HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Rcbif, have you flown that 40" yet?

What FPV gear are you using? I'll be buying some soon and could use a recommendation.
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:57 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson View Post
Rcbif, have you flown that 40" yet?

What FPV gear are you using? I'll be buying some soon and could use a recommendation.
I have not. I work second shift, and since my main field is a schoolyard, it's basically off limits during my free time. Hopefully this weekend.

I'm using a 1.3 system from readymaderc with patch antenna. This will only work with 72mhz, wont work with 2.4 very good. Viewing camera will be the sony 600tvl camera from securitycamera2000, and I will be recording with gopro, and flying with fatshark basic video goggles.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
United Kingdom, Wales
Joined Jul 2009
315 Posts
Hi Brandonherring, great, great delta. I particularly like the orange and black scheme with 3 vert. stabs. I would like to add the 2 smaller ones (stabs) to my version only for show. Does this mean they have to be smaller, as in the picture ? Cheers
Fly Boy3 is offline Find More Posts by Fly Boy3
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Boy3 View Post
Hi Brandonherring, great, great delta. I particularly like the orange and black scheme with 3 vert. stabs. I would like to add the 2 smaller ones (stabs) to my version only for show. Does this mean they have to be smaller, as in the picture ? Cheers
I doubt it makes any difference in flight performance. I added mine for looks. One of the larger ones I built had 3 as well and flies the same as the single.

Also, I love what everyone is doing with this. Especially love the hand drawn hawk art. That is sick and a great idea.

My latest one has a rudder and that is a worthy addition IMO. I might try moving it out of the prop wash and using two vertical stabs/ rudder setup... Under throttle at speed it performs crazy wild stunts and also flat spins now. LOL
Also a friend added a fat airfoil (pretty much same as the armin wing) to his and improved the glide further!

New video. Please excuse the audio... I added some default soundtrack on the little youtube editor, but it will take some time to update evidently.
On Board RC Delta Wing (2 min 36 sec)
brandonherring is offline Find More Posts by brandonherring
Last edited by brandonherring; Oct 18, 2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 12:10 AM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Nice video Brandon! I forgot I made one too. I love this DELTA! by far my favorite build ever! I haven't folded the hawk drawn one yet. I don't want to cut a slot in it! I'll do some experimenting with a 50mm EDF I have for one of my 'winter builds'. How do you like the Rudder? I'll have to add one to my next one. I'm new to the video thing too. I have a small Kodak mini I strapped on. I might have to try it out pointing aft. Now I just need the rains to stop! Oh I dug my small delta in hard the other day! Holy crap! I have the motor esc and battery all strapped on an aluminum strip which was velcroed on. the hot glue doesnt hold well to aluminum so I zip tied it on. those two zip ties broke on impact and that was the only damage! I'm so impressed with this simple but wildly capable design. This is by far my go to flyer right meow!
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
421 Posts
Mine was underpowered and crashed. So I am changing my fuse and putting in a 3 cell with 2826/10 with 8 inch prop. Didn't hurt the wing a bit just my extended nose. I have the motor mounted on a simpson angle tie and I use mounting tape. That stuff is awesome for holding down the motor mount.
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
Mine was underpowered and crashed. So I am changing my fuse and putting in a 3 cell with 2826/10 with 8 inch prop. Didn't hurt the wing a bit just my extended nose. I have the motor mounted on a simpson angle tie and I use mounting tape. That stuff is awesome for holding down the motor mount.
Sorry to hear about the crash, low and slow. Is that 2826 the 950kv one? I run mine on a 6x4 prop at 2200kv for 3s. At 50% throttle she still has decent power, so I equate that to about 1100kv (I'm still learning, so my thought process may be completely wrong...feel free to correct me if so). You're also running a 2 inch larger prop than I, so I imagine you will do just fine on that setup. Post your results!
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:41 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
I run a Turnigy 2826 1450kv on 3s. I have both 7x5 and just ran two packs with a 7x6. It flies at half and has decent vertical. It's not a rocket, but flies great. I'll be trying a 2200 with same props eventually.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 06:43 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
I'm planning on making one small enough for our indoor meetups soon. I flew one last year at our indoor meets. Everyone else had the parkzone micro stuff. This delta was the fastest and LOUDEST plane. It was definitely cool flying it inside.

Can anyone recommend me a nice power system for maybe a 16-18" wing span? The orange one is what I flew last year and it ran a small 3000kv on 2s with a GWS 4025 prop. It had no vertical and required a decent amount of throttle to stay airborn. I'd like some better performance and still be able to slow down nice. (ie keep weight down)
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
421 Posts
Swammy the motor is the 1400kv one.I might change my mind and run a 7x4 at first.I have a bunch of cdrom motors but also have this one and a 2212-6 but I don't have bullets soldered on it yet, it is the 2200kv hot rod motor. I am wanting more thrust and less speed so I'm hoping to learn to fly this thing before I use it. I have a bunch of 6,7,and 8 inch props so I might build another one with that motor.

Brandon my 2 cell 3000kv motor was full throttle all the way and wouldn't really fly this thing. I wonder if you could use a 1700kv blue wonder on your smaller wing with a larger prop? 7 or 8x4 with a 2 cell? Or possibly 6x4 on a 3 cell? I know a lot of people run 3 cell batts on these motors but I never have.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:20 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonherring View Post
I run a Turnigy 2826 1450kv on 3s. I have both 7x5 and just ran two packs with a 7x6. It flies at half and has decent vertical. It's not a rocket, but flies great. I'll be trying a 2200 with same props eventually.
That is a higher KV motor. I would try a smaller prop like a 7x5 or 6x4. I have This Suppo Motor To make sure mine hauls ass with a 6x4. my smaller one is running a 7x5 with a 1500kv HK motor as you can see from the specs of thrust produced..it works best with the 7x5 prop. Too big a prop and the motor strains to turn it. tooo small and the motor doesnt spin fast enought to produce enough thrust. What is your All up weight (AUW)? how did it crash? did it just nose dive? spin over on top or sputter like it was too heavy?

Marc
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:22 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
see above post
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:27 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/ the cg should be at 8 in. from the nose as the geneator shows with the original build specs
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
421 Posts
I don't know it just didn't really have the torque for climbing with the 3000kv motor on 2 cell. I was using a 6x4 prop it flew ok it just didn't have enough grunt didn't seem like to me. Full throttle all the time and lackluster performance. I had the cg at8 1/4 seemed ok. The plane weighed 12 3/4 auw. It had a nanotech 2 cell 800 battery. It almost seemed overpropped with the 6x4
Old Oct 20, 2012, 08:59 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know it just didn't really have the torque for climbing with the 3000kv motor on 2 cell. I was using a 6x4 prop it flew ok it just didn't have enough grunt didn't seem like to me. Full throttle all the time and lackluster performance. I had the cg at8 1/4 seemed ok. The plane weighed 12 3/4 auw. It had a nanotech 2 cell 800 battery. It almost seemed overpropped with the 6x4
yeah I would try a 3s something with the same prop. whats your motor specs?