HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:48 PM
Fly, tinker, fly, tinker....
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined May 2012
152 Posts
I mounted my HD keychain camera under the fuse and got a new perspective on things! It was cool to get a 1st person view of my launches, riding a thermal, and landing in my hand. A little tape and some foam padding. Good fun.
numba is offline Find More Posts by numba
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
Got Thermals???
United States, UT, Roy
Joined Apr 2008
5,206 Posts
I flew both the V2 and V3 Stobel today in some crazy afternoon air. Thought I was going to ride the sink all the way to the roof of an office building... but sweet lift was just on the other side.
Fishjunky is offline Find More Posts by Fishjunky
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
Lots of Air Play
United States, CT, Coventry
Joined Dec 2008
824 Posts
Went out flying with my son Derek today and practiced launches. I get more height even though he is clearly stronger. Just needs to work out his technique. He improved quite a bit today.

The thermals were popping and it was almost difficult to get his Pedator Carbon DBox back to earth. That plane loves to stay up and launches very clean. Better than my Topsky II Disser which has a pretty heavy wind at 150g. I think it loses quite a bit with the yaw excursions.

Dave in CT
thistle2311 is offline Find More Posts by thistle2311
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:56 AM
Germany, BW, Stuttgart
Joined Mar 2012
787 Posts
Recording altimeter says I had my Blaster 3 powered up for 40 minutes today. 19 flights with an average launch just over 40m. Average flight time was about 90 seconds. Longest flight was 6 minutes and never got above 66m all day.

There was lift to be had... (the neighborhood hawks had no trouble staying up), but I could't seem to find much.
ShoeDLG is offline Find More Posts by ShoeDLG
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:45 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
Frank, you can put a hook on your Concept and bungee it, your amongst friends here, we wont judge
That is blasphemy!

you'd have to cut my right arm off first before I would put a hook on a DLG!

LOL
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Sep 13, 2012 at 12:35 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Mar 2004
1,491 Posts
Was able to fly for about 30 minutes last night. Best flight was just over a minute. The wind was blowing and the thermals weren't there. (Not that I was expecting any at that time of the evening.)

Launching these things is harder than it looks! (Both physically and mentally.) Knowing you could jam the wing into the ground or do some other stupid thing adds a bit of pucker factor for a new pilot. So far I'm just doing easy flat launches, working on good landings and getting used to the glider.

Colin
ColinB is offline Find More Posts by ColinB
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:51 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
Yesterday........(I don't know why I keep waiting to post here) I bought the glider I've been flying for the last three weeks: an old XP5 that makes me the fourth owner I think. It flies great and was never sold because it wasn't a good plane. Actually, the fact that it has withstood so much use gives me more confidence in it despite its worn out appearance.

Bad day for flying though. Not a cloud in the sky almost 70 degrees but too windy. My longest flight was still probably under 3 min. I had several close calls coming back up wind to make it over the fence lining the "no trespassing" south border of the field (acres of black berry bushes, trees, etc.). I haven't taken the ballast out of it yet since its penetrating abilities are not super, but still sufficient in most cases. If I'm not always ready to turn back and come home on the first sign of impending doom, I'll loose it sooner or later. It would be nice to be able to chase those thermals downwind until they got organized and strong enough to justify the drift away from the field. I just need to stay in that core better

Also, lovin my two trusty one cell 600mAh Lipos. Two is enough for one day.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:21 PM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
I thought about DLG's again. This is getting exciting! I'll make that wing eventually, just have to finish the current project, and losing interest
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
Fly, tinker, fly, tinker....
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined May 2012
152 Posts
i'm an idiot

After flying helis, I've gotten really good at avoiding crashing because it's frickin expensive and time consuming. Well, I have my TS2 fuse sitting next to me today in the passenger seat of my car. The wings are laying next to it. In my brilliance, I figure the tail feathers are upright and won't get smashed. I have grand plans of flying after work. Great theory until I pivot my body around to back up and clip it with my forearm. Bent rudder and unseated stab. So, I'm an idiot and managed to crash my plane without flying. Does the boiling water trick work to help remove a crease from the rudder??
numba is offline Find More Posts by numba
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:18 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,643 Posts
I starred at mine and it rocks
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:36 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,383 Posts
Flew this afternoon and for once in some appreciable lift. The previous 4 afternoons have been nothing but whispers and dead air float-outs, but today was excellent, as Joe Dirt would put it "crap flappers and whistlin' kitty chasers" everywhere. And go figure I was on limited time I managed to get in 10 AULD's, and dropped one of them, #4. It was a sobering reminder that even in stupid easy air you can make dumb decisions that hit you on the head. The flight was a 2:26, just enough to get me a solid 900 point round had it been the real deal, which in today's group of guys doesnt cut it. G-bars or go home baby. So I needed that reminder. After that I did 10 quick turn arounds, which was actually pretty hard because the low level air was so bubbly it made lining up for the catch pretty tricky. A last second bump a couple feet off the ground would throw the wing tip away from you right as you were reaching to grab the blade. In one case, it actually sucked the plane back up backwards with full flaps and made the plane stall pretty hard. Good practice all in all
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:03 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,035 Posts
Worked on my girlfriend's DLG for a bit last night before bed, maybe a couple more sessions and it's air-worthy!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:25 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeDLG
Longest flight was 6 minutes and never got above 66m all day.
Exactly the same here today, except I had no altimeter to verify.

Hot hazy day with little wind. There was lift here and there that was not very strong usually. With so much low level flying I was really able to see what I was doing. I think I've improved a lot for feeling out where the lift is by the air movement. Rivers of air came to mind several times. I'm beginning to get a stronger mental picture of the thermals moving through changing the wind vectors. Great day until all the little soccer kids swamped the field around 4pm.

Also added rudder preset with my last available mix which made my launches much straighter and also higher.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:27 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,924 Posts
I glued the blade in and got the top drive servo wires made to perfection on the Vladiliousis. Then I took her out and gave her some gentle tosses and found she needed some nose weight to settle her down! She flew just fine but since the sun had gone down already, not a real great test as there was some wind and no normal lift.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:40 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
6,931 Posts
Trying to get motivated for more dlg repairs. Contest on Saturday!
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: paper blast tube test