SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:57 AM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang View Post
Oso: I have a TwinStar w/ DragonLink control and 1280 or 900 MHz video. DragonOSD. GoPro. etc. The works. Been flying it for A LONG time. She's got a lot of miles on her. Lots of crashes too.

I have a scratch built Quad that I recently started flying. Going to be putting the FPV gear on it soon.

IL76MD:
That's cool. What video frequency do you have problems on? And where exactly?

I've flown at White's Ferry from farm land. Another FPV friend actually asked the farmer for permission. Really cool place to fly from, going out over the river and seeing the ferry down below.
https://vimeo.com/24631579
Hi Brian,

nice video and view at that place, you can even use landing strip, excellent.
I've got losing video (1280), if could fly to South from "my" place. "They" turning ON some of the very powerful radar or something else, but not every day, just sometimes. And, actually, I stopped to fly in that direction, cause of commercial airplanes.
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:46 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
twinturbostang's Avatar
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
Sounds like a great rig. My buddy just got the DragonOSD for a Skywalker 1900. We're looking to test it out this weekend.

We're both using Dragonlink for control as well.
The DragonOSD is great. Lots of information and very useful for long range flights.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:49 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
twinturbostang's Avatar
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL76MD View Post
Hi Brian,

nice video and view at that place, you can even use landing strip, excellent.
I've got losing video (1280), if could fly to South from "my" place. "They" turning ON some of the very powerful radar or something else, but not every day, just sometimes. And, actually, I stopped to fly in that direction, cause of commercial airplanes.
I've done 900 MHz video near Poolesville and it works really good. There are some areas, though, that get totally trashed by outside interference. So I run 1280 also for those locations. Like at CASA in Rockville. You can see bunches of large antennas off in the distance.

BTW, if you're in Falls Church, you're not too far away from Dulles. Which means LOTS of antennas/towers with polluting RF.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:07 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang View Post
There are some areas, though, that get totally trashed by outside interference. So I run 1280 also for those locations. Like at CASA in Rockville. You can see bunches of large antennas off in the distance.
Yea, you are right.
Sometimes I feel like doing Giant-Slalom among them to get far away.
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:51 PM
Registered User
smoothvirus's Avatar
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang View Post
I've done 900 MHz video near Poolesville and it works really good. There are some areas, though, that get totally trashed by outside interference. So I run 1280 also for those locations. Like at CASA in Rockville. You can see bunches of large antennas off in the distance.

BTW, if you're in Falls Church, you're not too far away from Dulles. Which means LOTS of antennas/towers with polluting RF.
I can testify to the interference at CASA's site. I learned the hard way that you cannot use the old Spektrum DSM2 AR500 reciever there. DSMX is OK, and the other DSM2 recievers are OK, but an AR500 will get you locked out.
smoothvirus is online now Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blackout Mini H Quadcopter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 02, 2013, 07:16 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
twinturbostang's Avatar
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Yeah, there's a lot of RF pollution in that area.

The old Spektrum systems are junk IMO. They are not true frequency hopping systems, like Futaba FASST. I'm not sure if DSMX is or not (haven't used it), but I've heard the same as you, that they are much better.

I know some people don't like 2.4GHz and say it's inferior to 72MHz. But I disagree. A well designed 2.4GHz system (like FASST, and maybe DSMX) has many redundancies and error checking that cannot be found on 72 MHz systems. I've gone 2.5 miles on a completely stock FASST system. Yet I've had total lockouts on 72MHz just a couple hundred yards away.
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:37 PM
Registered User
smoothvirus's Avatar
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang View Post
Yeah, there's a lot of RF pollution in that area.

The old Spektrum systems are junk IMO. They are not true frequency hopping systems, like Futaba FASST. I'm not sure if DSMX is or not (haven't used it), but I've heard the same as you, that they are much better.

I know some people don't like 2.4GHz and say it's inferior to 72MHz. But I disagree. A well designed 2.4GHz system (like FASST, and maybe DSMX) has many redundancies and error checking that cannot be found on 72 MHz systems. I've gone 2.5 miles on a completely stock FASST system. Yet I've had total lockouts on 72MHz just a couple hundred yards away.
I don't have any access to fancy test equipment but I can report that DSMX is rock solid at CASA in spite of all the stray RF flying around. DSM, not so much. Actually I had problems with DSM lockouts here in Franconia as well but it wasn't as bad as it was at CASA.
smoothvirus is online now Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blackout Mini H Quadcopter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 03, 2013, 11:51 PM
Fly FPV, sleep; repeat
twinturbostang's Avatar
Germantown, MD
Joined Mar 2006
3,376 Posts
Just to be safe, don't run the old DSM at all!
twinturbostang is offline Find More Posts by twinturbostang
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 04, 2013, 12:06 AM
Keep calm and carry on.
Oso M's Avatar
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbostang View Post
Just to be safe, don't run the old DSM at all!
+1 for FPV, can't understand why any ody would consider DSM for an FPV app.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:39 PM
Registered User
smoothvirus's Avatar
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,867 Posts
Just FYI everyone I stumbled across an interview this evening which indicates to me that the Virginia legislature is preparing a bill which would outlaw FPV in this state. I created a separate thread on the bill here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826950
smoothvirus is online now Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blackout Mini H Quadcopter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:44 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
Oso M's Avatar
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
Just FYI everyone I stumbled across an interview this evening which indicates to me that the Virginia legislature is preparing a bill which would outlaw FPV in this state. I created a separate thread on the bill here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1826950
Hopefully its the same as the Oregon Bill, where they are looking to prevent surveillance usage.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:46 PM
Registered User
banks's Avatar
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
146 Posts
just checking in and wanted to see if any one has been flying in the cold or staying in lol.If they outlaw fpv in Va its not going to stop me as i live out in the boonies so im not worried about it.It will suck for u guys in the city areas tho But hey u can always come fly with me lol
banks is offline Find More Posts by banks
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:13 PM
Keep calm and carry on.
Oso M's Avatar
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,357 Posts
Haha... No, no flying for me, but I'm ready to get out ASAP. They aren't going to outlaw FPV in Virginia. I promise.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 07, 2013, 10:35 PM
Registered User
smoothvirus's Avatar
United States, VA, Franconia
Joined Sep 2010
1,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso M View Post
Hopefully its the same as the Oregon Bill, where they are looking to prevent surveillance usage.
Oh man the Oregon law is even worse, it criminalizes possession of an FPV plane, not just flying one!

We'll have to wait and see what kind of language comes out with the Virginia bill because for now all it says is people "engaged in a legal hunt".
smoothvirus is online now Find More Posts by smoothvirus
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Blackout Mini H Quadcopter
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:44 AM
Keep calm and carry on.
Oso M's Avatar
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Jan 2012
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothvirus View Post
Oh man the Oregon law is even worse, it criminalizes possession of an FPV plane, not just flying one!

We'll have to wait and see what kind of language comes out with the Virginia bill because for now all it says is people "engaged in a legal hunt".
Luckily the thing in Oregon is only a bill too, I'm sure it will get started out before it goes through legislation.
Oso M is offline Find More Posts by Oso M
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Off Site Not mine but LPU huge collection DC area skydvejam Cars - Cars and Parts (FS/W) 0 Aug 22, 2012 11:27 PM
Discussion Any experienced FPV pilots in Sturbridge, MA area? slowjett FPV Talk 5 Apr 17, 2012 09:47 PM
For Sale 3DHS 59" Slick RX Ready LPU - Norther Virginia, MD, DC area SalamSyed Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 8 Mar 27, 2012 12:25 AM
Question how to step up 11.1V 3 cell lipo DC to 12V DC for my FPV monitor? TheSelf FPV Talk 15 Dec 16, 2011 11:53 PM
Help! DC/DC converter for fpv up2late FPV Talk 3 Jan 27, 2010 01:53 AM