SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:32 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
509 Posts
I flew Sunday for a bit, 27 degres f, light wind, and mostly sunny. First throw was 60ft or so missed the catch at the end and softly landed in the 10" of snow. My fuse looked like a freeze pop with no color. Warm plan- cold snow= snow stuck to plane. Then it dawned on me that I have a switch jack on the canopy, so I rushed back to the house(across the street) and dried it off. I figure that open electrical connections and water may not be so good. I went back out for 4 throws, 4 catches! One was around 90 sec the rest less than 60 sec. Carhardts ansd sorrels(boots) do not make for a good launches.
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:50 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,469 Posts
All this talk of torn knees is scary, I do some stretches b4 and after but I think I will do some strengthening exercises for my knees too, I already have a dodgy back, hip, ankle and shoulder, if my knees go too I will really be b******d lol.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:53 PM
United States, NY, Hamburg
Joined Aug 2011
509 Posts
I had Rotator Cuff surgery 2 years ago, not perfect now but I can work and throw planes. Before the surgery I could hardly work, was not DLG ing then, could not have done it.
tailsld is offline Find More Posts by tailsld
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:48 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,308 Posts
Didn'y fly today, though I should have. Pushrods and housings have been ordered from Aradhana atRCBuidler. I'm off to hunt the tips and tricks to build a few Predators in hopes I'll have them done for the AZ Open.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:37 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,196 Posts
Whoa!

http://www.rcdc.nl/wp/
The Task4 Winter Postal is a hard one!!!
1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 in 30mins
O_o

Jun
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:51 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,196 Posts
I wanna practice my downwind turns...

Lol!
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:57 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
United States, WA, Maple Valley
Joined Sep 2010
520 Posts
No flying for a while - maybe I should look for a job in so. california ...

Anyways, I'm trading off my old phone. How does this relate to DLG, you ask? For some parts or RC gear you may have laying around you can have a device to run F3K master. Details are here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post23975222

-Heath
dumb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by dumb_thumbs
Old Jan 30, 2013, 03:34 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats View Post
Whoa!

http://www.rcdc.nl/wp/
The Task4 Winter Postal is a hard one!!!
1x1, 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 in 30mins
O_o

Jun
Wow that's gonna be hard, I dont think anyone will get max score there, unless they fly each flight to the second!

Thanks for the link though, I did not know that existed! Gives me something else to do with my dlg other than just trying to get a thermal and stunts!
Weather is crap again now though, but yesterday there was a 1/2 window of flying and I took it and managed a 4 min flight!
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:42 AM
London
Joined Apr 2004
735 Posts
Nigel, take a look at www.flyquiet.co.uk, the UK based DLG forum. In addition to bunch of UK guys participating in the Dutch winter postal, we (well, Tony) runs a fortnightly duration challenge throughout the year - http://www.flyquiet.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3859.0
MikeHLG is online now Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Jan 30, 2013, 09:33 AM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Wow that's gonna be hard, I dont think anyone will get max score there, unless they fly each flight to the second!...
Max score of 1800 seconds on this task is impossible, given that you must catch and relaunch at least 10 times within the 30 minute window. Even if you nail all the flights to the second, nobody can do zero second turnarounds. Not even Jun, although he's close .

This one will be a real challenge, and should create some separation in the top scores. I like it!
like.2.fly is online now Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:06 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Today
SAM 6797 (5 min 55 sec)
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:31 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
Today
SAM 6796 (6 min 14 sec)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:09 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post
... nobody can do zero second turnarounds. ...
With the way we truncate times to the second, it's only a matter of time before someone puts in the practice to get some sub 1 second turnarounds. If you can string a few of those together in one round, you may be looking at dropping only 2 or 3 seconds in a task like the 5x2. Granted, you'd need the right air to pull it off, something where you could focus on speed over power and still catch the lift.

But that wouldn't be that different that reading the air before a poker task starts.

It wasn't all that long ago that the first 9:59 was called, and made, in poker. Once it was done, it became more commonplace for the "big dogs" to call all in.

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall a discussion prior to the first Team Select cycle where someone was asking if touching a flying plane stops the clock, but you keep flying it, couldn't that count as another flight, if that was your intention.

It could even lead to an airplane design change that allows for a javelin-style re-launch, not much more than a "boost" to the already flying airplane.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Last edited by carlsoti; Jan 30, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Jan 2007
4,851 Posts
Used up 2 battery's flying at the Y got some good air and stayed up for a couple flight's.
prodjx is offline Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:51 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,703 Posts
I might do that tomorrow.