Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:38 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
Yes I love how this thing flies! so easy to build too! I spent more time decorating it than anything! Could you list your power setup and AUW please? Thanks!

Marc
I used
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...70-Zoom/Detail
with the acp 6x4.

Like I said, I put 1.5oz lead in the nose.

With a 1300mah battery, my AUW is 19oz
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:41 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
I'm building one of these can anyone tell me a good starting point for elevon travel and rates?
I want it to be a bit slower and floatier because I am a bad flyer but I am using lighter gear so with a 24 gram 3000kv and a 2 cell 800 battery I find I needed to lengthen the nose to balance it rather than add weight I think it is going to work good this way, we'll see.

2 1/2 inch elevons seems like a lot though
Low and Slow is offline Find More Posts by Low and Slow
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:51 PM
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
So far I am at 13 ounces auw
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:54 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
I used
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...70-Zoom/Detail
with the acp 6x4.

Like I said, I put 1.5oz lead in the nose.

With a 1300mah battery, my AUW is 19oz
Thanks Bif! I cooked the 3800kv I had today so I ordered This Motor from AltitudeHobbies (a fellow RCG member) It should be here this week with some 6x4 APC props. this should solve all my heat problems.
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:08 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow View Post
I'm building one of these can anyone tell me a good starting point for elevon travel and rates?
I want it to be a bit slower and floatier because I am a bad flyer but I am using lighter gear so with a 24 gram 3000kv and a 2 cell 800 battery I find I needed to lengthen the nose to balance it rather than add weight I think it is going to work good this way, we'll see.

2 1/2 inch elevons seems like a lot though
I didnt do anything but put a little expo onthe ailerons. this thing flys great fast and is fully manageable slower. what size prop are you gonna run?
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:15 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Wow, this plane just gets better and better! It flies nearly as well carrying my GoPro as it does without, even with the change in CG (GoPro is right at the nose, weighs 4 oz). The only adjustment I make when I mount the GoPro is give a couple clicks of up-trim to the elevons.

As-designed, the plane flies rather smoothly. I've added gyros to enhance that, and to provide extra control when flying in wind. The control is so good that I don't mind flying just a few feet off the deck, even in wind.

Here's my latest in-flight video. The only change I've made to the plane is to go from a 9x4.7 SlowFly prop to a 9x6 Electric. It made a big difference.

Flying Over Rouge Beach, Toronto (RC plane, flying wing, KFm2 airfoil, gyros) (4 min 46 sec)
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:55 AM
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
I didnt do anything but put a little expo onthe ailerons. this thing flys great fast and is fully manageable slower. what size prop are you gonna run?
I'm going with a 6x4. I put a double tail on the back its starting to look more like a mirage fighter
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:54 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,018 Posts
I'm definately not a power setup guy myself and if anyone needs a watt meter its me! watch your temps!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:54 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,018 Posts
Delete
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:56 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,018 Posts
[
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson View Post
Wow, this plane just gets better and better! It flies nearly as well carrying my GoPro as it does without, even with the change in CG (GoPro is right at the nose, weighs 4 oz). The only adjustment I make when I mount the GoPro is give a couple clicks of up-trim to the elevons.

As-designed, the plane flies rather smoothly. I've added gyros to enhance that, and to provide extra control when flying in wind. The control is so good that I don't mind flying just a few feet off the deck, even in wind.

Here's my latest in-flight video. The only change I've made to the plane is to go from a 9x4.7 SlowFly prop to a 9x6 Electric. It made a big difference.

http://youtu.be/TIxGNGtbO84
thanks for the Videos!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:36 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
What issue did you have with your 40 in build. I'm thinkingof building a big one out of multiple layers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson View Post

http://youtu.be/TIxGNGtbO84
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:19 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
What issue did you have with your 40 in build. I'm thinkingof building a big one out of multiple layers.
The main issue I had was that the plane just wasn't rigid enough. That's all completely my fault, but it arose for a couple of reasons. First, the 40"x32" Elmer's craftboard I used had *extremely* heavy paper on it... so I removed it all. Probably a bad move, but honestly, the paper alone weighed like 8 oz. Second, I didn't go buy proper material to reinforce the now floppy foamboard, so I just used a couple 1/8" wood dowels I had laying around the house... dowels that weren't anywhere near stiff enough. Third, I selected the wrong prop... this was a biggie. The 9x3.8 SlowFly I chose initially seemed like it would be perfect, but I could never get the plane to do anything but plow into the ground... no matter how much up elevator I gave it. I made so many adjustments that had no effect... and then the plane was just too mangled to work with anymore.

I salvaged what I could from that plane and made a new 30" span version using dollar store foamboard. I followed brandon's plans more closely. I even used the same motor and prop. It flew, but barely!

That's when I decided to try a different prop. I went from a 9x3.8" Slow Fly to a 9.47" Slow Fly... and it made a huge difference. The first prop, with my 1130 Kv motor, must have been right on the hairy edge of constant prop-stall. With the new prop, the plane actually flew pretty well.

My latest change was to go from that 9x4.7 SlowFly to a 9x6 Thin Electric... which really did the trick! Climb rate, maintaining speed and elevation through turns, and top speed were all improved dramatically.

Now that I look back on the whole experience, I probably could have made the 40" version work, had I just tried a different prop. Oh well, at least I know now what I need to do on the next one.

Good luck with it... I think if you keep the airframe stiff and give it enough speed, it will probably fly great. I plan to build another one myself... properly this time.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:23 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
A lot of people just don't appreciate how much strength the paper adds, its just like plywood, the multi layers attached to each other add stiffness out of proportion to their weight.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
I love deltas for their simplicity and performance, the bigger I build them the better they fly, J.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:51 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
A lot of people just don't appreciate how much strength the paper adds, its just like plywood, the multi layers attached to each other add stiffness out of proportion to their weight.
... But do NOT let the paper ever get wet.

I learned a lesson today: don't get cocky and start believing you're a master of flight, especially near water. It doesn't matter how great things were the day before... All it takes is one mistake and then you're thigh deep in the lake, retrieving your little plane made of foam and paper.
RCG Plus Member