HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:51 PM
Sink? Circling now to confirm.
United States, UT, American Fork
Joined May 2002
16,998 Posts
Looked at em.

Told them I love them, that they are pretty, and that we will go out again soon, but until then, stay locked up in the basement out of sight where you wont cause problems with the boss lady, who is also pretty, nice, and I love to go out with her.
JONBOYLEMON is online now Find More Posts by JONBOYLEMON
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:07 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,027 Posts
Was away from the computer Sat. and Sun.

Saturday I managed to tip strike my Sidewinder 2. Fortunately when it went tumbling off it went BETWEEN the other guys flying that round. One little ding on a wing tip, a cracked bulkhead temporarily fixed by binding with string, and a crack in the tailboom, not too severs.

Sunday I managed to finish getting my other glider ready just before the contest. Doing well halfway through the first round when I managed to snap the boom. (Pretty sure it wasn't a tip strike, may have been due to a repair that it had when I bought it.) CA'd some carbon on the other one and flew it without incident. Missed a round. Terrible scores. Wish I'd had more time with it before it broke. The Salonit seems to fly really well.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:17 PM
Joined Aug 2012
176 Posts
I got the vertical stab epoxyed on, added alittle carbon around the vertical and horizontal mount and got the boom attached to the pod. WooHoo.....it now looks like a plane
txg8gxp is offline Find More Posts by txg8gxp
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:39 PM
United States, LA, New Iberia
Joined Nov 2011
164 Posts
Went out at a small town town ballpark while the wife was playing softball and managed one 2 minute flight out of an hour of tossing the Helios. Limited space so I couldn't really stretch her out to even make 1:30s. Mostly :50-1:05. Managed to hit the sis in laws big honking suburban (or whatever it may be) and split the leading edge span wise for about 2" with a ding into the d-box. So tonight I've got it under weights with a homemade bed of pink foam about 6" wide and about 60# on that section. Hopefully back ready for the weekend. Worked on the frankenplane as well. Made up my aileron linkages.
brs608 is offline Find More Posts by brs608
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:30 AM
Bogota Colombia
Joined Oct 2008
127 Posts
Setting up all the electronics on my Blaster 3. It seems pretty delicate, time will tell.

Gustavo
haggy38 is offline Find More Posts by haggy38
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:58 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,472 Posts
After reading this thread at work yesterday I was waiting for an afternoon to myself... Me, my new Neos and my dog chasing.

good times, and got away a few times
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:31 AM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,080 Posts
Just checked the delam repair, all is well!
Later I have to a make a 5v regulator for my Gambler, stupid connectors, they can be put on either way.
dephela is online now Find More Posts by dephela
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:52 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,908 Posts
I got to load 12g of lead into the nose of my new TS3
davidjensen is online now Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:28 PM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Oct 2009
145 Posts
I flew my Twister 3 at a local field for about 1hour. Quite windy (7-9 m/s) and turbulent, I liked it that way because I wanted to try out how the Twister handles wind.

I put a little xtra lead to move the c of g from 87 mm to 83 mm (Hoekstra's trimming tip). Little ballast in, total flying weight about 295-300 grams. Flew nice, plane penetrating well. Had lots of very short flights but also a few good ones, far away and high. Happy!

Tommy
Tommy Wee is offline Find More Posts by Tommy Wee
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:34 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,080 Posts
Regulator finished, Gambler ready to go.
Wind n rain, no flying.
dephela is online now Find More Posts by dephela
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:37 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Glendale, AZ
Joined Jun 2008
2,322 Posts
received my tx back, new antenna, no charge! Going to fly after work today
bbbp is online now Find More Posts by bbbp
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:54 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
4,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro View Post
After reading this thread at work yesterday I was waiting for an afternoon to myself... Me, my new Neos and my dog chasing.

good times, and got away a few times
My dog HATES all my RC stuff except the DLG. She loves to set and watch. She would help launch if I let her! Go figure?

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:43 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
Another hot hazy day, amazingly at this time of year in Woodinville Wa.

Flew for about 3 hours. First two hours puffed my 1s out of laziness to walk back to the truck and swap it out.

Also discovered a disadvantage to going rudderless which I had not thought of before. I lost aileron control for one flight after a mid power launch. Flew it in with no problems on rudder and elevator. Couldn't have done that without my rudder!! I wiggled the connections and what not which didn't show any reasons why I lost complete control of the wing; really don't know why it happened. The flaps functioned perfectly the rest of that charge and the next one.

Had some nice flights around 10 minutes or so never above 200'. There was gentle lift all over the place with few or no thermals that really would take it way up. That's all right: I'm getting lots of practice with the glider in close so I can see it.

Messed with the launch preset a bit to get angled up more quickly and also fine tuning the rudder preset. Strangely, after some practice, it seemed that my up elevator throw was hardly anything. Pulling full stick did may be a third of what it should have. I had noticed the small throw before, but it wasn't this bad. I went through my settings very thoroughly and can't manage to get any more throw. The only thing to do now is to mechanically change it so I don't need 70 subtrim to keep it trimmed. I just don't know why it has gotten worse on its own. Anyway, that kind of put the damper on the rest of that charge so I left before reaching half charge.

Another thing I tried for the first time was tip-catch-launch's. They are fun! and I got better at them after only a few minutes of repetitions. Still a bit awkward and not consistent, but I think I'll get sub second smooth turn arounds in no time. The fact that it was so calm most of the time made it easier I'm sure. I have that video of Jun etched in my brain, and I won't stop practicing for effortless form until I got it. The way I go about things like that is understand what good form is, practice with low power, constantly letting go of my body to stay relaxed but continue to do the correct motions. Eventually, they are learned with near minimum muscle engagement and hopefully with NO muscle groups opposing each other. One of the main problems I think about coordination for power is that humans tend to fight themselves (i.e. biceps and triceps engaged at the same time) so that our body feels resistance. The more resistance one feels, the more work we think we are doing. True, except that work is not going into the glider's velocity, but into the opposing muscle groups. yada yada...

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Last edited by JoeCube; Sep 18, 2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:44 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,218 Posts
I wish I could get quick turnarounds down that easily. I'm embarrassed to admit how much I've practiced and I still can't do it at all. I've had maybe 3 successful ones in all of my practice sessions
bwill6 is offline Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:46 PM
Turn down for what?
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
14,912 Posts
Flew in the wind for the first time in months today.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke