HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ChrisBowker, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:57 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
Discussion
New F3p Design

After being quiet on my blog for to long I thought I'd share a pic of a new f3P model I will have out for the indoor season. I hope to have it avliable in 3-4 sizes, two of which will be for "normal" gear 34+" spans and two will be for UMX gear, 1s and 2s setups. The planes in the photo are 34" & 25" and came in at 94g & 54g RTF. I should have more info to share and a release date for it soon.

The Design still needs a name...if you have a really good suggestion it just might get used...and might get you a free kit in the process

Thanks for looking, Feel free to post your comments.

Chris

Edit: Added video from the recent CAF fun fly, sorry about the horrible glare in the video the hanger was not video friendly in the middle of the day

P1820789 (3 min 29 sec)
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ChrisBowker; Nov 05, 2012 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Registered User
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,656 Posts
Looks great! I struggle to get my foamies light enough.... gotta learn from folks like you .

Name? I saw the winglets (?) and it made me think, "Hammerhead"... not sure if that conveys your design or not, but I'll put it out there ;-).

Cheers!
J
uberjay is online now Find More Posts by uberjay
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:45 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberjay View Post
Looks great! I struggle to get my foamies light enough.... gotta learn from folks like you .

Name? I saw the winglets (?) and it made me think, "Hammerhead"... not sure if that conveys your design or not, but I'll put it out there ;-).

Cheers!
J
A big tip I can pass along is to use a paper towel to soak up the excess thin CA applied to the model, When ever I glue a strut in regardless of how little glue I apply I always hit it with the paper towel just to get that little excess off(it doesnt sound like much but it adds up fast). glue is the #1 cause of over weight models. Paint is also another big killer, I use Model Masters Enamel paint on my super light models, The paint added .1g to this model, But Ive seen people add 1/2+oz to a model with paint. It pays to have a good scale to weigh your parts so you can pin point where the weight is coming from

Thanks for the suggestion, I kind of like "The Hammer" but not sure that fits a f3p plane, keep em coming

Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:49 AM
Registered User
2.4ghz's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Sep 2009
108 Posts
Bowker's Planes.

All you guys out there that know Chris and for those that don't, I have been flying RC for just over 35 years now and when I met Chris his knowledge of RC at his age was just amazing, I got to go to his house / shop and wow I could say more but WOW is just good enough, this young man has so much talent it makes me sick. His Design techniques are over the top as he is very knowledgeable with the cad program. All you guys out there that have bought a kit or were given a kit from Chris can jump in at anytime as you are the ones that know the quality and the fit of each piece of his kits, I can tell you personally that I watched him cut out kits on his C&C machine and the fit of these little parts are unbelievable, and the reason is Chris does not just design a plane and cut it out and shove it in a box and send it to you, I watched him make adjustment after adjustment after adjustment and plane after plane after plane to get something I would call good better and better and better til the fit of the part was just right, you guys can go out and buy a plane like Chris's and you would think you would be happy but I am telling you this just from my perspective It will not be a Bowker kit, it will not fly like a Bowker kit and it will not go together like a Bowker kit. If you guys are worried about spending another couple bucks to get his plane I suggest you do it, just because they fly so so good, when you build 15 or 20 or more prototypes he has the advantage of making it right.
I will also tell you his carbon fiber control horns are SUPER also, I have seen him throw away sheets of what i thought was good in the garbage because the hole for the control wire was way to sloppy, heck it looked good to me. Chris is a perfectionist and his kits and his flying skills show it. I just wish he would go out flying more then he does because he could be a #1 pilot I have seen it.

And guys no i did not receive a free kit for writing this, I did it because I know Chris and I know what he is capable of producing, + I tried that type of flying with these planes and I would have to buy them by the gross. Im just an Ol sport flyer.
2.4ghz is offline Find More Posts by 2.4ghz
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:57 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.4ghz View Post
All you guys out there that know Chris and for those that don't, I have been flying RC for just over 35 years now and when I met Chris his knowledge of RC at his age was just amazing, I got to go to his house / shop and wow I could say more but WOW is just good enough, this young man has so much talent it makes me sick. His Design techniques are over the top as he is very knowledgeable with the cad program. All you guys out there that have bought a kit or were given a kit from Chris can jump in at anytime as you are the ones that know the quality and the fit of each piece of his kits, I can tell you personally that I watched him cut out kits on his C&C machine and the fit of these little parts are unbelievable, and the reason is Chris does not just design a plane and cut it out and shove it in a box and send it to you, I watched him make adjustment after adjustment after adjustment and plane after plane after plane to get something I would call good better and better and better til the fit of the part was just right, you guys can go out and buy a plane like Chris's and you would think you would be happy but I am telling you this just from my perspective It will not be a Bowker kit, it will not fly like a Bowker kit and it will not go together like a Bowker kit. If you guys are worried about spending another couple bucks to get his plane I suggest you do it, just because they fly so so good, when you build 15 or 20 or more prototypes he has the advantage of making it right.
I will also tell you his carbon fiber control horns are SUPER also, I have seen him throw away sheets of what i thought was good in the garbage because the hole for the control wire was way to sloppy, heck it looked good to me. Chris is a perfectionist and his kits and his flying skills show it. I just wish he would go out flying more then he does because he could be a #1 pilot I have seen it.

And guys no i did not receive a free kit for writing this, I did it because I know Chris and I know what he is capable of producing, + I tried that type of flying with these planes and I would have to buy them by the gross. Im just an Ol sport flyer.
Ron, Thanks for the extremely kind words! you should get me into the base club so I can go fly on the weekends
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
Mr. foambuilder's Avatar
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,084 Posts
Ditto ^ on what Ron said. I have flown not with Chris, but at the same venue, because he is a pleasure to watch. I have video of Chris doing rolling harriers in the entrance to the venue in San Angelo, Tx. Then down the ramp and KE thru the nearly closed door. It is an awesome thing to watch him fly, and I have never gotten a bad kit from him, not even the ones he wanted to throw away. Good luck on the new kit, and Gary and the bunch are still waiting on the one to fly at Plainview in a couple of weeks My entry name is "The Master" Thanks. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 03:10 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. foambuilder View Post
Ditto ^ on what Ron said. I have flown not with Chris, but at the same venue, because he is a pleasure to watch. I have video of Chris doing rolling harriers in the entrance to the venue in San Angelo, Tx. Then down the ramp and KE thru the nearly closed door. It is an awesome thing to watch him fly, and I have never gotten a bad kit from him, not even the ones he wanted to throw away. Good luck on the new kit, and Gary and the bunch are still waiting on the one to fly at Plainview in a couple of weeks My entry name is "The Master" Thanks. Roy
you have flown "into chris' plane"

If you want to drive up here you can take the big one from the photo...not joking. You could just mail back the radio gear after its "tested" :P

Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:59 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
Mr. foambuilder's Avatar
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowker View Post
you have flown "into chris' plane"

If you want to drive up here you can take the big one from the photo...not joking. You could just mail back the radio gear after its "tested" :P

Chris
Chris; I think you have the facts wrong on the incident above, I believe you flew in front of me, and I flew THROUGH you Roy
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:03 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
no no no, I flew infront of Sandy, and she flew right the @#$% through my 330...You however flew into my pattern plane at TINY two(almost three) years ago...your old fart memory probably doesn't remember :P
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:17 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
Mr. foambuilder's Avatar
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowker View Post
no no no, I flew infront of Sandy, and she flew right the @#$% through my 330...You however flew into my pattern plane at TINY two(almost three) years ago...your old fart memory probably doesn't remember :P
Sandy, TINY, who what where who theare you Dune buggies, I don't know what your talking about. $330.00 I don't get it
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 11:26 AM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
Mr. foambuilder's Avatar
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,084 Posts
Chris; Do not say that too loudly, even at the price of gas today, I may take you up on that. BUT a word of warning, be ready to sell some kits if Ii do this. Roy
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:52 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. foambuilder View Post
Chris; Do not say that too loudly, even at the price of gas today, I may take you up on that. BUT a word of warning, be ready to sell some kits if Ii do this. Roy
I can get it to moriarty...thats a good 50 miles closer to you
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:04 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
Mr. foambuilder's Avatar
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,084 Posts
OOOOOHH I am so hurting right now. I can just feel that silky beautiful aircraft, and all it's glory.
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:53 PM
Fly for God, not for the World
Not Free's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2011
140 Posts
" The Static ", " The Shark ", " The Dolphin ", or " The OWL "

Some name suggestions
Not Free is offline Find More Posts by Not Free
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:43 PM
"Free" in Christ!
Free's Avatar
United States, CA, SF
Joined Jan 2012
863 Posts
BEAUTIFUL!

Name sugestions:

1. "Asset" Definition: A useful or valuable thing. EDIT: I am now using that name.

2. "Iris" Definition: The goddess of the rainbow, who acted as a messenger of the gods.

3. "Aves" Definition: A class of vertebrates that comprises the birds.

4. "Dove" Definition: A stocky bird with a small head, short legs, and a cooing voice.

5. "Cloud" Definition: A visible mass of condensed water vapor floating in the atmosphere.

Just suggestions,

Free
Free is offline Find More Posts by Free
Last edited by Free; Oct 23, 2012 at 07:37 PM. Reason: One more suggestion
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion SYMMETRIC, new Donatas Pauzuolis F3P design. 3Don Indoor Pattern/F3P 135 Nov 16, 2011 02:29 PM
Build Log The Kahuna: New design for F3P. Brian Courtice Indoor Pattern/F3P 23 Apr 07, 2010 12:38 AM
New Product New F3p design from "ETOC-Meijer" in Sweden+VIDEO cmeijer Indoor Pattern/F3P 25 Jan 08, 2008 12:22 AM
Discussion Elite, a simple F3P-B / F3P-C design Erik Johansson 3D Flying 2 Jan 13, 2006 08:05 AM