HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:03 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,729 Posts
Flew my Orion at the Y today. I met 3 young men that were totally blown away buy my DLG. One young man drove away and came back with a micro aerobat electric and was pretty skilled flying it. I told one young man about the Radian when he asked about getting into a glider. Hope to see them again.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2013, 02:41 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,011 Posts
Hope you get them into dlg eventually!
I have had a fair few people asking about the blaster after watching it and being blown away by its performance, but then they ask "how much does it cost?" and when I tell them they are really blown away lol.
I tell them that it's not a beginners plane and that they can get a powered one for a lot less which wont break so easily and that hobby king is a good place to find some but no one has turned up with anything apart from an all plastic rtf powered glider on 35mhz with a brushed motor which he crashed to pieces in about 5 mins cause he had the elev and rudder controls mixed up lol and did not come and see me till he had just about finished it for good lol.
Last year someone turned up with a trogan warbird trainer thing and took it off from the little car park which is tight for flying and the only thing I fly from there is a 1 meter tiger moth, I wondered if he was really good or a newbie with no idea, 2 seconds after he took off I knew but he seemed to be getting the hang of it pretty fast and after about 10 mins flying around started setting up for a landing-back onto the car park which is a challenge with my tiger moth-he managed to crash land it onto a big metal storage/changing room container and then bounce it onto the floor, he then quickly shoved it in his car and drove away and I never saw him again. I was flying a asw28 high up at the time otherwise I would have gone over to help but I was not sure if he would think I was interfering/showing off.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:50 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,729 Posts
I think the 3 young men I met yesterday will do fine. They seemed to be interested enough. One of them said he like's drafting, the old fasitioned way, which really surprised me. I may give him my copy of Technical Drawing, we'll see. Gotta nurture that interest.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:35 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,011 Posts
Maybe he'll come up with a new dlg design, something cheap to build and flies well too!
I keep thinking about a dlg from balsa cause I do like to see the ribs and spars etc though the covering all lit up in the sun(when it shines lol).
But from what I've gathered they do not launch as high as a molded wing, so I would probably build it and then not really fly it as much as my blaster!
I have a little "bug" which I sal and only get about 25 seconds dead air which has not seen the light of day since I got my blaster, although I did manage to thermal it quite often, and once I got in a thermal in the corner of the field which was really tight probably less then 1 meter diameter and I turned tight circles inside the thermal and went up at an astonishing rate, looked like it would have specked out in 20 secs had I not bailed out, I've never had the blaster climb like that. But with the blaster you have so much more height/time/distance that thermals are found more often and can be followed out further due to the larger size being easier to see and better penetration to get back again of course.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,729 Posts
Flew at the Y for a while. Condition's weren't too bad, got a couple long flight's.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:14 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,298 Posts
I got my broken/repaired/broken/repaired/etc, etc, etc, Concept X back in the air and trimmed out well enough for me to use it in this weekend AZ Open. I put about 20 minutes on it today after work. The guys at the field were surprised I kept "throwing it right into the thermals", so I game them a basic run through of the "Third Vector" idea, as best I know it.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:39 PM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,011 Posts
Flew blaster this morn for about 1 hour, then the rudder servo(sd150) stopped working, I carried on flying rudderless for a bit but really did not like it, so went home and swapped it out for a hxt900 from hobby king till I get the other sent back and replaced under warantee hopefully, that;s the 3rd sd150 I've had go in much less then a year from new, the 1st one went after about 2 months, either I am using them too much or they are just rubbish! I have had hxt900 in a glider which got as much flying time as this and they lasted 2 years b4 one went and the others are still fine!
Seems to use a little more power though and had to put 230mah back in after 2hr30 so that may mean that I will only to be able to safely fly for 5 hours instead of 7 lmfao.

Anyway, went back down and flew for another hour and then later on for 2 hours, winds were light and sun was out but did not have much luck apart from lots of 2 or 3 min flights and one about 4mins where I did climb the thermal but it just did not amount to much and disappeared over the houses.
Mark was down with his blaster much of the time too and he had about the same luck as me.

Mark had an altimiter from hobbyking and his best launch was 148ft, most were around 130 to 140, he launches higher then me but get about the same dead air time as he has more nose weight then me, it will be interesting to see what heights he can get up to in a thermal.
Last edited by nigelsheffield; Feb 16, 2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:54 PM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
3,020 Posts
Nigel JR DS285 for DLG rudder/elevator.
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Is this guy double jointed?
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:40 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,848 Posts
I recently found an awesome way to avoid rudder servo/linkage problems. Stop using them.: )

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:32 PM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jan 2008
198 Posts
Flew the Blackjack for about an hour today. Windy conditions prevailed with some stiff gusts blowing through. The temperature hovered around 45F and I was seeing about 15-17mph wind speed with gusts in the low 20's.

Launch heights in these conditions were pretty epic with a record height of 203 feet according to my altimeter. My launch height averages around 165-175 ft. in calm conditions and I've never thrown above 180 before today, although I've never been out in such wind either.

Also, the Zone V2 wing continues to impress with its penetration and ability to come back from way (way!) downwind, even in heavy gusty conditions. I feel very confident going wherever I need to, especially knowing that I'll be able to make it back home.

I was flying without ballast today because I haven't worked out a ballast system yet. AUW is 168g with no ballast
jredingt is online now Find More Posts by jredingt
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:57 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,145 Posts
Flew the Dart a bit. Nice flying plane.
Then had Paul A. chuck my Xplorer! Lol
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,729 Posts
Flew my Orion at the Az. open DLG contest between contest round's. Thank you to Dave Rosenthall for some reprograming of my Tx.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:10 PM
Chesty
Reedy Creek, Qld, Australia.
Joined May 2003
369 Posts
Late Arvo DLG Mission (1 min 5 sec)
ClimaxPilot is offline Find More Posts by ClimaxPilot
Last edited by ClimaxPilot; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:50 AM
Watching the wingtips
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2010
140 Posts
Stared at it all day while I wait for new electronics to replace the ones I burnt out. It's been almost a week and I've flown this thing once, just as I was getting hooked too.

Glad everyone else is getting flying time.
porcupinepower is offline Find More Posts by porcupinepower
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:58 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,011 Posts
Flew blaster 3 1/2 hours this morn lol, was so nice and calm at 8am that I had to go down after an hour Mark turned up so I stopped down with him for 1 1/2 hrs, then just as he had turned off his tx to go home I hooked a proper thermal and went up, did 7 mins so decided to stay down a bit longer to look for some more, did another 7 mins a 9:33 and quite a few 5 -6 mins.
Good to know I can still get into the tight little thermals WHEN they are there and strong enough to lift the blaster.

The hxt900 on rudder is performing fine and I know there are better servos but really I am quite happy with it, as long as I get them from hobbyking and not from ebay they seem to be very good and very cheap!