HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:40 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by v9climber View Post
Honestly the only reason I havenít stepped up to a UHF system at the moment is due to I want to move to the next platform (either a ZII or Skywalker). I have 100+ flights on my EZ and recently went from a monitor to Fatsharks (big difference). Anyways just wanted to say hi, and introduce myself to the group.
Hi John, greetings
and for sure we gonna get a good company here, in DC area.

If I were you, would take SkyWalker after EZ . SW is the most reliable and easiest to fly FPV .
Just do not take 1900 model, but 1680. 1900 flies very stable too, but very slow (like a parachute in even little wind)
and you are going be disappointed after EZ.
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:18 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Yah - Hey John. Nice to meet. I fly in F-burg a lot. Giant scale, gas stuff (not FPV) at FARCC.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
142 Posts
What are u guys using for monitors.Goggles or laptop or what
banks is offline Find More Posts by banks
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:50 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banks View Post
LCD TV (13") and, or HeadPlay goggles.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:11 PM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
Well its nice to meet you all. Exactly my concern with the Skywalker IL76MD, its just like an EZ with more room. My issue with the EZ is payload, which equates to uptime and distance. Speed is not an issue, as my EZ is a rocket. I am just afraid the Skywalker is just bigger EZ. As for flying that's the easy part, I fly small scale 3D and hotliners, so speed and stick control are easy from the slot view. I am inching towards a ZII but my biggest fear is its a wing. Now I have wings and that's why I know how hard they can be to launch, even if you have done it a 1000 times they are always squirrely on the launch. And that's a lot of money on the nose. The worst part is I am an engineer so I have to research everything, and then a second time to make sure I didn't miss something.

I also fly with both, 19in monitor, and Fatsharks.

Oso M - I have not flown gasers or glows for like 7 yrs, and miss them. Mostly I fly smaller 3Dstuff now.
v9climber is offline Find More Posts by v9climber
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:49 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
Quote:
Well its nice to meet you all. Exactly my concern with the Skywalker IL76MD, its just like an EZ with more room. My issue with the EZ is payload, which equates to uptime and distance. Speed is not an issue, as my EZ is a rocket. I am just afraid the Skywalker is just bigger EZ. As for flying that's the easy part, I fly small scale 3D and hotliners, so speed and stick control are easy from the slot view. I am inching towards a ZII but my biggest fear is its a wing. Now I have wings and that's why I know how hard they can be to launch, even if you have done it a 1000 times they are always squirrely on the launch. And that's a lot of money on the nose. The worst part is I am an engineer so I have to research everything, and then a second time to make sure I didn't miss something.

I also fly with both, 19in monitor, and Fatsharks.

Oso M - I have not flown gasers or glows for like 7 yrs, and miss them. Mostly I fly smaller 3Dstuff now.
Yeah, I've been having fun with them. But really hot on getting into ome high level FPV.

Im just about to maiden an X8 wing, have you looked at that?

A lot of guys talk about launch issues, but the vast majority of the have no problems hand launching. It's super big, low wing loading, and cavernous interior.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
Yes looked at the X8 wing, but I want to have a very durable air frame. ZII you can glass and basically hit tree's and not worry, the X8 is still foam. The payload for the X8 is amazing, and have watched many videos for its flight qualities. I like you are looking for that next big leap... I have flown my EZ to its limit with the current setup, and even with a UHF system it would still only be in the air for 15-20 mins tops. I want to fly 40mphs for 30 mins straight.

Have you flown wings before? I imagine the X8 probably is easier to launch compared to the ZII, but still its a wing. If your comfortable with wings then I am sure you don't need this advice, but if not then find a hill and fly off it into the wind. With the wing launches when it goes bad, it goes bad fast... lol ... another reason for a durable platform.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,941 Posts
Quote:
Fat sharks and JXD 990.
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:33 PM
United States, PA, Norristown
Joined May 2012
625 Posts
Quote:
Got a pair of fatshark dominators and a pair of preds, also have a 3rd pair of the foxtech aio for a 3rd passenger. Use FPV Japan dvr with lcd screen for recording and on premise playback
Jengaleng is offline Find More Posts by Jengaleng
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:31 PM
Joined Nov 2010
108 Posts
So started the day off by flying one of my wings and zipping around. LOL.. I swapped controls to a new remote and forgot to put any Expo before the first flight; was like flying a bronco as it was so twitchy. Second flight was a smooth as glass, and it makes me really lean towards a ZII. Anyways, after that fired up the EZ and let my wife enjoy the first flight with the Dominators and as I was getting ready to enjoy the second flight I got a visit from the local fire Dept. I get lots of people interested in my flying due to it location. So I invited the FD over for a FPV of the neighborhood. All in all was a great day even if I never was the one actually enjoying the FPV. Hope you guys get/got out this weekend to fly.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:43 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Hope you guys get/got out this weekend to fly.
Yes, it was one of the Best Flying Day for me. I've got my new record 18km away
on my SW w/new really big wings 2.6m. I spent around 6500mah for that, flying more than 70min on the morning, starting at 8:30AM.
I was right about Woodstock - there was very windy and went just on my place in MD.
At 9-11Am there was light N wind and i could get my flight. Will show video a little latter.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:50 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
142 Posts
Wow 18km that's awesome
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:27 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,352 Posts
IL76, yeah awesome. Did you say you were using 1.2ghz for video?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
142 Posts
I have 900mhz half watt so ill be happy if i get 4 or 5 miles lol.Im just working on cam mount for my set up and i should be good to go.Hopefully this up coming weekend the weather will b ok and ill be buzzing around lol.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:47 AM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
IL76, yeah awesome. Did you say you were using 1.2ghz for video?
Thanks.
Yes, 1280MHz for video, but don't now how much power on my Tx, just marked as 1000mW.
And more important, i have upgraded Rx (by SAW filter) from readymaderc and good antennas.