HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:53 PM
Mike M.
United States, UT, Eden
Joined Jan 2010
5,032 Posts
Flew the Stobel V3 in the rain during lunch today, testing a more forward CG. It's the only plane I've unpacked and reassembled since the TS. Barely a sprinkle when I launched, but coming down hard by the time I landed 2 minutes later. Held my Tx vertical so the face wouldn't get wet. Stood under a pine tree for a while, then dashed under a pavilion for 15 minutes until it stopped. Sun broke out momentarily and it was gorgeous! Dried the plane off with my shirt and flew the tar out of it for the next half hour. Re-trimmed, launch tuning, lots of QTs. Lift was so light, but made multiple 4+ minute flights at under 100' the whole time. Don't think I ever flew above launch height once. Also got creamed several times with 1 minute flights. Lovely outing, and the V3 is flying great at 71mm.

Wishing I had someone else there to fly with...
like.2.fly is offline Find More Posts by like.2.fly
Last edited by like.2.fly; Sep 10, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:00 PM
a.k.a. GlideZilla
Australia, VIC, Macleod
Joined Sep 2003
203 Posts
I posted a couple of faulty ION DS-57 MG servos back to Cody at Skip Miller Models. I bought four of these servos with the intent of installing them in the Zone V2 wing I'm assembling from Seba (Pyrsly) - the last one he sold before turning pro.

I run up the four servos using a servo driver and discovered that one of them would "chatter" severely at certain points along the rotation cycle. By chatter I mean it would visibly and audibly oscillate as it passed certain points when cycling from one extreme to the other. I contacted SMM who immediately mailed a replacement to me. While I was setting up two of the other three for a top drive install I had one of the previously working servos fail with exactly the same symptoms. This happened as I pulled off the servo horn to align it. Again I contacted SMM and they have a replacement on backorder for me. I sent the two duds back to them today.

Based on a failure rate of 2/5 I've decided to revert to the larger and heavier Airtronics 802 and have enlarged the wing cutouts to fit these.

So the net is that I have received excellent service from SMM but have no faith in these servos.

Cheers
Dean
Dean.roberts is offline Find More Posts by Dean.roberts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:02 PM
Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2001
882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee View Post
I packed a few kits and took them to the post office!

I wish I could say I flew though!
Was one of them a cool green 1M Dragonfly!?!

Mark
MarcusT is offline Find More Posts by MarcusT
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:03 PM
Mark Triebes
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2001
882 Posts
... and, oh yeah, I looked at my 3 DLG's as I walked by the craft room ... no flying today.
MarcusT is offline Find More Posts by MarcusT
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:05 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,366 Posts
This thread is a fun read. I looked at my box with 3 happy Concepts in it but did not put any together yet since the TS. My left ankle started hurting on Sat and progressively got worse. It looks like surgery will be in order to remove a bone spur...

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:08 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,838 Posts
Installed the servos in the fuse and assembled the wire harnes for my TS 3. I fly tomorrow and Wednesday.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:14 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jan 2010
29 Posts
stacked it

I crashed into a light pole, split my boom, dinged the wing and broke my stab mount. Thought it was already on my side of the pole. All very fixable but I really need to reduce my fixing/building to flying time ratio.
It's interesting how the glider appeared to be in a slow floaty cruise from a distance of maybe 200 metres away and 100 feet up. The sudden impact and associated carnage made me realise how efficiently and quickly these gliders are actually moving around the sky.

The highlight before that was speccing it from 5 feet off the ground.

It seems every time I fly a dlg people ask me where to buy them and how much they cost, as though you can just go down to the toy store and pick one up for the kids. (I so wish that were true).
I have to explain that it involves at least a dozen hours work, hundreds of dollars, buying tools and materials, learning new building techniques... etc. People invariably lose interest instantly and walk away.
I'm convinced that the first person to mass produce a decent receiver-ready dlg will make a fortune and increase the number of enthusiasts by orders of magnitude..

Off now to search for boom fixing techniques...
Adriel_ is offline Find More Posts by Adriel_
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:29 AM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,004 Posts
On Saturday, I flew in a lot of wind. I don't launch that strongly, but I partially stripped a servo on one of the launches. Decided that was enough. Need to stiffen up the aileron damage so they won't flutter. Managed to catch some lift now and then.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2012, 01:55 AM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,272 Posts
I got home (late) from work, picked up the wing to my LiteSpeed that I got out last weekend to redo a delam repair (and never got around to), and looked it over to see what I still have yet do do to it. Then sat it back down after I decided it's too late, and I'm to tired to work on it.

It's simple job, but it seems that I'm never going to get it done. I bet it would have been finished long ago if it was my one and only plane.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:04 AM
South Africa, GP, Johannesburg
Joined May 2012
39 Posts
Maiden in wind, lift and a lot of fun.

Flew my newly rebuilt Karisma (Synergy foil) . Testing fase still so later the alt will go in to check launch heights.

Forgot down elev mix for full flap so that was fun the first time!

It's like a Ferrari in the sky with the High Aspect ratio wing.
DLGJunky is offline Find More Posts by DLGJunky
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:04 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
3,084 Posts
Glad to hear it Donnie, and you should get it soon Mark

Can I say I'm planning on going flying tomorrow morning? It counts, doesn't it?
I've also been cutting a lot of tail hinges today, I kinda want to go home early and just go fly, weather's too nice. Maybe I'll just watch some DLG videos online.... I hate not being able to fly

Keep the stories coming guys!!!
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:09 AM
Is my CG correct?
Wollongong, Aus
Joined Sep 2009
5,096 Posts
I thought about DLG's for a bit-does that count? Only have built up Rudder elevator, and thinking of a new wing for onewith ailerons and less weak spots
discostu956 is offline Find More Posts by discostu956
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:32 AM
I have a DLG problem...
United States, NC, Southern Pines
Joined Aug 2011
460 Posts
I took a carbon Validol out to the local soccer field during lunch break. Gorgeous day here in NC, finally cooled off. Low 80's, 5mph breeze. Only threw 3 times. Easy thermals.

J
Scrib is offline Find More Posts by Scrib
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:29 AM
Aussie F3K Pilot
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2008
528 Posts
I picked up a broke plane to fix, looked at it, got sad and put it down again.
Machineman is offline Find More Posts by Machineman
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:30 AM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,076 Posts
Fixed a broken flaperon horn.
dephela is online now Find More Posts by dephela