HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:16 AM
London
Joined Apr 2004
743 Posts
Beautiful day yesterday, ended up doing a new duration PB of 1:06:38 with my XXLite!
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:02 AM
Poland, Śląskie, częstochowski
Joined May 2008
1,734 Posts
Wow! How small is it from 600m ? Must be realy tiny speck...
Seba
pyrsly is online now Find More Posts by pyrsly
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 08:28 AM
Joined Jun 2009
875 Posts
I flew myself into the bottom of the pack in 75 degree weather the AArizona open
Great bunch of guys there.
Storm51 is offline Find More Posts by Storm51
Old Feb 17, 2013, 10:30 AM
United States, VA, Prince William
Joined Aug 2011
127 Posts
Mike, what a great flight! How did you see it that high up there? Crazy altitude, I get worried about losing contact/sight well before that height!
chrisd438 is offline Find More Posts by chrisd438
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:25 AM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
520 Posts
I had a 3 meter at 2100 and that looked small....I would not be able to see a 1.5 at that height.
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:50 AM
London
Joined Apr 2004
743 Posts
I guess I have good eyes. Thats not even my altitude recored... I've successfully flown to 2420ft and back. Also gone to 2739ft, but lost sight and didn't get it back for 6weeks!
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Feb 17, 2013, 11:59 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
17,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHLG View Post
I guess I have good eyes. Thats not even my altitude recored... I've successfully flown to 2420ft and back. Also gone to 2739ft, but lost sight and didn't get it back for 6weeks!
Looks like a fairly rapid descent from 2739'

Full flaps when you lost sight?
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Feb 17, 2013, 07:48 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,084 Posts
I have not thrown a DLG since late Oct due to a torn meniscus in my left knee. Surgery is scheduled for next Friday. I figure its time to get some tosses before I cannot for another 4 to 5 weeks. Went out to 60 acres and found a way to throw using only my right leg for the most part. It took several attempts and every throw hurt, but it hurt good. I got up to about 120' on a few launches. Anyway I got my fix and had several 3 and one 4+min flight. Now that I'm home I get to ice up the knee and be happy.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:19 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHLG View Post
Beautiful day yesterday, ended up doing a new duration PB of 1:06:38 with my XXLite!
Wow, that's great flight, my pb with a blaster is about 50 mins but if I had allowed it to climb to those kind of heights I could have stayed up over an hour as I brought it down a bit from a high thermal and never got back back in time but threw it straight back up into another oncoming thermal and got another 20 mins or so, had I not bottled it I would have made it to the next thermal in one flight.

Yesterday morning was a good and I thought I had done well with a 10 min thermal, but went home at about 11:30, probably would have got the best thermal after I went home lol, the afternoon was rubbish, really strong turbulant winds from the south going across the little hill which we tried to fly in for 20 mins but was hard and not rewarding, getting tossed all over the place and not really finding much usable lift, however the gulls were climbing thermals like express elevators over towards the M1 but that was just too far away downwind for us to get to, I only saw one gull fly though our patch and it tucked its wings back and flew fast from the M1 to the houses loosing lots of height in the process but those gulls really make my glider look stupid and I'm sure I can hear them laughing at it lmfao.
I went down again at 4:50 and was still bad but stayed down till 5:30 and in the last 15 mins or so it was actually nice to fly with the winds and turbulence dropping off a bit and the winds turning up the hill a bit more and then was getting 2 and 3 min flights again.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 18, 2013, 07:35 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjensen View Post
I have not thrown a DLG since late Oct due to a torn meniscus in my left knee. Surgery is scheduled for next Friday. I figure its time to get some tosses before I cannot for another 4 to 5 weeks. Went out to 60 acres and found a way to throw using only my right leg for the most part. It took several attempts and every throw hurt, but it hurt good. I got up to about 120' on a few launches. Anyway I got my fix and had several 3 and one 4+min flight. Now that I'm home I get to ice up the knee and be happy.

Best of luck with the surgery!! We are all hoping you have a speedy recovery.

I am sure in no time flat you'll be up and soaring again soon.

best of luck,

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:21 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,678 Posts
Been another good day today, went down at 10:30 till 12:30 and caught lots of thermals even though it was strong winds, I managed to climb them fast enough to get really high b4 needed to come back from over the houses and still had enough height to get right over to the M1 with enough height to search for more thermals, unfortunately I never managed to string 2 decent ones together only a few smaller ones and best times was around 9 mins again but I did lots of 7 min flights. With the winds coming up the little hill too I really had the best of both worlds. If the winds weren't as strong the thermals would have stayed longer but then again it may be the winds bringing the thermals over from the M1 in the 1st place.
Mark was there too and he managed to thermal following me but I'm not sure if he was too late into the thermal or if his extra nose weight was working against him or what but he did not get as high but still managed 7 mins to my 9.
We went again at 4:40 and no thermals were climbed but winds were still coming up hill, his big throws really showed then when I was getting 1:50 he was getting 2:15 and you could really see his going higher and penetrating better. his altimeter showed his throws at 150 to 180ft in the strong winds, and in the calm he was getting 120 to 130ft.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Feb 18, 2013 at 02:29 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:03 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,344 Posts
It was a few days ago - but I worked on my micro Unique DLG, trimming out for 1s operation. I am not a monster launcher and my technique is rusty. Good times all the same

FILE0034 (0 min 40 sec)
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:24 AM
Why you swing so hard?
Lake Tahoe
Joined Jun 2006
1,276 Posts
Reattached the vertical tail and added some bling to the wing

Juan
jsnaphook is offline Find More Posts by jsnaphook
Old Feb 19, 2013, 12:37 AM
Joined Feb 2007
703 Posts
Pinky ring worth about fidy, Bling Bling!
NorCal Hobbies is online now Find More Posts by NorCal Hobbies
Old Feb 19, 2013, 03:58 AM
Watching the wingtips
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2010
140 Posts
Flew the mini Topsky for an hour, nice clear evening but a lot of wind which kind of ended up being good practice. Worked a lot on launches, still hooking a bit but getting lots more height with lots less effort.
Flew a bunch of circuits and did a few thermal-esque turns for practice. Heaps of fun, I'm definitely getting hooked.
porcupinepower is offline Find More Posts by porcupinepower