HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, WA, Moses Lake
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
I'm putting a 1400kv 50 gram motor. It will pull 300 watts so I'm putting it with a 30 amp esc and try a 3 cell 1300 pack. I haven't weighed the new components yet hoping for about 15-16 oz. It should be a rocket. If I'm going to crash I'm going down in a ball of flames I'm not gonna put a pinto motor in a logging truck
Low and Slow is online now Find More Posts by Low and Slow
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:11 PM
Crashmaster
United States, CA, Lakewood
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
I'll try and take a vid for you guys tomorrow morning. I've yet to have a problem with a 6x4. When I was running 2s, I used a 7x5e and that was a very comfortable fast setup. Currently using 3s 2200mah batteries with a 6x4e and am having CRAZY fun (but dangerous)
Swammy1979 is offline Find More Posts by Swammy1979
Old Oct 20, 2012, 11:21 PM
figuring it out...sort of!
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,019 Posts
thats what I'm burnin too. nice and fast....for now! my AUW is 20+oz. flies great!
goodhumormarc is online now Find More Posts by goodhumormarc
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
Here is the other setup I had from a foamboard university plane I had. Its a 3s battery with the motor mounted on a simpson tie I got from lowes for about 60 cents. I clamped that tie to a piece of wood and drilled a 3/8 hole in the center of the end of the tie where the motor bearing is and centered the x mount over that center hole and pocket drilled the hole pattern in the tie with my drill press. Then I just screw the motor to the tie directly no x brace and when I put that mounting tape on that tie I better have it centered when I set it down cause there is no moving that stuff. It's 3m double sided outdoor mounting tape, its like putty but I will have to cut the tie off and destroy the plane to swap the motor again.Thats how strong that stuff is. I put reference center lines and cg lines to set it down straight when it hits that tape it wont come off ever. For me its a lot easier to do the mount this way cause its quick and swappable since I have the drill press and I don't have to mess with glueing wood and finding screws this is done.

The new fuselage is just as low as I could get it and much more streamlined than my old one but its not in the pic. Those components all weigh up at 16.05 ounces. I think the battery weighs 3.8 ounces if you can read it. This is Ed's foamboard university noob tube build setup. I know for a fact it will fly a 20 oz plane with that 8 inch prop. I'm going to turn mine into a jeep. Or a flying fanboat.It should go straight up but maybe not as fast. Maybe I can hover it.

I'm gonna catch all the air I can and see how it works.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 12:57 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,019 Posts
perfect! that will be just fine!
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:18 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
I flew my 40" delta this morning. Only had one battery ready, so it was a brief test. With my motor/prop combo, I get the speed of a good sport plane. Maybe around 40 or so. I didnt open it up that much as my rates were a bit high. Landings are just like my 30". Nice and floaty. Might need to add some nose weight actually. Guess next flight will look into that along with stall speed.

Five Dollar FPV 40in Delta Test (4 min 18 sec)
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Oct 21, 2012, 07:41 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Nice flights, rcbif! At least you got flying weather! We've had 2 drizzly mornings in a row here in the Los Angeles area, leaving me no choice but to do another scratchbuild (oh horror of horrors, I know).

Your plane looks to maneuver very well with minimal ailevon movement. Did you do this one without a fuselage? Pictures, PICTURES!! Major kudos for video though.
Last edited by Swammy1979; Oct 21, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 08:20 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swammy1979 View Post
Nice flights, rcbif! At least you got flying weather! We've had 2 drizzly mornings in a row here in the Los Angeles area, leaving me no choice but to do another scratchbuild (oh horror of horrors, I know).

Your plane looks to maneuver very well with minimal ailevon movement. Did you do this one without a fuselage? Pictures, PICTURES!! Major kudos for video though.
I'm gonna make a fuselage once I figure out my fpv camera placement. Once I do add it though, it will be just big enough for the components.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
Joined Feb 2012
416 Posts
I got rid of the big air blocking crackerbox I had on top and the little motor. Since the battery is heavier I shortened it up too. I made the top lid hinge from the side like a cigar box its not closed down good cause battery is rolled up on its side. I bet it flies better now.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 01:57 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
My 40" ready for it's fpv maiden. Hoping my fpv camera off to the side dosent cause too much issue.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:22 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,019 Posts
soooo, howd it go on the maiden? looks nice! did you use chloroplast for the nose and canopy? what power setup?

Marc
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:51 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodhumormarc View Post
soooo, howd it go on the maiden? looks nice! did you use chloroplast for the nose and canopy? what power setup?

Marc
no maiden yet. The east coast is getting slammed by the effects of a hurricane and it's nonstop rain till till next thur

Yep, coroplast for the canopy ans nose. I figure those are both high use areas, for landing, and getting handled a lot loading the battery, so they should be strong.

The motor is a 480 1400kv
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-14%29/Detail
With a 40 amp esc, and 9x4.5 prop.

It's not blazing fast, but good enough for my first time piloting a FPV plane that has ailerons and some speed to it.

Here is a second test video where you can get an idea of it's speed at some points. It does launch better than the 30", and I could probably even do so at 1/2-3/4 throttle. A bit of waggle is noticeable when exiting turns. Maybe two vert fins would be better.
40inch FPV delta test 2 (5 min 14 sec)
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:58 AM
USA, OR, Happy Valley
Joined Jul 2010
1,019 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbif View Post
no maiden yet. The east coast is getting slammed by the effects of a hurricane and it's nonstop rain till till next thur

Yep, coroplast for the canopy ans nose. I figure those are both high use areas, for landing, and getting handled a lot loading the battery, so they should be strong.

The motor is a 480 1400kv
http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...h-14%29/Detail
With a 40 amp esc, and 9x4.5 prop.

It's not blazing fast, but good enough for my first time piloting a FPV plane that has ailerons and some speed to it.

Here is a second test video where you can get an idea of it's speed at some points. It does launch better than the 30", and I could probably even do so at 1/2-3/4 throttle. A bit of waggle is noticeable when exiting turns. Maybe two vert fins would be better.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRrpPJ_aElA
That looks like a great place to fly there! it sure looks plenty fast on that setup. It looks like I need to make a 40"! nice job! I.ve noticed the same waggle on mine too and also wondered if a second fin would help. I did glue on some uprights on the wing edge on my smaller one and it seems to help but that thing is so over responsive and fast its hard to tell Well good luck making it through the Hurricane! I hope you have all the provisions you need.

Marc
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:09 PM
Do a Barrel Roll!
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
FPV maiden of the 40". Flew great aside from the bit of tail wiggle.

5 Dollar 40" FPV Delta Maiden (4 min 28 sec)
Old Nov 03, 2012, 07:33 PM
Crashmaster
Joined Jul 2012
199 Posts
Nice resolution, what cam are you using, and is it expensive? You look like you're very comfortable flying her, I've been getting there myself lately too. The past few days of flying have been spent trying to create a puff of dust as I drag the ailevons on the dirt of the baseball diamond as a sort of touch&go. I haven't been successful yet, but I'm getting closer and closer.