HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Discussion
RC tank electronic advice needed please!

Hello all,

I am a new member to your forum and am also very new to the RC world, infact I have never owned a rc vehicle since my friend managed to lose my (relativly cheap) rc helecopter in a river on its maiden flight

I am a teacher and this year have been asked to run a Design and Technology course for 12 year olds. I have decided to run a course looking at and then eventually designing a space rover. One part of the project uses a piece of software called Flowol 4 which in essence is a very simple graphical programming software. The benifit of this software is that it comes with a control box that is able to have external inputs and run outputs such as motors. I want the pupils to write a program to control a rc tank that I have bourght. I didn't really know what I was buying... which was a silly mistake but was on a deadline from the head of the school. I have bourght a Oversize 1/12 Scale Abrams M1A2 Radio Remote Control RC Battle Tank.

The advice I am hoping for is on how I should get the control box to comunicate with the vehicle. I was thinking of opening the remote control unit and connecting the Flowol control box to the controls so that 1 output would move the tank forward, another to move it backwards, one to turn left and one to turn right. The result I hope should be that the pupils could design a program using delays and turning outputs on and off to navigate the tank around a simple obstical course.

Link to control box info I have the newest model of the box (the one at the top of the page) (Features: • 6 x Volt Digital Outputs • 4 x Additional Reversing 6V Motor Outputs • 6 x Digital Inputs • 4 x Analogue Inputs • USB Connection • Low Voltage 1.2A mains power supply.)

I understand that this request may be a little vague but I am, as I said earlier, an absolute noob at this sort of thing. Any advice is greatfully recieved and I will try and answer any questions you have if I can!

Thanks

John
TranquilityEden is offline Find More Posts by TranquilityEden
Last edited by TranquilityEden; Sep 10, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 01:45 PM
Semper Fi
Northern Triaid North Carolina
Joined Jun 2008
1,005 Posts
What you are describing is more of a control module for a robot than a tank. You can control a tank like you have purchased, but it is going to be more of a question for the robot guys than us tankers. We live by the K.I.S.S. principal mostly.

Herman
GreenAmphibian is offline Find More Posts by GreenAmphibian
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:26 AM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenAmphibian View Post
What you are describing is more of a control module for a robot than a tank. You can control a tank like you have purchased, but it is going to be more of a question for the robot guys than us tankers. We live by the K.I.S.S. principal mostly.

Herman
Thank you, Tanker , for your reply, I was wondering if you could suggest where I could find a "robot guy"? Does this forum have a section dedicated to this? Or could you recommend another forum/website?
TranquilityEden is offline Find More Posts by TranquilityEden
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:20 AM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,382 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/robotics-297/
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl