HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:50 PM
United States, MD, Solomons
Joined Feb 2002
1,987 Posts
My Penguin should be here Tuesday, i'm writing a review article for Model Airplane News on it. Tim's stuff is the best and the customer service is second to none. So keep an eye out for the magazine in the next few months:-)
gromitvt10 is offline Find More Posts by gromitvt10
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 09:00 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthompson24 View Post
Guys,

The Penguin arrived today already! Wow that was fast, ReadymadeRC is living up to their reputation! This plane is big! I like it so far just checking out the parts. I probably won't have a chance to put it together right away but once I do I'll report back to this thread to let you know how it goes.

Have a great weekend. Get your flying in Saturday as Sunday doesn't look as good.

Cheers,
-Paul
Have you started biulding that thing yet.When you get it done u will have to bring it back here so we can check it out
banks is offline Find More Posts by banks
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:20 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banks View Post
Have you started biulding that thing yet.When you get it done u will have to bring it back here so we can check it out
Not yet on the penguin Banks. But today was a cold rainy day so after I finished some work on the house remodel I spent the rest of the day finishing the build on the DJI flamewheel 550 and Naza controller! Man does that thing fly smooth and easy. I think I'll finally be able to FPV a hoverable airframe it's so good.

I'll be happy to come back and bring them both to try out at your awesome airfield. Have you had a chance to mount a camera on your new bird yet?

Have you seen the videos of these planes with the big V shaped antenna sticking out of them? If so do you know what kind of system that is for?

Cheers,
-Paul
pthompson24 is offline Find More Posts by pthompson24
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:36 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
146 Posts
Quote:
Not yet on the penguin Banks. But today was a cold rainy day so after I finished some work on the house remodel I spent the rest of the day finishing the build on the DJI flamewheel 550 and Naza controller! Man does that thing fly smooth and easy. I think I'll finally be able to FPV a hoverable airframe it's so good.

I'll be happy to come back and bring them both to try out at your awesome airfield. Have you had a chance to mount a camera on your new bird yet?

Have you seen the videos of these planes with the big V shaped antenna sticking out of them? If so do you know what kind of system that is for?

Cheers,
-Paul
Ive got the cam mounted but now i just have to mount that big a$$ motor on it lol.I havent seen the vids your talking about so i have no idea about whatever ant you have seen.Ive got the same small V that u were useing here.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 04:34 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Banks,

The V shaped sticks sticking out just behind the motor is what I'm asking about. It's a nice video but he doesn't talk about them. They look pretty cool though. :-)

BTW, I crashed the 550 flamewheel already this morning. Bummer. Stopped by the hobby store to pick up the parts I need this afternoon. That's why I'm glad they started carrying this stuff. :-)

GSTV - "Penguin" - FPV Setup and Flying (5 min 22 sec)
Old Oct 08, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1,987 Posts
[QUOTE=pthompson24;22947005]Banks,

The V shaped sticks sticking out just behind the motor is what I'm asking about. It's a nice video but he doesn't talk about them. They look pretty cool though. :-)"

PThompson24,
Those are antennas for a long range radio system, TLRS or Dragon Link. They work on a 433mhz system and you can fly a long way with them. I have the TLRS on my Skywalker and ZII. You can get the TLRS at ReadymadeRC: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=38

Here you can see it on my ZII, the vertical antenna on the fuselage, the other is taped to bottom of plane. I'm going to try to make the next flying session at Banks' house, i'll show it to you.

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/blo...hyr-ii-review/

Kyle
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:42 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
146 Posts
[QUOTE=gromitvt10;22947800]
Quote:
Banks,

The V shaped sticks sticking out just behind the motor is what I'm asking about. It's a nice video but he doesn't talk about them. They look pretty cool though. :-)"

PThompson24,
Those are antennas for a long range radio system, TLRS or Dragon Link. They work on a 433mhz system and you can fly a long way with them. I have the TLRS on my Skywalker and ZII. You can get the TLRS at ReadymadeRC: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...products_id=38

Here you can see it on my ZII, the vertical antenna on the fuselage, the other is taped to bottom of plane. I'm going to try to make the next flying session at Banks' house, i'll show it to you.

Kyle
I cant wait to check that thing out Kyle.I checked out your review and ive always wanted to see one up close so next time we have a get together here i hope u can make it
Old Oct 10, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Feb 2002
1,987 Posts
I got my Penguin yesterday at 3pm, finshed it at 11pm (that included dinner and social breaks) !! I went with a simple FPV setup, camera and 800mw tx, no OSD, LRS or GPS. That thing is so simple to build and well thought out, i used hot glue and 5 min epoxy but there is glue included. Tim sent me the version with the 2815 motor and 60A ESC, plus i got his 3s 3300 35c battery. Will post pics later but this plane is way cool so far.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...oducts_id=1072
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:24 AM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
146 Posts
Sweet u will have to bring that and the ZII out to my place sometime
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Hey Kyle,

Thanks for the info on the antenna. The guys were trying to talk me into switching to that and I'm tempted but I've been on Specktrum since I started this hobby and haven't had any problems recently so I may put that one off a bit.

Yes, we were discussing the flying wings at our last meeting. I've been impressed with what Team Black Sheep has been able to do with them so I'd love to check it out at our next meeting!

I got the flamewheel put back together again and flew it this morning with no problems. I've changed the design a bit, hopefully for the better. I really want to FPV this thing since it's so stable.

Cheers,
-Paul

[QUOTE=gromitvt10;22947800]
Quote:
Banks,

PThompson24,

Kyle
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:22 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Banks,

We should set it up now in advance so people can make planes and before it gets too cold. I vote for the 27th or 28th. I could do the 20th but it wouldn't be ideal. What do you think?

Quote:
Sweet u will have to bring that and the ZII out to my place sometime
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:17 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
146 Posts
I have to work the 27th but the 28th is good.So whatever anyone else wants to do is fine with me.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:55 PM
Sterling, VA, USA
Joined Aug 2007
530 Posts
Quote:
I have to work the 27th but the 28th is good.So whatever anyone else wants to do is fine with me.

Thanks Banks. Can anyone else make it on the 28th? Weather permitting of course!!
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:02 PM
United States, VA, Luray
Joined Feb 2004
146 Posts
[QUOTE=pthompson24;22968093]Hey Kyle,

Thanks for the info on the antenna. The guys were trying to talk me into switching to that and I'm tempted but I've been on Specktrum since I started this hobby and haven't had any problems recently so I may put that one off a bit.

Yes, we were discussing the flying wings at our last meeting. I've been impressed with what Team Black Sheep has been able to do with them so I'd love to check it out at our next meeting!

I got the flamewheel put back together again and flew it this morning with no problems. I've changed the design a bit, hopefully for the better. I really want to FPV this thing since it's so stable.

Cheers,
-Paul

Hey post some pics of the flamewheel.Is it a quadcopter or what.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:45 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
489 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Banks. Can anyone else make it on the 28th? Weather permitting of course!!
Yes, the weather is a main factor. I would like to come, too, almost finished upgrading of my glider.
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD