Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:31 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,995 Posts
Flew for over an hour this morning at the usual concrete/gravel lot before work, feels good to move around a bit!
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:35 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,687 Posts
Is it cheating if there's an area where the Y is located that I can get some slope lift?
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:40 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,995 Posts
bad boy!!
ThomasLee is offline Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:41 PM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
Is it cheating if there's an area where the Y is located that I can get some slope lift?
Hey lift is lift, even if it is slope lift!
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:45 AM
United States, WA, Bellingham
Joined Jan 2008
195 Posts
Went out for the maiden flight on my new Black Jack! Even found some nice bits of lift even though it was windy! Mostly just trimming and fine tuning the programming though.
jredingt is offline Find More Posts by jredingt
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:16 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
USA, UT, Alpine
Joined Dec 2010
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
With the way we truncate times to the second, it's only a matter of time before someone puts in the practice to get some sub 1 second turnarounds.
When Jun posted the video of the December Winter Postal I timed his turnarounds and as I remember he had several that were sub 1 second turnarounds.
Hanger Rash is offline Find More Posts by Hanger Rash
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:27 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prodjx View Post
I call that slermalling! really good fun!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:12 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger Rash View Post
When Jun posted the video of the December Winter Postal I timed his turnarounds and as I remember he had several that were sub 1 second turnarounds.
I am not at all surprised by that. When he sets himself up to do it right, he's halfway through the spin when the plane hits his hand.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:40 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,627 Posts
Today cheers
SAM 6812 (6 min 54 sec)
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:47 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,972 Posts
Nice lawn!
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:58 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,443 Posts
7 F and 11 MPH wind and could just muster 2 flights.
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Feb 01, 2013, 08:17 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,010 Posts
Nice turn arounds George. That video will give me a good reference for practice.
electrich is online now Find More Posts by electrich
Old Feb 02, 2013, 03:53 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
3,577 Posts
I tried briefly to try to do the wing catch and turnaround but bottled it after 2 attemps where all I did was knock the wing sending the plane into ground, I have the blaster and the wings being hollow molded I decided I did not want to risk breaking them for the sake of saving a few seconds.
Is there a good way to learn how to do this minimizing the risk? George makes it look so easy! I have my brakes on throttle so would need to put throttle to top during catch too.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:34 AM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,282 Posts
I'm not very consistent with my tip catches, though it was something I've practiced in the past, and I could pull them off well enough to get 8 out of 10 of them for a 10x1m round we flew in a local contest. More often than not, I don't fly well enough that doing tip catches will improve my score enough for it to be worth the risk of damage to my plane.

The one tip I can offer is this. Try to fly the plane PAST where you are standing and grab the tip as the plane flies by. In the event that you miss the tip catch, the plane has enough energy to keep flying, though you may have to walk 20 yards or so to get it.

If you slow the plane down, as if you were doing a normal hand catch, you might run the risk of stalling it. I've even crashed a plane into the back of my legs by bringing it in too slowly.

The other thing that is important is to have the plane stable long before it gets close enough to tip catch. If the air is choppy and you have to make a lot of corrections down low, I find it's better to just land the plane on the ground near me, so all I have to do is grab the wingtip off the ground.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:18 AM
excelling at mediocrity
Franktown, CO. USA
Joined Mar 2009
2,939 Posts
It is easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
...Is there a good way to learn how to do this minimizing the risk? George makes it look so easy! I have my brakes on throttle so would need to put throttle to top during catch too.
Put an "elastonator" on your throttle stick so it automatically returns to the top. Work up to the tip catches by practicing nose catches to perfection then a tip catch setup becomes as simple as making a small adjustment to the flight path. The plane has to be flying smoothly and slow enough to grab... almost at stall. Best done in little or no wind when you're starting out.

Do it a few hundred times.

John
gopherhunter is online now Find More Posts by gopherhunter
RCG Plus Member