HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:33 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
I tried to airbrush some foamboard, water base acrylic paint of course. you wouldn't believe the warp that appeared as it dried! Perfectly flat piece of board turned into a nice C shape!

Packing tape will keep it dry over wet grass, but that wouldn't work if it landed in the lake!

Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:03 AM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson View Post
... But do NOT let the paper ever get wet.

I learned a lesson today: don't get cocky and start believing you're a master of flight, especially near water. It doesn't matter how great things were the day before... All it takes is one mistake and then you're thigh deep in the lake, retrieving your little plane made of foam and paper.
man that water is magnetic huh!? sorry for your loss
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:22 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
man that water is magnetic huh!? sorry for your loss
Now that I've had a chance to go over everything, I believe it isn't a total loss... And luckily, I was at least cautious enough to run a test flight before mounting the camera. All told, I think I'll lose the ESC and possibly the receiver. The plane itself is a writeoff, but that's okay... I've already started building the next one.

Edit: Not sure if this was the best idea, but I wanted to give it a try... Any bets as to how it will fly? It's 2 sheets of readiboard: 60" wingpsan, 20" root chord. I need to trim the trailing edge... Somehow the two sheets weren't exactly the same size.
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ibillwilson; Oct 02, 2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Additional info and picture of new version
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:46 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Did you run a spar? Anything that big I would think needs something? Looks fun! What will you use for a power plant?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:18 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Now that I've had a chance to go over everything, I believe it isn't a total loss... And luckily, I was at least cautious enough to run a test flight before mounting the camera. All told, I think I'll lose the ESC and possibly the receiver. The plane itself is a writeoff, but that's okay... I've already started building the next one.

Edit: Not sure if this was the best idea, but I wanted to give it a try... Any bets as to how it will fly? It's 2 sheets of readiboard: 60" wingpsan, 20" root chord. I need to trim the trailing edge... Somehow the two sheets weren't exactly the same size.
Nice. Looking forward to your results.

I started on my 30x43" last night. It's basically 2 boards glued together on the longer side (then taped on both sides over joint) the following the basic design on page 1. But next, I make another sheet of 2 glued together, and laminate it to the bottom of the first and then fold over the corners. So it's now 4 layers thick in the front, and 2 in the back. It also has a slight stepped airfoil due to the overlap. It seems just as stiff as the 30" version. I'm not sure if I even need any spars. I'll post a pic later maybe.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:42 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
I tried to airbrush some foamboard, water base acrylic paint of course. you wouldn't believe the warp that appeared as it dried! Perfectly flat piece of board turned into a nice C shape!

Packing tape will keep it dry over wet grass, but that wouldn't work if it landed in the lake!

I've never had that happen!? Did you have paper on or off? I also pin mine to a 2" piece of blue foam when painting
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:45 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
I haven't added spars to the 60" wing yet. I'm picking up some carbon fiber on the way home from work today. I'll probably bury two spars. Strangely enough, even with that hot-glued seam down the middle and with no spars yet, this plane is already stiffer than the 40" version that I built. Leaving the paper on makes a big difference!

As far as powerplant goes, I'm going to try using the same parts that I had on the one that went for a swim... so it's a Turnigy SK3 2826-1130 motor, 18 A ESC, and 3S / 2250 mAh / 40C LiPo, and the Bluebird 9x6. That should give me something like 25 oz of thrust, vs an expected AUW of 32 to 36 oz.

Oh yeah, after everything dried out, all the components worked. I expected to lose the ESC and possibly the receiver, but I didn't lose a thing. I'm so happy!

(I think we may all be having a little too much fun with this design.)
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:45 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
I haven't added spars to the 60" wing yet. I'm picking up some carbon fiber on the way home from work today. I'll probably bury two spars. Strangely enough, even with that hot-glued seam down the middle and with no spars yet, this plane is already stiffer than the 40" version that I built. Leaving the paper on makes a big difference!

As far as powerplant goes, I'm going to try using the same parts that I had on the one that went for a swim... so it's a Turnigy SK3 2826-1130 motor, 18 A ESC, and 3S / 2250 mAh / 40C LiPo, and the Bluebird 9x6. That should give me something like 25 oz of thrust, vs an expected AUW of 32 to 36 oz.

Oh yeah, after everything dried out, all the components worked. I expected to lose the ESC and possibly the receiver, but I didn't lose a thing. I'm so happy!

(I think we may all be having a little too much fun with this design.)
Nice job On the Electronics! Pics when yOure done!
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:58 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
CG calcLink for future reference

Have a great day fellas!

MArc
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:08 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Trying to decide a motor for my 40" delta

for modest power
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-14%29/Detail

or for a near 2:1 thrust to weight ratio
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-16%29/Detail

No sure. Might go with the first one. Thinking it will give me longer flight times.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:33 AM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
I started building this one last night. It's a very easy build, but I am taking my time to ensure everything is as perfect as I can make it. After folding over the airfoil, I noticed that the middle is exactly the right size for a 2" fuselage tube from Experimental Airlines. I'm going to try using a turnigy 2200kv motor from HK with a 6x5.5 on 2s for starters. If it doesn't have enough power, I may move up to a 7" prop (but I doubt that will be an issue with this motor). I hear deltas are twitchy, so I'm a bit worried....but it eases my mind that this is such a simple build...and I could build one again.

How are you people avoiding eating dirt with your props on landing? This is the one thing that I haven't figured out yet.....might put skids / skis on the bottom (or small wheels).

OP: You have gotten very good at the aesthetics on your planes. I can see huge progress from your first build to your latest. Great job!!
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:09 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Hey Swammy, don't worry about this plane being twitchy. It definitely is not, as long as you have enough vertical stabilizer. I think more than one person has said that it rides on rails, and I would tend to agree.

As for the prop situation... just make sure your ESC's motor brake is disabled, so the prop can rotate out of the way when the plane hits the ground. Using a prop saver would probably be a good idea too. You can also mount the motor a couple inches above the wing to minimize the amount of prop that is exposed below. Finally, I would recommend that you don't use a GWS prop for this plane, even if you do all the things I've just mentioned... I bent or broke several. While I typically prefer GWS props, I have been much happier with APC and BlueBird on this plane. I haven't had a prop get damaged since I made the switch.

Have fun with it! It's a super design... so simple yet so much fun.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:16 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
I started building this one last night. It's a very easy build, but I am taking my time to ensure everything is as perfect as I can make it. After folding over the airfoil, I noticed that the middle is exactly the right size for a 2" fuselage tube from Experimental Airlines. I'm going to try using a turnigy 2200kv motor from HK with a 6x5.5 on 2s for starters. If it doesn't have enough power, I may move up to a 7" prop (but I doubt that will be an issue with this motor). I hear deltas are twitchy, so I'm a bit worried....but it eases my mind that this is such a simple build...and I could build one again.

How are you people avoiding eating dirt with your props on landing? This is the one thing that I haven't figured out yet.....might put skids / skis on the bottom (or small wheels).
Run a 7" on 2s and a 6x4 on 3s and landing on grass is always best for a belly lander. Skids would be handy for hard surface landing and then I would suggest a prop saver over collet. IMO

Marc
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:24 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Ahh, yes... I should have said that thus far, all my landings have been on grass or sand... or water.

I'm still mad at myself for that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:58 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Lol @ water.....sorry to read of ur loss.

Thanks for the tips, guys.
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979