HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:04 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,715 Posts
I threw till my finger was bleeding. Flew for 1 hour not much lift 5 mile an hour wind one 4 minute flight a few 2:30 the rest 1:50 to 2:10 rough but fun.
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:05 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang View Post
I was out this morning under a broken overcast, comparing my two Blasters since making repairs and "adjustments". Two minutes became remarkably easy by about 1030. I finished with a 10-minute flight in soft, amorphous thermals that kept popping up just when I needed them.

Yours, Greg
You the best cheers
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:06 PM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsoti View Post
I managed a whole hour of stick time today. Between today, and the hour I got on turkey day, I put in more stick time than I have during the previous 12 months combined.

This is starting get fun again.

For those of you that live in the snow belt, please don't feel that I'm rubbing it in. I can't fly in the summer here, it's just too dang hot. This IS my flying season.
Way to go Tim keep flying cheers
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:37 PM
up from the skies
United States, CO, Fort Garland
Joined Jul 2011
587 Posts
Flew this morn at the lift factory,qt's and then some 4min practice.
Then the new guy Jeff came along and I launched for him while he got stick time, then we did follow the leader. Jeff's a quick learner and will make fast progress .

Training session #2 went good in corrales wind made for big launches,couldn't make my fingers bleed , so I gotta start throwing harder- blood = effort= progress

Tom
Tmfury is offline Find More Posts by Tmfury
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:43 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,678 Posts
Flew DLG from 130 till 5 and probably got about 75 launches.. It was breezy but steady which made for good launches and landing practice. Not much lift but a sunny November day in the mid 60's can't be beat.

Though not a serious DLG, I maidened a new Alula, a good time foamy which will be my lunchtime companion in the car at all times.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:06 PM
United States, MD, Lexington Park
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Wind was low and temps comfortable today, so decided to go out for a bit after church. Was able to accomplish two first-time DLG tasks. The first one was getting stuck about 45 feet up a tree. The second was using various long poles from the house taped together to knock it out of the tree. All-in-all a good day since I thought my DLG was going to be lost forever.
greg00miller is offline Find More Posts by greg00miller
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Aug 2011
865 Posts
I watched video of Bruce Davidson throwing and see I have been gently tossing my glider in comparison. I need to try and destroy it on the throw will give it a shot after work tonight.
xrx1113 is offline Find More Posts by xrx1113
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrx1113 View Post
I watched video of Bruce Davidson throwing and see I have been gently tossing my glider in comparison. I need to try and destroy it on the throw will give it a shot after work tonight.
People have always told me that I don't look like I'm even trying when I throw. For a long time I was only launching in to 120-140ft. This last weekend I threw my friend's Helios with an altimeter and got 175. Please don't try to put everything into it or you just might destroy it. Eventually you'll get the altitude, but for now focus on technique. If you try to put everything you've got into it then your technique will suffer and that's when bad things happen: tip strikes, unnatural torques on the wing, hooking, etc.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:06 PM
Cayman Islands, Grand Cayman, Patricks Island
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
I've been grounded for almost two weeks now, the winds have been between 15mph and 22mph consistently, just not enjoyable to DLG in this kind of wind,
and scary as hell trying to land in it with so much turbulence.

I'm forced back to flying my Rc Helis, they are the only thing that will handle this
wind! I have to say i am sooooo missing my DLG fix

The helis just don't compare, i'm totally hooked on DLG, nothing else compares.

Danny
drmgcm is offline Find More Posts by drmgcm
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:12 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
You like flying helis in that kind of wind? I never did. When it gets windy like that, the only thing I liked to fly were my pattern planes and even then it needed to be right down the runway.

I've flown my DLGs in 15mph wind and been OK with it. 22mph and I generally don't much like flying anything. I've been told that certain glider types love that kind of wind. I just don't have any experience with them.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
You like flying helis in that kind of wind? I never did. When it gets windy like that, the only thing I liked to fly were my pattern planes and even then it needed to be right down the runway.

I've flown my DLGs in 15mph wind and been OK with it. 22mph and I generally don't much like flying anything. I've been told that certain glider types love that kind of wind. I just don't have any experience with them.
I do alot of big open aerobatic flying in high winds, and the 3d moves, i've been doing helis for a long long time so the wind is not a problem.

Yep my experience on the DLG is upto about 13mph and i am comfortable, as it gets stronger i don't enjoy it as much, hey it's all about your comfort level.

D
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:24 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmgcm View Post
Yep my experience on the DLG is upto about 13mph and i am comfortable, as it gets stronger i don't enjoy it as much, hey it's all about your comfort level.

D
That's for sure and I can't land a heli very well in much wind. It's gets dicey for me down at "ground effect" level.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
That's for sure and I can't land a heli very well in much wind. It's gets dicey for me down at "ground effect" level.
Maybe i will get more comfortable on the DLG over time, be able to put more ballast in it and fly it in higher winds, but really at higher winds you are fighting
to catch any useable thermals, you must just bounce through them at that
speed.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:07 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,322 Posts
My personal experience has been that RC glider guys are more likely to fly in worse conditions than any other RC group I have ever flown with.

I think it is because of the competition aspect. A contest won't be called off due to 15 mph winds. If there are 15 mph winds a non contest pilot could just as easily decide to do something else that day. RC gliders has a higher percentage of people doing contests (from my experience) than other areas of RC.

For me my favorite models to fly in high winds are electric or string launch. Get up above 400 feet quickly and fly in the smooth (but fast moving) air.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Nov 2005
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwoebke View Post
My personal experience has been that RC glider guys are more likely to fly in worse conditions than any other RC group I have ever flown with.

I think it is because of the competition aspect. A contest won't be called off due to 15 mph winds. If there are 15 mph winds a non contest pilot could just as easily decide to do something else that day. RC gliders has a higher percentage of people doing contests (from my experience) than other areas of RC.

For me my favorite models to fly in high winds are electric or string launch. Get up above 400 feet quickly and fly in the smooth (but fast moving) air.

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

Hmm you have a point there with the electric and bungy launch, might have to look into that, i had totally forgot about them

Danny