HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, LA, New Iberia
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
I looked at her longingly as I watched it rain until dusk...
brs608 is offline Find More Posts by brs608
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:57 PM
The ground's the limit.
Boulder, CO Area
Joined Aug 2008
833 Posts
How High

Turns out, not that high. Swung by by Skip Miller Models today and picked up a How High altimeter. Stuck it in my Katboo (Katana wing Taboo fuse) a nice flying glider but heavy. Managed 130' once with lots of 120+ throws in still air. All in all I was pretty content with this, given my lack of flying lately. I had fun though and the altimeter works great. The LED that flashes out the max altitude is bright enough that I can easily see it through the fuse. Blue Skies Over Arizona is coming up. I'll be flying more to be reasonably ready for it so I'll continue keeping track of my launches with this glider, and figure my Lightspeed and Validol can only launch higher.
shawnc is offline Find More Posts by shawnc
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:10 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,785 Posts
Finally..... good night last night. it was late, 6pmish so no lift but a steady 3 to 5 MPH breeze. I gave her about 25 throws or so. Working on trimming in the different flight modes. My launch height is improving but I'm stalling at the top. Maybe a little more down elevator is in order???? Or may I need to push over sooner???? I launched once in cruize mode. I had a pucker moment when it did the old turn and burn Still much trimming to do.

I thought I could use the two position switch for a launch switch on my A9, NOT. I'll drag out the soldering iron tonight and fix that

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
I finished up the new fuse install on the Fr3aK last night. With a little luck with the weather, I'll take it out for a spin later today.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:01 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,315 Posts
Finally after a long week of practice, my gliders took a break. The dusty one got a wipe down with Meguiar's Quick Detail. How do you think they stay so clean?
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:25 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,925 Posts
Today I flew my 1m scratch-built from a 60' dune at Duck Harbor on Cape Cod Bay. Light but steady wind straight in. Not quite as gratifying as my 20 minute thermal flight a few days ago, but pretty damn cool to be able to stay aloft indefinitely without really trying. And I learned about (not) flying through the rotor
JimZinVT is offline Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:45 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,865 Posts
Flew the Helios Vlad tonight and got the radio setup dialed in.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:11 PM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,785 Posts
Two firsts..... First thermal of sorts, I think I had a 3 minute flight. I didn't time it, I just know I was up for much longer than normal.... At least normal for me And my first catch

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:22 PM
Afflicted with DDD
United States, CO, Berthoud
Joined Mar 2006
1,266 Posts
Just before dinner tonight I flew my Kat-Seba (Katana Fuse and Seba Zone V2 wing, Fr3aK tails). Launched once and caught a thermal for a 16 minute ride. I had dialed in 5 mm for my thermal camber setting and found this wing really likes it. May try more next time to see what the limits are.

Bob
Soarhead00 is offline Find More Posts by Soarhead00
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:41 PM
Fly, tinker, fly, tinker....
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined May 2012
128 Posts
I grabbed my TS2 and jumped on a beautiful late morning with nearly zero wind. I'm still new, but I'm getting longer and longer flights. I'm starting to play with different camber and reflex settings, and really enjoying watch how the glider responds. Soon I hope to join the turkey vulchers where I fly. Man this is an addictive hobby!
numba is online now Find More Posts by numba
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Feb 2007
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONBOYLEMON View Post
Flew the Helios Vlad tonight and got the radio setup dialed in.
So what do you feel is the difference between your 2 Helios?
NorCal Hobbies is offline Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:48 AM
Throw it like you hate it
United States, CA, Castro Valley
Joined Apr 2007
3,060 Posts
i dusted off my planes (CO was actually pretty dusty) and am charging them right now in preparation for our one-day at eldo tomorrow. looking forward to flying with a clock again. fun-flying just aint the same without a clock. contest-flying is my fun-flying
paul
RCPC is offline Find More Posts by RCPC
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:57 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenh3497 View Post
Two firsts..... First thermal of sorts, I think I had a 3 minute flight. I didn't time it, I just know I was up for much longer than normal.... At least normal for me And my first catch

Ken
Sounds like a great day at the flying field.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:31 AM
Russ Young
United States, UT, South Jordan
Joined Mar 2006
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numba View Post
I grabbed my TS2 and jumped on a beautiful late morning with nearly zero wind. I'm still new, but I'm getting longer and longer flights. I'm starting to play with different camber and reflex settings, and really enjoying watch how the glider responds. Soon I hope to join the turkey vulchers where I fly. Man this is an addictive hobby!
I hope you're hooked up with Dave Banks! (3D-Dave) You'll learn more about thermals in an hour than you will in months by yourself.
isoarthenland is offline Find More Posts by isoarthenland
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:59 AM
The Prez....... again
Joined Jul 2011
3,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
Sounds like a great day at the flying field.
I'm still trying to sort out my trim settings, besides trying to learn a new radio. It would be nice if there was at least one other DLGer near me to have a reference to. I'm still a bit unsure how fast the plane should be flying in each flight mode. I'll get there, it will just take a bit longer.

Tomorrow is our clubs annual fun fly. It's a power club so I'll take my TS-1 and see if I can "convert" some other folks

Ken
RCG Plus Member