HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:06 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,029 Posts
what do you use to attach the stabilizer? Hot glue on tape= not so good. I got a 5x5 prop im gonna try after I put a piece of aluminum in the nose where the board folded up. that should make it a little more sturdy. re maiden tomorrow....
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:15 PM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
what do you use to attach the stabilizer? Hot glue on tape= not so good. I got a 5x5 prop im gonna try after I put a piece of aluminum in the nose where the board folded up. that should make it a little more sturdy. re maiden tomorrow....
I use hot glue. It is incredibly strong, it rips the tape off on mine. I think it is high temp? It's a cheap wal mart special. LOL I add small extra pieces and try to make them contrast for extra footing. See the white areas near the stab.
brandonherring is offline Find More Posts by brandonherring
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:42 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonherring View Post
I use hot glue. It is incredibly strong, it rips the tape off on mine. I think it is high temp? It's a cheap wal mart special. LOL I add small extra pieces and try to make them contrast for extra footing. See the white areas near the stab.
My airframe is mostly done. To attach the vertical stabilizer, I cut a slot all the way thru, just big enough for the vert stab to fit into. Then backed up the bottom with tape, covered the bottom edges of the vert stab in hot glue, and pressed it into the slot. Then I did a hot glue fillet around the outside. Seems rock solid.

Cant wait to fly this thing!
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Sep 25, 2012, 07:42 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,029 Posts
Brandon what power setup are you using on this last one?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:34 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,022 Posts
The only way I'm able to balance this thing is to stick my 3cell 2200 up front! Is this ok?

Wondering why you guys are able to use smaller lighter batteries. My construction isnt majorly different or anything........

edit- nevermind, saw goodhumormarc used a 2200. I have a feeling this is gonna be a wild ride for me.........
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:37 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,029 Posts
I added a little more weight up front with glue, foam and a few bamboo skewers since my last crash. I taco d the last pack so this time I added some foam to ease the next nose in. Use your oldest battery first to test it out! Lol

edit: I tried a 5x5 and a 6.5x6.5. Man everything came back hot after 1:30! I'm gonna have to swap to a different motor. I have a 450 class heli motor I'll try after dinner...
Last edited by goodhumormarc; Sep 25, 2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: update
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:21 AM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
I'm running a 2822 1400kv turnigy motor and 3s 1800 batts with a 7x5 prop. It's not super fast or anything, just fun all around. I'll probably try a 2200kv at some point, but as it is it will cover a large field easily.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:23 AM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
The only way I'm able to balance this thing is to stick my 3cell 2200 up front! Is this ok?

Wondering why you guys are able to use smaller lighter batteries. My construction isnt majorly different or anything........

edit- nevermind, saw goodhumormarc used a 2200. I have a feeling this is gonna be a wild ride for me.........
Yes. I tried to balance it with a 1000 3s and it was not going to happen.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:03 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Well, my big 40" delta had problems. Not happy about that... but luckily, Brandon's design is incredibly easy to build, so I was able to put together a 30" version rather quickly. Even better, it flew well enough to mount the GoPro... here's some footage from this evening's maiden flight.

Aerial Video from Simple Medium Delta Wing (RC plane, KFm2 airfoil) (3 min 53 sec)

Details for this plane:
constructed from Readiboard (dollar store foam board)
Airfoil: folded KFm2 (50% at centerline, reducing to 0 at tip of delta)
Control scheme: elevons
overall dimensions: 30" x 20"
all-up weight: 19 oz (23 with GoPro)
motor: Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 2826-1130
prop: BlueBird 9x4.7 Slow Fly
ESC: Tower Pro Mag8 18A
battery: Align "High-Power" (3S, 11.1 V, 2250 mAh, 40C)
Receiver: Spektrum AR6210 6-channel (overkill, to be replaced with full-range 4-channel)
Servos (2): Emax ES08A
Gyros (2): Detrum GY48V
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:11 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,022 Posts
My delta is done except needing some velcro to hold the battery in. I added 1.5oz of lead weights to the nose to balance it for a 1300mah pack.
I cut apart a plastic container, and hot-glued it to the nose for re-enforcement. I may fit a pool noodle for the first flights.

I have my servos hot-glued in place. Should I run a ziptie around them or anything?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:27 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
I would say that the hot-glue is plenty strong to keep your servos attached to the foam. The only concern might be that the foam could flex when the servo pulls or pushes. I had this happening on my big 40" delta... just one of the many problems that plane had.

The 30" version I just made has the servos attached to pieces of plastic gift-card using 3M indoor/outdoor foam tape (the strong gray stuff with red liner), and then the gift-card material is hot-glued to the foam. That didn't totally eliminate flexing, but it reduced it significantly.
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:49 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,029 Posts
Quote:
My delta is done except needing some velcro to hold the battery in. I added 1.5oz of lead weights to the nose to balance it for a 1300mah pack.
I cut apart a plastic container, and hot-glued it to the nose for re-enforcement. I may fit a pool noodle for the first flights.

I have my servos hot-glued in place. Should I run a ziptie around them or anything?
a zip tie is cheap insurance! !
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:00 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,029 Posts
Okay I tried a lower KV 450 motor with a 7x5 apc prop and the 30A esc. The ESC still gets hot and the motor but it flies awesome! faast Smooth and quite responsive. very much one of my Favorites so far! Lots of Thanks to BrandonHerring I am going to build a few small ones for combat and training. this glides and Tracks perfectly. I am running mine with 2200mah 25c-50 3s and a 1500 3s as well. I knew better than to use those questionable servos! those go to to bin for parts! well now I need to go solider up a new 2100 30c for this baby!

Marc
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:30 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,022 Posts
Maidened mine today. After some up trim, and increasing my expro from 30 to 50, it flew great! So fast. I dont know how those jet guys do it!
I was really impressed by how straight it flew at high speed. There was some twist, but that could probably be fixed by a click or two of trim.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 06:25 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,029 Posts
Quote:
Maidened mine today. After some up trim, and increasing my expro from 30 to 50, it flew great! So fast. I dont know how those jet guys do it!
I was really impressed by how straight it flew at high speed. There was some twist, but that could probably be fixed by a click or two of trim.
Yes I love how this thing flies! so easy to build too! I spent more time decorating it than anything! Could you list your power setup and AUW please? Thanks!

Marc