HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:23 PM
Lookout For The!Radio Silence.
United States, CO, Aurora
Joined Nov 2007
5,858 Posts
Discussion
Banana said $379 F-22 Only good for 12 flights?

UPDATE: May 14, 2013
Banana Hobby has replaced the LX model F-22 with a new one.
Thank you Nancy for your help.

__________________________________________________ _________________
When I was exchanging emails with Banana about my defective elevator axle in flight
failure and total crash, they told me since I flew it twelve times before the failure, the
flights weakened the elevator axle. So I asked them, I paid close to $400 for this
model, that's $33 per flight. So this model is only good for 12 flights? They said yes.

I think this is absurd.
I only asked for a airframe replacement, since I already have all the electronics.
They said no.
I told them many people are watching how they handle this.
After two weeks of going back and forth, I told them I would give them one last
chance to make it right. Soon, I will let you all know what happens.
wingspan100 is offline Find More Posts by wingspan100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by wingspan100; May 14, 2013 at 12:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Jun 2012
191 Posts
Hi wingspan100! Having consulted with the lead technician that reviewed the details of your case, I would like to reassure you that this particular F-22 model certainly does have the potential to exceed well beyond 12 successful flights. However, throughout each flight with these extremely powerful and maneuverable EDF jets, the amount of gravitation forces endured would surely yield variable and/or confounding amounts of wear and tear. Therefore, the careful inspection of crucial stress points and implementation of preventative measures through servicing are to be performed to better ensure the success of any future flights. I do apologize for your tragic loss and would like to thank you for your understanding. -Seba
Sebastian_BHcsr is offline Find More Posts by Sebastian_BHcsr
Old Sep 21, 2012, 08:15 PM
Joined Nov 2007
5,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian_BHcsr View Post
Hi wingspan100! Having consulted with the lead technician that reviewed the details of your case, I would like to reassure you that this particular F-22 model certainly does have the potential to exceed well beyond 12 successful flights. However, throughout each flight with these extremely powerful and maneuverable EDF jets, the amount of gravitation forces endured would surely yield variable and/or confounding amounts of wear and tear. Therefore, the careful inspection of crucial stress points and implementation of preventative measures through servicing are to be performed to better ensure the success of any future flights. I do apologize for your tragic loss and would like to thank you for your understanding. -Seba
Understand what?
That you just said this $379 model was only good for 12 flights?
Did you just describe an artful way of saying it was my fault?
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I really like this video:
Old Sep 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
Joined Nov 2007
5,858 Posts
I'm still waiting...
Order bh18-230593
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:03 PM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingspan100 View Post
Understand what?
That you just said this $379 model was only good for 12 flights?
Did you just describe an artful way of saying it was my fault?
Many of these airplanes are made by manufacturers that are more concerned with the looks of the aircraft and less with airworthiness, they should come with a display stand. If one accepts this as a fact then the right purchasing decisions can be made. This is not to say that one should not buy these airplanes but in my experience very few of the aircraft that I have bought have passed my airworthiness inspection out of the box. From taking delivery to first maiden is usually a 3 week process where every inch of the aircraft is inspected and judged for its ability to withstand the flight stresses of its intended flight envelope. Anything that I deem under designed is modified. Yea I am obsessive but it has paid off in reliability.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:48 AM
Joined Nov 2007
5,858 Posts
The fact remains, I paid $33 a flight and now I have nothing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:33 PM
United States, PA, Ellwood City
Joined Aug 2011
134 Posts
Sorry for your experience. I'm certainly glad I finally scrolled down to see what was going on in these forums. I'm equally glad I found this thread as it will serve as a good reason never to order from this outfit.

It's hard enough being new in a hobby like this, don't need some crooked vendor selling me junk.

Again, thanks for the thread and sorry about your loss here.
AtGame7 is offline Find More Posts by AtGame7
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Nov 2007
5,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtGame7 View Post
Sorry for your experience. I'm certainly glad I finally scrolled down to see what was going on in these forums. I'm equally glad I found this thread as it will serve as a good reason never to order from this outfit.

It's hard enough being new in a hobby like this, don't need some crooked vendor selling me junk.

Again, thanks for the thread and sorry about your loss here.
Thanks Pal for your support!
I think the smart thing to do is send out a replacement.
It's cheaper to take care of your customer than to have many future readers reading this and not spending money on you.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1 Posts
In all honestly, I have ordered from Banana Hobby before and have been a satisfied customer. All in all, when you are getting into a hobby like this, you really have to be on top of all your components. But that's just my 2 cents. I'm sure different people have different expectations when they are putting in money into a hobby they love so much. Either way, it's always a learning experience to be a better hobbyist.

Cheers,

Laza, Frequent Flyer Los Angeles.
laza_loo is offline Find More Posts by laza_loo
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:16 PM
Joined Nov 2007
5,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laza_loo View Post
In all honestly, I have ordered from Banana Hobby before and have been a satisfied customer. All in all, when you are getting into a hobby like this, you really have to be on top of all your components. But that's just my 2 cents. I'm sure different people have different expectations when they are putting in money into a hobby they love so much. Either way, it's always a learning experience to be a better hobbyist.

Cheers,

Laza, Frequent Flyer Los Angeles.
We are talking plastic elevator axles. This is clearly a design flaw.
FlyFly uses metal for their full flying stabs.
I would not expect my elevators to come flying off in flight would you?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:45 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,355 Posts
You get what you pay for, Do your homework
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:58 AM
Joined Nov 2007
5,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
You get what you pay for, Do your homework
Would you have asked them if the LX model F-22 had plastic elevator axles before your purchase? Really?
What the customer see is Pete's videos showing the latest, coolest model anyone can buy.
He will never mention any potential design flaw, and I would not expect him to.
His job is to sell models.
Customers buy models.
This customer bought a model with a design flaw.
RC Lander has been known to replace defective models.
FLYFLY has been known to replace defective models.
They know the value of a satisfied customer.
All I'm getting from Banana are reasons why it is my fault.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by wingspan100; Sep 26, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:31 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Dec 2012
17 Posts
I have recently built the same model from kit, I'd heard enough about the "quality" of their electronic components to trust them.

I agree completely with BH that proper inspection of certain critical parts IS required to keep a high performance EDF flying; HOWEVER, why do the instructions not give a listing of what these parts are that need to be inspected, and what to inspect for. For that matter, why do the "instructions" not have ANY words in them at all, just a few super tiny pictures with no explanations and lots of unaddressed technical issues.

My kit came missing a part, when I e-mailed them, they straight up LIED and said there was no such part and to do without. So you are not the first they have lied to and tried to shift the blame to. They do always SOUND so concerned on this forum, too bad it is just public lip service.

I have over $1,000 into my Super F-22 kit; because I put in all top of the line electronics; however, I honestly don't expect this kit to last long. I just trust that Styrofoam the plane is made of will protect the quality electronics so they will survive to go into my next EDF, which will not be from BH.

P.S. I think what twiztidbowler meant is that BH is not a reputable company, there is more then enough evidence of that on this, and other forums. They sell flawed, cheap, chinese styrofoam and do not stand behind it at all.
TheMissingCard is offline Find More Posts by TheMissingCard
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:48 PM
Joined Nov 2007
5,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMissingCard View Post
I have recently built the same model from kit, I'd heard enough about the "quality" of their electronic components to trust them.
My advice to you is to remove the Elevator axles and drill a hole down the center.
insert and epoxy some piano wire down the middle.
The stock plastic alone is not strong enough.
I'd hate to hear of your $1000 investment go down like a lawn dart like mine did.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:02 AM
MichiganRCflyer
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Nov 2012
128 Posts
Dude.... That's pretty lame of BH to blame you for not inspecting your jet. No surprise they won't send you a new frame though... I too was seduced by the "cool factor" of your plane and almost pulled the trigger on buying one. $379 is a lot of money so I stopped myself and researched this model on here. After reading a total of 10 posts in 2 threads, I made the easy decision not to buy it. Common complaints about its horrible quality, junk electrical systems, retracts, durability, etc. seemed to be the norm.

You basically pay $379 and get a styrofoam plane that needs all new everything for it to be reliable. The reality is, all of these Chinese planes are garbage. Although many people have great experiences initially, bank on something going wrong sooner than later. I read a thread on here where this poor German guy literally spent WEEKS meticulously building his LX F-22, complete with custom lights, spring loaded intake slits, beautiful touch up paint after all his surgery, expensive retracts, you name it, he had it. So on his maiden flight with a camera mounted on it, he took off, made a few turns and tragedy struck. The wing broke off (despite his added CF rods) near the front fuse and down went the plane, a complete loss... All caught on camera.

My advice would be to stick with the simple, cheap, and more reliable 50mm backpack jets. Simple electronics, pretty reliable, fast as hell and easy to upgrade. Sure, they don't have all the gizmos that suck you into spending $300+ but when the inevitable crash happens its an easier pill to swallow.

The bottom line is, BH is simply a middle man. They know these planes are likely to blow up and are poorly made. But, they make lots of money on people like us. If the replaced your plane, they would have to replace everyone's plane when sh*t happens. Sucks, but you live and you learn.
bunkx9 is offline Find More Posts by bunkx9