3,169 Posts
Made wing bags out of dollar store car shades for my new P2
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,976 Posts
I went out for a late afternoon session in rapidly cooling air. I wasn't really expecting much at that time of day, but my second launch stayed up for nearly 15 minutes
Jun is right....DLGs rock. Even my little scratch-built!
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:25 PM
M Seid
Solana Beach, Ca
Joined Sep 2006
2,981 Posts
I hate pictures of food on facebook. I dont care what you are eating. Or what you ate. Im always fearful someone with a sense of humor will post their food before... and "after" and I am talking about the pre flush after.... Gavin....So dont take it personal when I say that I hope this thread does not become "I flew today and it was great" for every single post because I would rather see a picture of your dinner lol... (seriously, nothing personal at all for any previous posts!)

So, Ill tell you what I did today. I put on my 2007 polecat challenge shirt. It says "Fluffy was my co pilot" on the back, and I started through the mental preparation of shipping my models back east to OlegFest 2012. This is a true "process" for me. You see, back in 2007, I had a bit of problem shipping models and I still havent forgotten it. Im going even going to write about it, because I do not want to summon any evil shipping spirits, but I did think a lot about that contest today, and the two custom vandals that never saw the pennsylvania sky. I went back to a post that I wrote after the contest and thought that Id paste it for you all here.

From June 2007-

"I was telling a friend today about the experience of going to a contest with no equipment, (or destroyed by baggage crew equipment) and he said, well isnt that good for everyone else? One less guy to beat? And that sort of sums up the wrong way of looking at things.
The DLG community for me has been such a positive. This last weekend at the Polecat is such a fine example of generousity, and selflessness.

I saw Phil Barnes at the IHLGF, and although I flew in several rounds with him, I dont think I really met him, and he had serious face going every time I saw him. You need that face sometimes on your way to victory in that event. Ive read many of his posts, but had no personal sense of who he was. After it was clear to me neither of the planes would ever be in the air again, I called Geoff Jones at 11 pm and gave him the bad news. He gave me the worse news. He said despite how good he was,
he couldnt build me a new plane and have it to me in 36 hours... he suggested I call Phil because Phil ownes one of 2 Vandals east of the Rockies..
I sent him a PM and then posted my request for help.

Phil sent me a message thursday morning and resurrected my weekend. He didnt ask for a thing. Didnt tell me not to wreck it, didnt pull out rental car damage waiver, but called me on the phone, left me a message, and said, I have a plane for you, and brought with him his 6 Channel Vandal.
I picked it up on Friday in Carlisle.
Think about it. Im going to fly a kit built by Phil Barnes.
I showed ASK and Phil the damage to my Vandal, and what do you think happened? They both laughed, dropped what they were doing and said we can fix that in no time.
Bruce Davidson walked up, and said, Ive seen worse...
ASK gave me a list of things to buy at walmart- like a sandwich sealer and some plastic cutting boards for the mylar. Denny had a boom,
and phil and I set about sleaving the boom internally with a coupler made from the new boom. I didnt go get the walmart stuff, and the
Vandals are going back to factory Saturday morning, hand delivered by me, to be rebuilt by the Geoff when he gets some time, but the point is that these guys were right on it. First thought is to be helpful.
What I can say to everyone is that is the way to be. That is the way I try to be, but not what I expect. Just solid from everyone.
Thats not the last of the story.

I took the Vandal back and programmed my Evo for the 6 channels, and trimmed it Saturday morning before the contest. I midaired with Scotts plane 5 minutes into the flight. I belive PA is a no fault state so no claims were filed,
but Phils Vandal was in the air for 5 minutes, and was now without a the entire bottom half of the rudder. Sheered right off. 30 minutes before the start. HOWS THIS GOING FOR LUCK???

Bruce helped me fix the rudder, and that was the last mishap of the contest. It took a little bit of time to adjust to the heavier than Im used to model but to be 10th at the finish of Saturday, and then third on sunday is overwhelming. My familiarity with the plane helped alot. But, I had a plane to fly. Thank you Phil (your rudder is on the way) thank you ASK, and thank you Bruce, thank you Denny. You guys made this last weekend a very very good one."

I have a lot of very good experiences in DLG and this was one of them. So I wanted to share what I did in DLG today. Tomorrow I might post a picture of a hot dog.... never know.
M Seid is offline Find More Posts by M Seid
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by M Seid; Sep 21, 2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Keep calm and don't blink
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jun 2005
1,984 Posts
I did this - well OK the vid was a few days ago, but I was back there today

Raven DLG (1 min 47 sec)
KiwiKid is online now Find More Posts by KiwiKid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Jazilla 3.2m flying wing
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:52 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
I did this - well OK the vid was a few days ago, but I was back there today
Nice!
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 06:55 PM
a.k.a. Matt Nelson
North Tustin, CA
Joined Oct 2008
1,754 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid View Post
I have a lot of very good experiences in DLG and this was one of them. So I wanted to share what I did in DLG today.
Mike - thanks for sharing that (again). We definitely have a great community - some of the most generous and helpful people i've ever met.

Me? I walked past my DLGs at least twice today
MattN is online now Find More Posts by MattN
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:01 PM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,556 Posts
Built it and flew it
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:32 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch View Post
Built it and flew it
And got beat by me a few times!!!!! Sweet!

Threw the Helios a bit today. My launches sucked as I am still recovering from a little issue, but it launches like a rocket!!!!! Still gettin 150' on a wounded arm!

Flew AULD's with Jon Finch till he had to go and then helped another friend get his topsky flying correctly.
JONBOYLEMON is offline Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:48 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,271 Posts
I didn't do anything with the ones I have. But I did order a new Lightspeed-4, and will be thinning out some of my other DLGs by selling 2 or 3 of them.

Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Old Sep 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,659 Posts
Maidened my new TS3 20 minutes before the pilots meeting at the local DLG contest. Flew it in all but the first round. Now I can concentrate on trimming it out.
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:49 AM
let's FLY!
United States, VT, Castleton
Joined Dec 2007
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKid View Post
I did this -
Taking chances....nice! It's that kind of low-alt. fun that broke my tail the other day.

Fixing that tail today.
JimZinVT is online now Find More Posts by JimZinVT
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:23 AM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jun 2011
267 Posts
Need a little help

What differences would I experience between a Topsky 1.0 and a Topsky 2.0 as a dlg newbie? Are wing repair procedures the same? Would I notice any flying characteristic differences as a newbie? Thanks in advance for some help. Tim
NZ7C is offline Find More Posts by NZ7C
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:23 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,659 Posts
The big difference is that you will not be a newbie for long and then you will realize the TS2 is an all around better DLG. The investment is more which makes the TS1 more appealing however if you have some RC flying experience the TS2 will be the better choice
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:47 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,339 Posts
I flew my DLG in a practice contest today, very poorly I may add. All that practice these past two weeks for NOTHING!! Anyway, it was also my first experience at CD'ing an event, that was cool
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG