HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 04, 2012, 07:43 PM
Michigan, USA
Joined Aug 2004
107 Posts
Apollo

Turned out to be a nice day here in Michigan, mid 40's with 5-10mph winds and bits of sun. Maidened my new (to me) Apollo. It's in pretty good shape just needed a little TLC. After some initial hand tosses and trimming I was quite impressed with how well it work the low light lift, (10.5oz auw). Specked it out several times from about 20ft. Just kept working the bubble till it finally broke free. That's always a thrill!!. I didn't quite know what to expect from the Apollo because there isn't much on RC groups about it, so it was a pleasant suprise. It has a beautiful bagged wing and a fairly stiff fuse and launches were pretty decent. I think I going to like this one!

Best Regards,
Steve
jazz8388 is offline Find More Posts by jazz8388
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
Windy day, or perhaps it was that our field was just outside a TFR, but only one other flyer showed up. Caught thermals some of the time but they tended to go downwind very fast, usually faster than downwind than up. A couple of big thermals came through, good enough for 4 minute flights before they drifted too far. If I was a better flyer I could have probably strung together a whole bunch of the little thermals, instead of only two or three.

Elevator linkage popped out at top of one launch, but somehow got it down with no damage! Fixed linkage and continued.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:31 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,272 Posts
I finally got to do a real maiden of my new LightSpeed-IV Sat. It still needs some fine tuning though. I found that a nickle in the nose gave me a better feel. I don't think I had one single launch that didn't appear to hook left. I think maybe I just need to get used to the curved blade. This model is designed to run, and seems to like that. I also got my turns, and general inputs smoothed out.....that made a big difference too.
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:51 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,828 Posts
My DLG's are 5220 miles away from me. Hello from Bangkok Thailand. This city is huge. Anyway it will be two weeks before i get to throw again. Somehow i will survive.
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:32 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,417 Posts
Not a DLG, but I stuck a motor in this: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post23040352

See posts 111, 112, and 118.

Piper J3
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Nov 05, 2012, 08:57 AM
Chuck 'Em and Chase 'Em
United States, NY, Plainview
Joined Aug 2005
8,093 Posts
I got a flashlight and looked at the sporttube containing my planes. they are safe. Still waiting for power in hopes of flying, having heat, getting gas so I can go to the field, etc...

Should I be able to fly over thanksgiving and have power and gas, I will trully be greatful....

Frank
Fly2High is offline Find More Posts by Fly2High
Last edited by Fly2High; Nov 05, 2012 at 09:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:04 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,515 Posts
I moved it from one corner of the basement to another.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Nov 05, 2012, 09:18 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,853 Posts
I flew Saturday and Sunday. Cold outside in the low 50s or high 40s. This end of DST thing is going to hinder my flying after work. Although maybe I can sneak in some before work sessions.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:13 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
2,083 Posts
Well I wrecked mine today. Instead of heading skyward on launch, she went straight out parallel to the ground, then tucked. Full up elevator had no effect and she hit the grass fast at a shallow angle....crushed nose, bent pod, wrinkled wing, tails destroyed. <sigh> Time to build another.

Embarrassed to admit the cause....I had switched off the transmitter Some dog walkers had arrived at the field, and as fun as it was buzzing their three Irish Setters and a Pit Bull, I decided to go. As I started walking to the car one woman called out to throw it once more, so I did
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Nov 17, 2012, 11:54 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,515 Posts
Been there and done that. That's one thing about these DLGs that never happens with any other RC plane I've ever had. I've never got a plane in the air with the radio off.... And I've done it at both ends.

So today a flew the heck out of the Fr3aK. It's a great plane. I'm looking forward to buying a SuperFr3aK when they become available.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Nov 18, 2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:09 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,730 Posts
2 week's ago I bought an Orion DLG from Doug Montgomery. And it's the best DLG Iv'e ever had. It fly's better than I do. I was going to go to the store's but stopped off at the YMCA field and put in some flight's. And there was a beautiful sunset too. Tomorrow morning I'll be off the Maxwell Sch. and do some more flying with it.
prodjx is online now Find More Posts by prodjx
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:08 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,272 Posts
Looked at mine and concluded I went a little crazy, so I have decided to sell all but one. It's not working out as well as I had hoped for with my physical limitations.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
I'm about halfway through my Blaster 3 build, there was a close call almost getting a finger stuck to one of the flaperons while CA-ing the control horn in haha still trying to figure out which battery/reciever combo to buy. I really like the way the B3 comes together!
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Apr 2009
348 Posts
Read this thread and was reminded despite the advent of a lawn dart i still have heat light and power, my thoughts to you Frank, best wishes.
mrdoodah is offline Find More Posts by mrdoodah
Old Nov 18, 2012, 02:36 PM
flying since 2000
Winterthur ZH, Switzerland
Joined Mar 2009
514 Posts
I flew my Twister 3, timed my flights, and submitted my score for the Winterpostal 12/13! Great idea I think.
sfluck is offline Find More Posts by sfluck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flying the Spider X on the...