SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:03 PM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
676 Posts
Where can I find "Experimental Airlines" and the "Scratch Build University"?
Thanks,
Mofroggy
edit: A friend of mine show me where it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonherring View Post
Leave the paper on. The tape sticks great to it, and it adds strength. I apply the tape exactly how Experimental Airlines does in his "Scratch Build university" thread. I've built his "Noob Toob" and been using his taping and folding techniques on my own designs for a bit now.

-Brandon
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Last edited by MOfroggy; Sep 11, 2012 at 04:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:30 PM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson View Post
I've decided to make a mini first, as a test case. I want to get things just right before I scale it up. I'll probably make more than one, actually... I want to try it as designed, then with spars included to increase the step height (a KFm2), and then flipped over (a KFm1).

Then I have to figure out the best way to mount my GoPro... I just got it as a birthday gift, and it hasn't flown yet. I'm hoping to remedy that situation this weekend.
Sweet, looking forward to seeing pics.
brandonherring is offline Find More Posts by brandonherring
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:28 AM
East Texas
Joined Nov 2008
676 Posts
The motor I mentioned is at Heads up RC.
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail
If that is too big would you please look at their motor selection on the left hand side of their page and tell me what motor would be appropriate? I am kind of new at this flying wing thing.
Thanks,
Joe
MOfroggy is offline Find More Posts by MOfroggy
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
If that is too big would you please look at their motor selection on the left hand side of their page and tell me what motor would be appropriate? I am kind of new at this flying wing thing.
Thanks,
Joe
Joe, Brandon can probably give you better advice regarding motors to use on his plane design. However, I can tell you that while I haven't used the 1500 Kv version of that motor, I am very familiar with the 1700 Kv version, and I bet performance would be pretty similar. I used mine with an APC 7x5 prop, the 3 mm prop adapter, and the aluminum stick mount with heatsink, and I've been very happy with it. I've run it on both 2 and 3-cell LiPo batteries and gotten great performance. I've had two of them on a flying boat and they worked great together. I have one of them on the high-wing aerobatic trainer I'm designing right now. I used the HURC 10A ESCs, but any ESC with 10A-12A capacity should work.

My opinion ... this motor ought to be just fine, but I defer to anything Brandon might suggest.
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ibillwilson; Sep 12, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Dec 2009
483 Posts
will the fins make a difference if we put it at edge instead of mid way or even single fin? great design. thanks for sharing.
bigtruck169 is offline Find More Posts by bigtruck169
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtruck169 View Post
will the fins make a difference if we put it at edge instead of mid way or even single fin? great design. thanks for sharing.
The three we fly all have completely different fins. It appears to not make much difference.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy View Post
Thanks,
Joe
I can't comment on those motors. I've heard great things about them and will most likely be buying some. I flew the 30" on a similar sized 1400kv motor running 3s and a 7x4 prop. It flew fine, but the motors I had on hand were terrible. I've had 3 "EMP" (cheap ebay) sticker motors to literally start rubbing inside against the magnets then seize after as little as a dozen flights... Again, never heard anything bad about the headsuprc motors...
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:38 AM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
New video

Here is a little better video of my buddy and I flying them earlier.
RC Delta Wing (3 min 49 sec)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:02 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
I finished a mini-delta... 20" x 16", 6 oz with battery. Maiden on Saturday or Sunday. Proportions are the same as the big one I intend to build (40" x 32").
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
I finished a mini-delta... 20" x 16", 6 oz with battery. Maiden on Saturday or Sunday. Proportions are the same as the big one I intend to build (40" x 32").
Cool. That's an interesting way to arrange the elevons. The rubber band is a good idea for the hatch too.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:47 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonherring View Post
Cool. That's an interesting way to arrange the elevons. The rubber band is a good idea for the hatch too.
Thanks. It's an inverted V-tail, used in some of the military UAVs. I had one on a twin-boom pusher and it worked well. They're very smooth and you get nice banking turns, much nicer than a conventional tail or regular V-tail.They're not particularly aerobatic, and I doubt I could roll the plane... but that's exactly what I want. Smooth and stable is what I'm after.

I haven't maidened yet, but if it works out, I'll start on the big one immediately. Assuming I can get that one trimmed for maximum stability, I'll go one step further and add gyros. Once that's all proven, I'll mount the GoPro.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ibillwilson; Sep 15, 2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:20 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Maiden flight video for my mini delta. It's intentionally underpowered for testing purposes... the full-size build will have more than enough power.

Details for this plane:
constructed from Readiboard (dollar store foam board)
overall dimensions: 20" x 16"
all-up weight: 6 oz
motor: Hextronik 18-11 2000 Kv brushless outrunner (10 g)
prop: APC 5.25x4.75 speed 400 electric
ESC: TURNIGY Plush 6A
battery: E-flite EFLB8002SJ30 (2S, 800 mAh, 30C)
Receiver: OrangeRx R610 DSM2
Servos: unknown specs, manufactured by Art-Tech (liberated from a Mini Wing Dragon 300)

Simple Mini Delta Wing (RC plane, KFm2 airfoil) (5 min 17 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:32 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
40" x 32" version getting close... All remaining parts will be installed tomorrow.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
40" x 32" version getting close... All remaining parts will be installed tomorrow.
Looks good. Yours has quite a sweep to the wings. I was also surprised that you were able to do some aerobatics with the inverted V tail it looked like.

I am building another one now. To solve flex in the elevons I added a small strip of 3/16" balsa along the trailing edge. Not that it was needed, but I also added a carbon spar right across the middle butted against the motor mount. For fun I am adding a clear canopy too. haha I'll get some pics soon.

This is definitely one of the best flyers I've had. It flies better than my new e-flight UMX Mig too. It slows down better, and flies faster. It tracks far far better too.

Oh, I have on order a cheap "dice" camera from hobbypartz to velcro on for some on board video. It was cheap so I hope it works "ok".

-Brandon
Old Sep 19, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
New Build

Here is the new build using a carbon spar at the mid point and some balsa to keep the elevons true...
-The decals on the table might go on this one too.