Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:59 PM
Duane
No. VA
Joined Nov 2004
1,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwill6 View Post
Put my Mystic about 60 feet up in a tree No idea how I'm gonna get it down
Try calling some local tree service companies to see if they can send out a tree climber for a reasonable fee.
Wazmo is online now Find More Posts by Wazmo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:00 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,540 Posts
Quote:
One way is to throw a line up over the branch it is in and try to wiggle it loose.
Don't try to actually snag the model, just the branch. Less chance of damaging it.

Either that or get a long pole and push the model up and out.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:11 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgeorge View Post
I flew I flew how cool is that.
Awesome George!
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:47 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
441 Posts
I neglected it

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:48 AM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,399 Posts
I went to a TD contest instead.

Last TD contest of the season so the TD plane will likely spend the next few months in the box while the DLGs get flown and hopefully a few more built.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:04 AM
usaf3kteam
Joined Sep 2005
5,624 Posts
Jun, Mike, George and Charlie are all going to donate one of our DLG’s after the 2013 World DLG competition is over to help get the raffle sales rolling. Jun is pretty sure he will be donating a Stoble-V3. Mike is offering whichever Concept X2 or X3 has the least wear and tear in his collection. George and I will both be donating a Concept also. I am not sure if George will be donating an X2 or an X3 but I do know that I will be donating an X2. It is important to point out that all of these DLG’s will be used and they may or may not be in “like new” condition. All of these will have made the trip to Denmark and back and will all (with the possible exception of mine which actually made the trip to Sweden in 2011) very likely have been flown in the competition. The radio's will not be included (the exception here is that Mike will include the Spektrum receiver if the winner is planning to use a Spektrum radio) Mike will also give the model program to the winner of his Concept if the winner is using a Spektrum/JR radio.

Thank you to everyone for your continued support!
www.teamusaf3k.com
rcgeorge is offline Find More Posts by rcgeorge
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:08 PM
Fly, tinker, fly, tinker....
United States, WA, Snohomish
Joined May 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
This will at least make you chuckle as they demonstrate various "methods" for retrieving your plane from a tree. Best of luck to you.

Flite Test - Plane Retrieval - FLITE TIP (11 min 44 sec)
numba is online now Find More Posts by numba
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:05 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Finally put the new gears in my stripped aileron servo. Been so long since I've done that I almost forgot how

Took it out for a fling or two and found lift but it was quite windy for me so gave it up. Went out tonight just before sundown, almost calm. Found out I need a bunch of trim work on cruse and float modes. I made three catches in a row. Very unusual for me. I still have a hard time getting used to a plane coming RIGHT AT ME

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:55 PM
sewing machine thumb
United States, CA, Palo Alto
Joined Jul 2001
2,305 Posts
Yesterday, I was a terrible pilot. At least half my flights got bogged down in terrible sink and I was lucky to stay up for a minute. I couldn't help but wonder if I'd ever figure out this thermaling stuff.

Today I was a great pilot. Right around lunchtime I flew 20 2-minute target flights, and made 19 of them. I've never done that before. Later in the afternoon I flew 12 3-minute target flights and made 11, then I played pretend poker and made a 9:59.

What will tomorrow bring?
Frank S is offline Find More Posts by Frank S
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:01 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,158 Posts
I gazed longingly at my DLG from 60 feet below it, willing it to free itself from the evil tree which held it bound. Tomorrow I call a tree-trimming service to see if they'll be willing to get it and how much it would cost me. I doubt it'll cost less than the materials to build a new one, though.
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:23 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiill6
I gazed longingly at my DLG from 60 feet below it, willing it to free itself from the evil tree which held it bound. Tomorrow I call a tree-trimming service to see if they'll be willing to get it and how much it would cost me. I doubt it'll cost less than the materials to build a new one, though.
\

I've had to get gliders out of trees a few times and used those limb trimming poles duck taped together. It sometimes took near an hour of patience and a sore neck afterwards but no fees. Mine were like 30-40 feet high though. Just an idea.

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:59 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,371 Posts
Quote:
Cost me $100 to hire a tree climber.
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:00 AM
Team Hong Kong F3K
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2010
2,987 Posts
Thanks Joe, shouldn't be long before I get it in the air again.
I flew a few hours YESTERDAY but only looked at my sportube today
ThomasLee is online now Find More Posts by ThomasLee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Neos Layups
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:56 AM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,056 Posts
I finally got the XP-4 with a bad wing servo on the bench to find that the bad one came right out and that the good one, which is going to be replaced anyhow, is firmly epoxied into the wing. I think I'm going to lose it when I dremel the thing out!
dephela is online now Find More Posts by dephela
Old Oct 08, 2012, 12:36 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,871 Posts
The other day, I made a DLG map. Post where your at if you would.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1746340
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON