SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:14 PM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Discussion
Awesome flying simple Delta

Hi everyone. After several scratch build designs I am confident enough to share this one. I have now build a couple of these in different sizes and they fly incredible. In fact, I didn't even have to use a single click of trim for the last one. I fly them in high (ish) winds too without any problems. They glide well and are razor precise. I went flying with my friend who just built his new Pop Wing the other day, and he immediately went home and built himself one. Now he says it is his best flying plane. These can be built in a couple of hours too.
Credit for the tape covering and some of the techniques working with dollar tree foam go to "Experimental Airlines" right here on the forums.

I'll show a 30 inch version here. You can make it any size. Just start off with a sheet of dollar tree foam. Cover what will be the bottom side with packing tape. You draw the plan on the board, then just score the paper where indicated in the pic below. Remove the paper and fold it over almost like making a paper airplane. Glue it down tight. You will end up trimming some of the folded over area to square up what will be the fuselage.

I make the fuselage 2 inches by 2 inches, but you can make it any shape and size. My friend made his look more like a drone. It worked great.

The vertical stabilizers can be any shape too. I have one with 3 stabilizers just for looks and another with one. My friend made two with a horizontal piece joining them. Again just build to style.

Neither of us used any spar, and it is stiff as a board. You could easily add a spar to make it stronger too. So far we have crashed these nose first, just pick up toss in the air no problem. Nearly indestructible. They fly on rails and happy fast or fairly slow.

I used a crappy EMP 28x22 1400kv with a 7x5 APC prop. It flew great, but I am not having luck with EMP motors. It failed after a dozen or so flights. I'll be switching it out for a 2200kv just for some extra thrill.

I know it is not much, but it flies so well I wanted to share. Please upload your ideas and any changes etc. If you guys make any improvements share away! I love experimenting and kicking around plans.
I apologize for the poor quality pics, I just used my phone.

The orange one in the last picture is a 16" mini. It flies awesome too. I even flew it at an indoor meetup.

VIDEOS:
RC Delta Wing (3 min 49 sec)

RC Delta Wing scratch build (2 min 2 sec)

I really need to get a hat cam... There are some good passes on the 30" video, but unfortunately it does go out of frame a bit. You can also see my friend's Pop wing in that one...
-Brandon
brandonherring is offline Find More Posts by brandonherring
Last edited by brandonherring; Sep 19, 2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Adding a Video
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:23 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Nice! I love the clean lines and simple design. It looks like a winner. What's the biggest size that's been built? Has it been used to carry any camera or FPV gear?
ibillwilson is offline Find More Posts by ibillwilson
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:25 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
The largest built so far has been 30". I fly heavy though with 1800mah 3s. I am sure it would carry a small camera. Especially with maybe a 1000-1300 batt.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:09 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Okay, I was thinking of going bigger, using a 2200 mAh 3s, and carrying a GoPro (about 6 oz by itself).

How much does your 30" with the 1800 weigh?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibillwilson View Post
Okay, I was thinking of going bigger, using a 2200 mAh 3s, and carrying a GoPro (about 6 oz by itself).

How much does your 30" with the 1800 weigh?
Honestly, I have yet to get a proper scale. I will be pretty soon so I can start making some micro planes and know where I am with weight.

I'd live to see this thing with a larger size. Given the specs, you told me I think using two sheets and drawing the plan across them to take up 40" would be a great size. You could possibly reduce the wing sweep too and create a little more surface. At 40" I would add a spar for sure, especially being two sheets. Add some pics of your build if you decide to try it.

-Brandon
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:06 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Will do... this one is simple enough to build quickly, so there's a chance I might actually do it relatively soon.

I want to finish up my own design first... will probably wrap that up within a couple of days, then build yours.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1725361
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 04:14 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
One question... when you're applying tape to what will become the bottom side of the plane, do you peel the paper or leave it on?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:40 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
One question... when you're applying tape to what will become the bottom side of the plane, do you peel the paper or leave it on?
Leave the paper on. The tape sticks great to it, and it adds strength. I apply the tape exactly how Experimental Airlines does in his "Scratch Build university" thread. I've built his "Noob Toob" and been using his taping and folding techniques on my own designs for a bit now.

-Brandon
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:25 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Great, thanks Brandon. By the way, the wingspan is going to be 48"... I just bought a 32"x48" sheet of *black* foamboard.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Oct 2005
11 Posts
Interesting little delta, where is the CG located?
Fred Koval is offline Find More Posts by Fred Koval
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:58 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Great, thanks Brandon. By the way, the wingspan is going to be 48"... I just bought a 32"x48" sheet of *black* foamboard.
Awesome. Where did you get the 32x48 at?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Koval View Post
Interesting little delta, where is the CG located?
On the 30" it's about 7.5" from the nose.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:13 AM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonherring View Post
Awesome. Where did you get the 32x48 at?
Edit: I was mistaken, it is not 32x48 ... it is 32x40.

A local arts & crafts supply store.... They had a few different sizes and thicknesses of foam board (Elmer's brand) in white, some in black. They also had quite a bit of coroplast in different sizes... I may get some the next time I'm there.

The 32x40 sheet was about $5... A little more expensive than what I ususally pay for foam, but not bad, and probably worth it for this plane because I still get to use the one-sheet folded construction technique.

One thing I noticed about this board is that it seems to be stiffer than dollar store foam board. The foam is about the same thickness, but the paper seems to be a heavier grade. Maybe I won't need a spar?!

By the way... Were you thinking of a KFm2 airfoil when you designed this, or did that just arise from the way you folded the foam board?
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ibillwilson; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Jan 2005
108 Posts
Quote:
Edit: I was mistaken, it is not 32x48 ... it is 32x40.

A local arts & crafts supply store.... They had a few different sizes and thicknesses of foam board (Elmer's brand) in white, some in black. They also had quite a bit of coroplast in different sizes... I may get some the next time I'm there.

The 32x40 sheet was about $5... A little more expensive than what I ususally pay for foam, but not bad, and probably worth it for this plane because I still get to use the one-sheet folded construction technique.

One thing I noticed about this board is that it seems to be stiffer than dollar store foam board. The foam is about the same thickness, but the paper seems to be a heavier grade. Maybe I won't need a spar?!

By the way... Were you thinking of a KFm2 airfoil when you designed this, or did that just arise from the way you folded the foam board?
Cool. I have used the Elmers before. It's definitely more stiff mostly because of the thicker paper.

No, I wasn't exactly thinking of the KFm2 so to say. Mostly since I didn't bother with measuring where the lip would be etc. I knew a step somewhere would help, and the folding would make it stiff... Honestly the first one I folded over a BBQ skewer and sanded the trailing edge of the top lip so it was more of a smooth transition... I'm not sure it made any difference however.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:05 PM
Smells like SCIENCE!!!
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2012
341 Posts
I've decided to make a mini first, as a test case. I want to get things just right before I scale it up. I'll probably make more than one, actually... I want to try it as designed, then with spars included to increase the step height (a KFm2), and then flipped over (a KFm1).

Then I have to figure out the best way to mount my GoPro... I just got it as a birthday gift, and it hasn't flown yet. I'm hoping to remedy that situation this weekend.
RCG Plus Member