I read RCGroups Hand launch forum.....
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Just flew my trusty green Concept in my back yard. 11 tosses and made my time 9 times (first was 2:00, next 10 the target was 3:00). The two misses were baaaad misses. I have a feeling I should have made them all in that air, but it was still pretty gratifying.
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:28 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
I wish I could justify the price of a Concept. I'd love to experience first hand what all the rave reviews are about.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Sep 12, 2012, 02:30 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,238 Posts
When you consider what they come with and how little you have to do to get them ready to fly, their price isn't much more than a Polaris or Stobel.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:08 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
What do they come with that offsets the their additional cost? I know one thing... You never see used ones come up for sale here at RCG.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:23 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,804 Posts
The Concept comes with all four servos (wing servos already installed). Tail installed. Pull/Pull setup installed and ready... it's honestly about a 30 min job to get one from in the box into the air.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
The Concept comes with all four servos (wing servos already installed). Tail installed. Pull/Pull setup installed and ready... it's honestly about a 30 min job to get one from in the box into the air.
Very good servos, I might add.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:33 PM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,117 Posts
And they fly like the clouds themselves. they seem to float around.

Can be flown nice and slowly and are , to me, very forgiving of my mistakes.

They indicate lift very well yet seem very stable in flight.

For what little time I got to fly mine before the surgery, I love it!

Now back to healing up and living vicariously though this thread until I can fly again......

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:36 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Really! I didn't know that....

Thanks

Mike
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I wish I could justify the price of a Concept.
My personal philosophy on this kind of stuff, and I fully admit I'm a total RC soaring oddball/weirdo/riff raff/whathaveyou, is planes regardless of price are justifiable if A) you have the money and like the plane or B) you have a chance to win a championship.

Regarding B), I'm a big fan of Bill Simmons. He has a saying and that is if you have a chance to win a championship you take it and worry about the consequences later. That is in regard to sports teams, salary caps, etc. but I relate it to hobby competitions. Some may say I am daft for thinking such a thing, but it is my philosophy. And this is a philosophical fun thread so what the heck.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:04 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,100 Posts
Flew one for three hours with friends!
dephela is offline Find More Posts by dephela
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:14 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
When you consider what they come with and how little you have to do to get them ready to fly, their price isn't much more than a Polaris or Stobel.
Hang on... Consider buying a battery, control runs, and servos (2 for Stobel, 4 for Polaris); installing them (wing servos & RDS already pre-installed on a Stobel); gluing in control horns, and gluing on the vertical tail... If all that is worth about $450 to you then those models may be comparable in price. But I can buy a lot of gear and put in a few extra build hours for that much money.

Now ask those that have flown all 3 if there is much difference in performance. I personally doubt it (have flown all 3, but much more time on Stobel & Polaris than Concept). They are all great! Slight differences with each model in specific conditions & categories. They all have their own unique handling and "feel" qualities in the air (personal preference). Can't say one definitely does better at everything than the others do. All have proven to be winners at the highest levels of competition.

Stobel is probably the best bang for the buck overall if you are price shopping at the top end. Concept is the most pre-built, and perhaps the highest level of craftsmanship; but by far the most expensive. Polaris is the stiffest, simplest, and most robust. All launch, float, and perform incredibly well. I'll take 2 of each, please!

Sorry, off topic. Back to what did I do with my DLG today... went out at lunch - Stob V3 - F3KMaster on Android - flew a ladder task and half of a 5x2 before the --WIND-- really cranked up and blew me off the field. Also did some work on a midair repair to my Polaris wing.
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Sep 12, 2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:15 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
I'm one of those guys that gets nervous when the planes I fly get much over a thousand dollars. I've lost a couple very expensive planes (over 2K) in my time and I just felt sick about it for days. That's where I'm coming from. knowing that the Concept is a better value than I thought it was makes owning one seem more palatable to this admitted cheapskate. Don't be too surprised if you see one in my hands sometime not too far down the road.

Anyway, sorry for the distraction. I'm still working on getting my Fr3aK in the air with a rudderless setup.
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Sep 12, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:21 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.2.fly View Post

Stobel is probably the best bang for the buck overall if you are price shopping at the top end. Concept is the most pre-built, and perhaps the highest level of craftsmanship; but by far the most expensive. Polaris is the stiffest, simplest, and most robust. All launch, float, and perform incredibly well. I'll take 2 of each, please!
True dat.

Oh yeah, I flew my lunch away doing QTs because it was kindergarden thermals everywhere (and NO WIND ).
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Sep 12, 2012, 04:25 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
I've lost a couple very expensive planes (over 2K) in my time and I just felt sick about it for days.
I have lost several models myself and it is a real bummer. Did you have your contact info on the models? On some of the ones I lost I didn't have my contact info on the models and I often wonder if somebody found them and might have called me had my contact information been on the models. I try to do a much better job of putting my contact information on models these days.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke