HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:44 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
Nice resolution, what cam are you using, and is it expensive? You look like you're very comfortable flying her, I've been getting there myself lately too. The past few days of flying have been spent trying to create a puff of dust as I drag the ailevons on the dirt of the baseball diamond as a sort of touch&go. I haven't been successful yet, but I'm getting closer and closer.
That footage is from the gopro 2. I'm using a sony 600tvl ccd camera for fpv viewing though. $50 for the sony fpv camera.

I like flying this plane low. It dosent pull up when you give it throttle like my supercub.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:33 AM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Yeah, mine flies straight in the direction I have her pointed...no change of direction with throttle changes. This is still my favorite plane I've built!
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:27 AM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
My buddy put a few lights he had left over on mine. Now I need more....In case you'all need some too from USA HobbyKing heres some buddy codes. Make sure your signed in first to get the price!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3881

You can read more HERE
goodhumormarc is offline Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Last edited by goodhumormarc; Nov 14, 2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: pics, link
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:18 PM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
My buddy put a few lights he had left over on mine. Now I need more....In case you'all need some too from USA HobbyKing heres some buddy codes. Make sure your signed in first to get the price!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3881

You can read more HERE
Cool! I have the same lights in my garage. How do you power them? I would like to not have to run a second batt for them. Can you show a picture of your setup with the wiring? Thanks!
brandonherring is offline Find More Posts by brandonherring
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:48 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonherring View Post
Cool! I have the same lights in my garage. How do you power them? I would like to not have to run a second batt for them. Can you show a picture of your setup with the wiring? Thanks!
I plug mine into the balance plug on my battery using a balance plug adapter. Power the red and black accordantly. I'm running a 3s in mine....well I was till I slammed her into the sand trap at sunriver here a little bit ago! My control rod broke at the servo connection causing loss of control and killing it! Time to put that hawk plane into effect! I'll post a pic later...I'm not at home and can't post pics from my phone
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:38 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Building my 4th one of these. I've crashed everything else I own, and this is the one bird I can always go back to. It's simple to build, and works very well without a lot of fussing around. Will post pics and flight vids when I get her finished up!
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Apr 01, 2013, 01:08 PM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonherring View Post
Hi everyone. After several scratch build designs I am confident enough to share this one. I have now build a couple of these in different sizes and they fly incredible. In fact, I didn't even have to use a single click of trim for the last one. I fly them in high (ish) winds too without any problems. They glide well and are razor precise. I went flying with my friend who just built his new Pop Wing the other day, and he immediately went home and built himself one. Now he says it is his best flying plane. These can be built in a couple of hours too.
Credit for the tape covering and some of the techniques working with dollar tree foam go to "Experimental Airlines" right here on the forums.

I'll show a 30 inch version here. You can make it any size. Just start off with a sheet of dollar tree foam. Cover what will be the bottom side with packing tape. You draw the plan on the board, then just score the paper where indicated in the pic below. Remove the paper and fold it over almost like making a paper airplane. Glue it down tight. You will end up trimming some of the folded over area to square up what will be the fuselage.

I make the fuselage 2 inches by 2 inches, but you can make it any shape and size. My friend made his look more like a drone. It worked great.

The vertical stabilizers can be any shape too. I have one with 3 stabilizers just for looks and another with one. My friend made two with a horizontal piece joining them. Again just build to style.

Neither of us used any spar, and it is stiff as a board. You could easily add a spar to make it stronger too. So far we have crashed these nose first, just pick up toss in the air no problem. Nearly indestructible. They fly on rails and happy fast or fairly slow.

I used a crappy EMP 28x22 1400kv with a 7x5 APC prop. It flew great, but I am not having luck with EMP motors. It failed after a dozen or so flights. I'll be switching it out for a 2200kv just for some extra thrill.

I know it is not much, but it flies so well I wanted to share. Please upload your ideas and any changes etc. If you guys make any improvements share away! I love experimenting and kicking around plans.
I apologize for the poor quality pics, I just used my phone.

The orange one in the last picture is a 16" mini. It flies awesome too. I even flew it at an indoor meetup.

VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlUq1XTx4W8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwDo4YimXvQ&feature=plcp

I really need to get a hat cam... There are some good passes on the 30" video, but unfortunately it does go out of frame a bit. You can also see my friend's Pop wing in that one...
-Brandon
Unfortunately late again to the party but could you confirm the orientation of sizes that you quote....is the 30 x 20 30 inches wide or 20 inches wide for the wingspan, I maybe somewhat confused from all the discussions relating to different scaled versions of the wing. Also is the CG spot on at 7.5 inches from the nose or is there some latitude....have had issues trying to workout the CG from online calculators as they more often come up with different readings from those quoted by the designers such as yourself, this has prevented me from designing my own wing.
Hope you can help
Regards..........
craigblk is offline Find More Posts by craigblk
Old Apr 01, 2013, 10:30 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblk View Post
Unfortunately late again to the party but could you confirm the orientation of sizes that you quote....is the 30 x 20 30 inches wide or 20 inches wide for the wingspan, I maybe somewhat confused from all the discussions relating to different scaled versions of the wing. Also is the CG spot on at 7.5 inches from the nose or is there some latitude....have had issues trying to workout the CG from online calculators as they more often come up with different readings from those quoted by the designers such as yourself, this has prevented me from designing my own wing.
Hope you can help
Regards..........
30" wide and 20" from nose to tail. 7.5" from the nose down the center line. refer to first pic. this is a very simple build. don't over think it!..
Old May 07, 2013, 05:06 AM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
30" wide and 20" from nose to tail. 7.5" from the nose down the center line. refer to first pic. this is a very simple build. don't over think it!..
Finished my 30 inch version of this delta wing, control surfaces set to relatively low rates with 40% expo and the CG set to 7.5 inches by balancing on a length of carbon rod. Each time I launch using 50% plus throttle at a 45 degree angle the wing just arcs into the ground. Tried moving the CG back by .5 of an inch and checking the movement of all control surfaces using elevens on a DX8 but still no joy.....any ideas anyone

Craig
Old May 07, 2013, 06:35 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigblk View Post
Finished my 30 inch version of this delta wing, control surfaces set to relatively low rates with 40% expo and the CG set to 7.5 inches by balancing on a length of carbon rod. Each time I launch using 50% plus throttle at a 45 degree angle the wing just arcs into the ground. Tried moving the CG back by .5 of an inch and checking the movement of all control surfaces using elevens on a DX8 but still no joy.....any ideas anyone

Craig
I have about 1/8" up elevon when the plane is sitting flat on the table. I haven't had any problems with the 4 I've made do far. What's your power setup? Is the angle of your motor straight?
Old May 07, 2013, 07:20 AM
RC Geeky
United Kingdom, Watford
Joined Mar 2011
68 Posts
Quote:
I have about 1/8" up elevon when the plane is sitting flat on the table. I haven't had any problems with the 4 I've made do far. What's your power setup? Is the angle of your motor straight?
Pictures attached showing motor mount, looks pretty straight and square to me. I will add a touch of up elevon as you suggest and try again when the weather permits. My power setup is a turnigy 2200kv motor with a 1750mah battery (also have plenty of 2200mah). I am launching by holding the fuselage and releasing under arm at approximately 45 degrees as informed in my previous post. Must be something I am doing wrong, as you say you have built and flown 4 successfully. The only good news is that there is no damage apart from a chipped prop after 3 crashes from takeoff.
Old May 07, 2013, 12:17 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Nice looking build! Mine are all slot propped . Having a motor in the front I usually have right down angles on my motors about 2. Other than that if it balances out at 7.5" from the nose you should be good to go. I would play with prop angle more than anything with that setup. Good luck and keep us informed!
Old May 07, 2013, 12:19 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Also try to balance it on your fingers upside down to get a true CG setup.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:34 AM
Joined Nov 2011
27 Posts
Hi guys,

I feel a bit dumb asking this question. But it seems i keep getting my numbers wrong. I'm trying to make a 16 ich version. Everytime i measure up the root-chord , it somehow doesn't look right.

Can you guys tell me what root-chord is for the 16 inch.

Thanks!!
Swamppxxl is offline Find More Posts by Swamppxxl
Old May 20, 2013, 02:21 PM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamppxxl View Post
Hi guys,

I feel a bit dumb asking this question. But it seems i keep getting my numbers wrong. I'm trying to make a 16 ich version. Everytime i measure up the root-chord , it somehow doesn't look right.

Can you guys tell me what root-chord is for the 16 inch.

Thanks!!
I would say 11'' for the root since 16" is half plus an inch of the width. then half of 20" is 10"+1"=11" if it doesn't look right try something different. delta are quite forgiving as long as your CG is correct.

COG calculator for customizing your build: http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/
Last edited by goodhumormarc; May 20, 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: cog link