Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:41 AM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
i did manage to make my first repair, being new to this i guess i had been flying too long and my battery was low. plane went straight up then straight down, broke the wing but after a little glass work a couple hrs later i was back to throwing it up in the air. not sure if it was luck but plane seems to fly the same so im happy with my first repair job
Nicky2times is offline Find More Posts by Nicky2times
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 04:44 AM
Wilson, NC
Joined Jun 2006
697 Posts
lets get together

If you did not get to Wilson to watch the ECHLGF contest Oct 5-7 you missed a golden opportunity to get some god info from some of the best in the country. Nevertheless, we need to get together and see if that would help sort things out.

We fly DLG almost every weekend in Wilson. You could not be more than 40 minutes away. My schedule is pretty flexible, I could even come to you if you would like. It does not have to be on a weekend.

Dick
DProseus is offline Find More Posts by DProseus
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:24 AM
Joined Jan 2008
4,335 Posts
I pulled the Optima-6 receivers out of my Blasters, and replaced them with the Minima-6E. Saved about half the weight, and half the space. They work fine, and no BODA to cope with.

I had to upgrade my A-9 transmitter and module to interface with the new receivers, but it still works fine with my other airplanes.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is offline Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2011
146 Posts
I was out at Wilson that's where I picked up my plane at, this is so addicting. one of these weekends I would like to come out there and fly with you guys but my schedule with work is tight.
Nicky2times is offline Find More Posts by Nicky2times
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,991 Posts
Not today...but....
Had a load of fun on Sunday!!

Went past the great firewall of China on Saturday for a weekend of fun, Sunday morning woke up bright and early for morning tea, and left the town I was staying in at 11:30. Arrived at the flying field at 12:45, and helped my friend program his new plane.

Thermals were STRONG but very small, if you aren't able to get a thermal you were landing in less than 45 seconds, maybe even 30 seconds sometimes...the sink was ridiculous!

Things got better after maybe 3:30 and the wind died down, most of us were able to get 2 minute + flights on lazy launches and no thermal turning, man it was heaven!!! Did some flight testing on my float mode but mainly just relaxed and enjoyed myself. Left the field at 5:30 and my friend drove me to the train station, arrived back in Hong Kong at around 9:30.
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Steamed out the wrinkle and dents my pooch helped with . Let dry a couple of days and fix the torn glass. Looks good so far.
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:18 AM
are we there yet?
USA, AZ, Surprise
Joined May 2004
1,211 Posts
Finished installing a new curved offset blade in Helios #1. Next to get it out and fly before this weekends contest.

alan
Alan C is offline Find More Posts by Alan C
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:35 PM
SSP ASP#88
United States, NC, Durham
Joined Apr 2009
86 Posts
Bought my 2nd DLG, a Zone V2, yesterday, took it out today in 0-5mph wind to maiden it. Had a few squirrely flights; my fingers aren't nearly as good as Glider's. Then I landed it a bit sideways and caught the horizontal stab, popping the mount off the boom. :-|

Tonite, I get to make my first repair on the Zone.

Edit: Misidentified seller.
labrown is offline Find More Posts by labrown
Last edited by labrown; Oct 20, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:17 AM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Charging the battery and watching the wind blow 15 to 18

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Nov 2008
268 Posts
Today I had a lot of pleasure flying my light VooDoo.
A little wind was coming from the trees so it was thermal and some slope.
Thermals were small and challenging but I really appreciate these conditions.

A great session of practise.
leroyo is offline Find More Posts by leroyo
Old Oct 21, 2012, 02:54 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,631 Posts
Took 4th place in the local DLG contest yesterday.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Oct 21, 2012, 04:35 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,326 Posts
I went flying with my Polaris for the second time today. I'm still adjusting to rudderless but I just love that darn plane. I won't say its the perfect plane but I believe it's as close to perfect for me as anything I could imagine.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Oct 21, 2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:16 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,332 Posts
My DLG's shed a tear of jealousy today. I went back to our roots. You see, 2 weeks ago I purchased an old 40" javelin launch glider that was in need of some TLC. 2 weeks of sanding, filling, gluing and re-covering and she was ready to hit the air again. I maidened it yesterday, in less than optimal conditions that resulted in breaking off the V-tail. I got her all fixed up and ready for today, I flew that thing alllllll day long. I won't soon forget this day.

First off, this plane made me really, really, reeeeaalllllly appreciate the height we get with the modern DLG's. Its rediculous, hard as I can throw, I maybe get 30' doing the old style. You have about 30 seconds to find your ride or you better come back in for a landing. However, that was not an issue today. I started tossing around noon and each toss was putting it deeper and deeper into the soybean field I was flying next to. By the third toss I was in the middle of the bean field and saw something that made my heart flutter. There, less than 50' from where she landed, there was not one, but TWO brewing thermals about 50' apart that were so strong they were pulling the leaves off of the bean plants and sucking them straight up into a vortex!! I flung that little plane as hard as I could and headed straight for the closest vortex. I hit the core of it and BAAAMMM! She got drug straight up, tail first!!! Within 30 seconds, I was at 200'and barely in control. Keep in mind, this thing is a 2 channel v-tail, the CG was at an approximate guess (which later testing found it to be nowhere close), and there was a warp in the right wing that without full left rudder would make it turn into a right-handed death spiral. It was an abosulute blast! I was in the middle of the field, hootin' and hollerin', watching this 15 year old little plane getting spec'd in the best thermal I've ever seen. Its a moment of soaring that will be with me forever.

After landing from that incredible ride, I ran back to the house (on the other side of the field), fixed the warp, took half of the lead out of the nose, and SPRINTED back out to the field ready to throw again. Over and over, I flung that little thing into some of the best thermals I've been in all year, maybe ever. There's a feeling, a rush of sorts, I get with this thing when it hooks up and you know its in the lift and on its way to the clouds. Its unlike any rush I get with my other gliders. The last time I felt that way soaring was when I was in Hawaii at Waimea Bay sloping an Alula, an excellent story maybe for another thread Anyhow, I finally called it quits when my shoulder started throbbing at 5pm and 30 seconds was all I could do. Throughout the day I had three 10 minute flights, a couple longer, the best was 25 minutes which was filled with several 10' saves and a couple high altitude losses where I had to spiral it back down. I havent had that much fun soaring in a long, long time. I have $2K of high-end, top of the line competition composite ships at my disposal, and instead I spent all day chucking a 2 channel balsa and monokote HLG that cost me $30. Simplicity kicks ass.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,326 Posts
That's cool, Kyle. Ya know, why couldn't you just give it a gentle discus launch and get 30' or so without hurting you arm? Wouldn't that be better or was it the nostalgia the thing that got you going today?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:32 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,400 Posts
Those old Javelin hand launch models didn't typically have the fuselage twist strength to not have the fuselage twist like crazy and the model roll into the ground. Or break.

Kyle, I'm glad you had fun with javelin. Me, I lived through the javelin days and was terrible at it and was happy when tip launching came about. No desire from me to ever go back.

Ryan
rdwoebke is offline Find More Posts by rdwoebke