HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:15 AM
Orlando
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Discussion
Best DSM2 Receiver for 4-meter Sailplane

I've been having some radio problems lately (don't ask) and want to know what to install for the sailplanes that I fly at the limit of my vision. I want to stay with JR and currently have a DSM2 setup.

What is the best currently available receiver to fly and what is the recommended install?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Rick
ThermalBuster is offline Find More Posts by ThermalBuster
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:48 AM
Orlando "Buzzards" FL
Joined May 2002
1,234 Posts
Rick
7000/7010 is probably the most versatile, I put the main receiver behind the servo tray, and the remote receiver forward of the servo tray. I strap the main one down, the remote just lays there.
I also use the 6200/6210, they are a bit smaller so can fit in tighter fuselages.
DSMX receivers are compatable with DSM2 transmitters, I am eventually switching my tx to DSMX, so I am only buying DSMX moving forward.
raed5 is online now Find More Posts by raed5
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:15 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
6,038 Posts
I would use the Orange 9ch with dual satellites. I have them in my Shadow 3.7m and Dragonfly Strong 3.5m as well as a couple powered planes. Rock solid at a great price.
Evan D is online now Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:45 PM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,153 Posts
AR7000 or JR910.

I wouldn't touch an orange rip-off in anything more than a foamy.
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev
Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Jul 2009
567 Posts
7010 here.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:25 AM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,168 Posts
I suggest the JR921- I use this plus 1 sattelite in the 3.5M Xplorers, and add a 2nd sattelite in the tail fin on the 4M. I like the JR version better than the Spektrum version, seems to connect quicker.

Bruce
blewis01 is offline Find More Posts by blewis01
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:41 AM
Orlando
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
I appreciate the replies. Lots of good thoughts.

Thanks!
Rick
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:43 AM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,764 Posts
Which plane are you installing it in?
Is the nose zero carbon?

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:32 PM
Orlando
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Target,

I have a variety of planes that I want to convert including both full carbon fuses and 2.4 fuses. So far I have not gotten a satisfactory range check with 2.4 antenna inside a FG fuse. (Full carbon fuses always get whiskers.)

I had a 2.4 setup in the nose of a new Xplorer and it didn't range check well enough for me to trust it. (Highly touted inexpensive gear.) Its an Xplorer 4000 with a '2.4 friendly' fuse.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:38 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,764 Posts
I get good result with my Xplorer with an AR8000 and a satellite.
The main is forward, with the antenna forward under the LiFe battery.
The satellite is under the mounting screw for the ballast tube at the aft end of the servo tray...
Lot of folks are extending their patch cable and putting the satellite in the vertical fin above the carbon, with very good results.

Make sure that you bundle your servo and power wires, and keep the antennas for the Rx's away from them.... In tubing is a good thing.

At least with the data logger, you can optimize the install....

R,
Target

I just maidened a glass original supra (hybrid carbon kevlar nose) with success with an AR9300 and its two whisker's at 3 and 9 o'clock, angled back and out at 45*, just aft of the nose cone.
The satellite on that one sits just ahead of the pylon, and the antenna is straight down out the belly ahead of the of the carbon boom. Had it in the air about 25-30 minutes last Sunday, with 56 frame losses, but no holds....
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Last edited by target; Sep 12, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 01:55 PM
Orlando
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Thanks for the info. How are guys extending their patch cable? Can an extension be purchased or is it a home mod?

Rick
Old Sep 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
that's gonna hurt...
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined May 2005
1,168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThermalBuster View Post
Thanks for the info. How are guys extending their patch cable? Can an extension be purchased or is it a home mod?

Rick
It's a DYI mod - nobody sells one that is long enough. I bought a short one, cut it in half, and added wire to make the new length. It's now longer than reccomended, but the data logger shows great results.

Bruce
blewis01 is offline Find More Posts by blewis01
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:32 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
Rick, I'm using AR 7000 receivers in both my Shadow and my Xplorer. For both planes I extended the receiver to satellite cable by cutting it in half and splicing lightweight wire in between, then carved out a piece of the rudder post and mounted the satellite receivers high inside the fin where there's no carbon.

Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Sep 12, 2012, 07:34 PM
Orlando
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Mike,

I'm warming up to that idea. Is servo wire appropriate for the extension and does it need to be twisted or anything. How much did you end up adding? Its a long way back to the fin.

Rick
Old Sep 12, 2012, 09:45 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,486 Posts
I believe servo wire would be overkill and would probably add an objectionable amount of weight. In my opinion, the conductors don't need to be very thick at all because an extremely low amount of current flows between the receiver and satellite. I think your main concern should be that the wires aren't so thin and fragile that they might break.

I used what I found in my junk box - a flexible, six-foot, 4-conductor telephone cord meant to connect an old-fashioned desk telephone to a wall jack (not the coiled cord that goes to the receiver.) I dissected it, chose three of the individual wires that were inside, and twisted them together. (I don't know if it's necessary to twist them for any electronics-related purpose; I only twisted them enough to keep them neat.) Then I determined how much length I needed to add to the existing Spektrum satellite cable, cut the Spektrum cable in half, and spliced in the new wires. I used short lengths of the smallest shrink tubing I could find to insulate the splices.

The hardest part was feeding the cable through the tail. It was tricky getting it around the bell crank assembly and through the fuse in such a way that I could be sure there was no interference between the cable and the elevator linkage, but I was able to do it.

Remember, all I'm saying is that this is how I did it and it's been working fine for me.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike