order initially through Extreme Hobby in QLD, Australia - words fail me about how hopeless Extreme are. Phil is such a refreshing change. Anyway, nearly ready to maiden. A very nicely made bird all said and done. The various maintenance sticker inclusions were a nice touch for the scale lovers out there. I stuck them all on. Not sure she's going to fit in the car....might have to take the wings off to transport. Cheers
Flyindude is offline Find More Posts by Flyindude
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:47 PM
Joined Jul 2012
59 Posts
new all aluminium retracts - where to get?

I saw in this thread that FMS is making new all aluminium retracts -
where can one buy them??
Christofer H is offline Find More Posts by Christofer H
Old Jan 19, 2013, 12:26 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,642 Posts
I just received the Red Tail V7.5 from Philips RC and it came with all aluminum retracts. Check out: PW-RC.com or Banana Hobby.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:08 PM
Short Circuit Creator
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Joined Nov 2004
699 Posts
This photo was taken by me on Friday March 1st.
Not one of the ones that FMS have based their color choices on, but I thought you fellow P51 lovers might enjoy it anyway.
Crashem Dave is online now Find More Posts by Crashem Dave
Old Apr 06, 2013, 11:06 AM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2011
518 Posts
Can anyone tell me the difference between the v7 and v7.5?

Thanks
Qtop is offline Find More Posts by Qtop
Old Apr 06, 2013, 11:41 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,642 Posts
V7.5 has new spinner and metal landing gear legs/struts.

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:13 PM
Ilford,Essex, UK
Joined May 2006
1,957 Posts
Hi all just got a v2 from a friend but i cant find a thread on the v2 any help

also anyone know where i can get a replacement prop in the uk

thanks jeff
Upup is offline Find More Posts by Upup
Old May 27, 2013, 03:28 PM
United States, NC, Concord
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
I went to the hobby shop thinking Corsair but they had just got the FMS 1400mm P51 Mustang V7 and I wound up springing for it, a Spektrum reciever, a couple batteries and the stuff I actually went there for....
I have always loved the P51 looks and from what I have seen so far in video, this model fly's very much like the real thing. I hope to have this assembled and ready to maiden by Friday or Saturday if the weather holds.
Has anyone come across specific issues I need to know about in terms of assembly?

Screw Friday, I am going to try and get my P51 ready to maiden tonight if I can do it safely. weather is supposed to be good and I can devote the day to this build.
thintz is offline Find More Posts by thintz
Last edited by thintz; May 28, 2013 at 05:18 AM.
Old May 28, 2013, 04:17 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,642 Posts
Good luck!

Best,
Tony
RCG Plus Member
Old May 29, 2013, 01:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
Near Disaster

Building the P51 went great until I powered it up. When I plugged the battery in the right gear door servo smoked and though I unplugged it right away (could see smoke) it bubbled the foam around it just a tad. I unplugged that servo and removed that gear door for the time being. Plugged the battery in again and went through the throttle setting etc. I had the remaining retracts working normally and the flaps as well. Then I lost all power to the receiver, a brand new Spectrum. I checked over the wiring again and everything came back on and stayed on through extensive taxi tests and setup.
I took my P51 out to the field last night and while getting ready for the maiden flight the tail wheel retract started cycling on its own. Then the left main retract closed the door first and then the wheel. then, lost all power to the RX again.If this would have happened 30 seconds later I would have been airborne on the maiden flight so I am thankful it went South when it did.
I have ordered a new sequencer and ESC as I don't trust either of those currently in the plane. Saying I was bummed out is an understatement.
Last edited by thintz; May 29, 2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:20 PM
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
47 Posts
can the wings be separated easily for transportation purposes? ( i've got a small car)
p51mustanglover is offline Find More Posts by p51mustanglover
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by p51mustanglover View Post
can the wings be separated easily for transportation purposes? ( i've got a small car)
You can take the wing off of the fuse easy enough but separating them gets more involved.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:30 PM
Joined Jan 2013
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thintz View Post
Building the P51 went great until I powered it up. When I plugged the battery in the right gear door servo smoked and though I unplugged it right away (could see smoke) it bubbled the foam around it just a tad. I unplugged that servo and removed that gear door for the time being. Plugged the battery in again and went through the throttle setting etc. I had the remaining retracts working normally and the flaps as well. Then I lost all power to the receiver, a brand new Spectrum. I checked over the wiring again and everything came back on and stayed on through extensive taxi tests and setup.
I took my P51 out to the field last night and while getting ready for the maiden flight the tail wheel retract started cycling on its own. Then the left main retract closed the door first and then the wheel. then, lost all power to the RX again.If this would have happened 30 seconds later I would have been airborne on the maiden flight so I am thankful it went South when it did.
I have ordered a new sequencer and ESC as I don't trust either of those currently in the plane. Saying I was bummed out is an understatement.
Put the new electornics in and have flown the P51 several times without the one bay door and that servo not hooked up. Then the last night I had it out the other bay door servo failed and trapped the one main gear. with the scoop on the bottom a belly landing was not smart so I belly-flopped it into some tall weeds next to the field and took off the other bay door. I am going to cut both of those servos out and leave them and the doors off. I love the P51 but that part of the retracts sucks big time.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 03:52 PM
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
47 Posts
thank you so much for that answer.

Ps...a few club members with this plane also complain of the doors hanging....there seems an ever more growing problem with the FMS gear doors
p51mustanglover is offline Find More Posts by p51mustanglover