HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 03:55 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,373 Posts
The thing that concerns me though, is it appears to be popping up in states all over the country. Not a good sign...
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:08 PM
United States, MD, Bel Air
Joined Oct 2010
161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang View Post
The thing that concerns me though, is it appears to be popping up in states all over the country. Not a good sign...
Right and the great republic of Maryland will take this away from us as soon as they figure out how to take our guns.. which won't be long
harfordhawk is offline Find More Posts by harfordhawk
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:59 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,373 Posts
lol A friend of mine at work, who lives in PA, calls it the People's Democratic Republic of Maryland.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:41 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
It is a concern... And a few days ago the city of Charlottsville VA made an all out moratorium on buying drones. So ridiculous.

I hope whomever the city bureaucrat who made that policy never losses a child in the woods. Lord knows if my missing child was last seen in a red van, I'd want all the eyes in the sky I could get looking for red vans leaving my neighborhood.

People are claiming drones violate civil liberties. Drones to violate anything, people using them do. The same goes for guns,.
Oso M is online now Find More Posts by Oso M
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:14 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
Going to be a gorgeous day tomorrow... Anybody off and flying?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:14 PM
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
It is a concern... And a few days ago the city of Charlottsville VA made an all out moratorium on buying drones. So ridiculous.

I hope whomever the city bureaucrat who made that policy never losses a child in the woods. Lord knows if my missing child was last seen in a red van, I'd want all the eyes in the sky I could get looking for red vans leaving my neighborhood.

People are claiming drones violate civil liberties. Drones to violate anything, people using them do. The same goes for guns,.
There is a lobbying group based in Charlottesville that is heavily anti-done so that's how that happened. Language is a bit vauge but the ordinance is supposed to make exceptions for hobbyists.

I'll keep an eye on the pending state bill so will update everyone if/when that changes.
smoothvirus is online now Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:11 AM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Apr 2008
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
There is a lobbying group based in Charlottesville that is heavily anti-done so that's how that happened. Language is a bit vauge but the ordinance is supposed to make exceptions for hobbyists.

I'll keep an eye on the pending state bill so will update everyone if/when that changes.
Been watching this with interest as I'm in C'Ville's backyard (Chesterfield). I saw a good piece of advice from somebody on the DC Drones meet-up list: We should probably stop referring to what we fly as "drones" as the media has given that term an unsavory connotation. I forgot exactly what he recommended as an alternative, "remotely piloted R/C planes" or something similar to help differentiate. I have to agree. There's a huge difference between what we fly and what the military flies and we need to make sure the general public understands the vast difference in capabilities.

just my $.02
-Peter
peter.braswell is online now Find More Posts by peter.braswell
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:06 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
Gorgeous day... Finally got my X8 with modified autopilot out for a few flight tests... It's been a long time. Amazing how far back a tree falling on your house and a new baby will set your hobby projects back.

If you didn't get out for some sunshine today, enjoy the video.

Initial Flight Tests (2 min 54 sec)
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:29 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Gorgeous day... Finally got my X8 with modified autopilot out for a few flight tests... It's been a long time. Amazing how far back a tree falling on your house and a new baby will set your hobby projects back.

If you didn't get out for some sunshine today, enjoy the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLneOWxEk1I&sns=em
Dude great video! I'll have to catch up with you to see the setup of your X8. It's time to start building mine now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:15 AM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Dude great video! I'll have to catch up with you to see the setup of your X8. It's time to start building mine now.
The airframe is a super easy build, there are a few key mods you need to make, but otherwise easy.

I'm running:

RC: Futaba t9cap with Dragonlink UHF
Video: gopro hero 3 over lawmate 1.2 ghz @ 1000mW
Auto: Arduino based with 3Drobotics sensors and my own build of arduplane 2.69
Data telemetry: rfd900
Motor: turnigy g32 with 13x8 cf folding prop
Batt: 2 4s in parallel, each 6000 MAh

Giving me about 60 minutes in the air, it cruises at 13 amp.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:52 AM
Joined Sep 2010
1,599 Posts
Quote:
The airframe is a super easy build, there are a few key mods you need to make, but otherwise easy.

I'm running:

RC: Futaba t9cap with Dragonlink UHF
Video: gopro hero 3 over lawmate 1.2 ghz @ 1000mW
Auto: Arduino based with 3Drobotics sensors and my own build of arduplane 2.69
Data telemetry: rfd900
Motor: turnigy g32 with 13x8 cf folding prop
Batt: 2 4s in parallel, each 6000 MAh

Giving me about 60 minutes in the air, it cruises at 13 amp.
Yeah, I thought the G32 would be a good motor for that plane. I was looking at the Power 32 but of course the G32 is much cheaper.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:57 AM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Yeah, I thought the G32 would be a good motor for that plane. I was looking at the Power 32 but of course the G32 is much cheaper.
I actually have a g46 on the bench, its a 550kv. Going to test with a 14x8 prop. should get me a lower amp cruise. 87% efficiency.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:13 AM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Hi Banks and Everyone.

It's nice to see there has been some activity on this thread. I hadn't checked it in a while.

To your question Banks I've been staying out of the cold this year pretty much. For those rare warm weekend days with dry ground I've been flying at my local community college and trying out ArduPlane on my plane. I haven't been able to get enough flights in to tune it very well so as soon as the weather breaks I want to get out and fly and would like to meet up with local people as well.

I'm really happy how the setup is progressing and looking forward to seeing how far I can go with the new technology.

I too am worried about all this anti drone sentiment as I think in many cases it's justified and something that will only get worse for us over time. Flying in remote areas is our biggest defense I think because if we don't bother anyone I suspect we will be committing no crime if you know what I mean.

One of the exciting things I've done is arrange two goPro cameras on my plane in a V shape so I capture the left side and right side view on different cameras. What is cool is I now have the technology to play both back on separate screens also arranged in a V shape and it's an amazing experience. I find myself looking around at all the various details at my desk rather than having to pan to see them while flying the plane. This frees me to concentrate on flying the plane while at the field and looking around later from the video.

And to take the idea one further, I just created a three camera setup with one looking directly forward and the others pointed back towards the wing a bit and also looking down so I can watch the earth go by on either side. I'm excited about this but the weather turned crappy so I haven't been able to try it yet.

Here is a post of one flight with two cameras. It's tough to share how cool this looks with two monitors though. I show the setup I'm using at the very end of the video.

NOVA Evening Flight (4 min 35 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by banks View Post
just checking in and wanted to see if any one has been flying in the cold or staying in lol.If they outlaw fpv in Va its not going to stop me as i live out in the boonies so im not worried about it.It will suck for u guys in the city areas tho But hey u can always come fly with me lol
pthompson24 is offline Find More Posts by pthompson24
Last edited by pthompson24; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:20 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:59 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
Joined Jan 2012
1,350 Posts
For those that spend a lot of time on FPVlabs also - I started a group there.

http://fpvlab.com/forums/group.php?groupid=34
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:05 AM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,373 Posts
Quote:
Going to be a gorgeous day tomorrow... Anybody off and flying?
I flew. But... an evil airplane grabbing tree branch ripped my precious Twinstar out of the sky and threw it on the ground.

Back to re-building once again!