HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:38 PM
One Powerball
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
Glider to start, then twin tractor motors at a later stage.

Cheers
Brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
Are you building a glider or powered model?
topline is offline Find More Posts by topline
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:49 AM
One Powerball
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
Some pics.

Bottom

Cheers
Brian
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:02 AM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,148 Posts
You are pretty fast! I dont' see where the electronics go. Let us know how the initial flights go.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:49 AM
One Powerball
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
Waited and Waited for the wind... It did not come... maybe next weekend

Cheers
Brian
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:43 PM
Foam Guy
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2011
141 Posts
Wow, that was fast Brian. Looks great too. I just spent all weekend on our build. Should have it covered and some pics up soon. No, really.

Might of accidentally made room for a GoPro in the nose and just got a bit carried away in general.
cglusky is offline Find More Posts by cglusky
Old Oct 29, 2012, 01:10 PM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
191 Posts
Wow, that's an amazing wing, love to see it fly guys
iwchris is offline Find More Posts by iwchris
Old Oct 29, 2012, 11:28 PM
One Powerball
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
Lets see the PICS!!! I have a slope fun fly late November. Will keep it as a slope wing until then. Then... Gopro, motors, fpv, Rth etc!!!

Cheers
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglusky View Post
Wow, that was fast Brian. Looks great too. I just spent all weekend on our build. Should have it covered and some pics up soon. No, really.

Might of accidentally made room for a GoPro in the nose and just got a bit carried away in general.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:29 PM
Foam Guy
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2011
141 Posts
OK. Just got done flying our Mother Ship. Getting late here and waiting for the video to transcode etc. Here are the pics of our build to this point.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cglusky...7631892904218/

Needs a bit more color on top but the paint was not even dry when we flew it today.

I'll get more details up on the site when able along with some video from the GoPro.

Overall, Wayne has a good approach moving the motor up. We could have moved ours up another inch and made it easier to balance - even with 4.5 ounces of GoPro in the nose we needed 1 more ounce of ballast to get it nice and stable in pitch. Roll rate is slow as expected. We are running about 500 watts peak, but at 5000' density altitude it's not as strong as I would like. We used no fiber packing tape on this thing at all; the only tape is black packing tape on the elevons. The entire thing is covered in 5 mil lamination film. The paint is some newish type of Rustoluem that appears to stick to about anything.

Enjoy!
C
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:47 AM
One Powerball
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
Thanks Coby

Looks great! Let us know how the paint holds up

Cheers
Brian
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:38 PM
Foam Guy
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2011
141 Posts
And the video...

Mother Ship GoPro (4 min 46 sec)

Let me know if you have any questions on our build. Really not too complicated. Fuse is 1/16" birch ply with some bass wood added to the forward bulkhead to help pick up the load from the top spars. Hatch was shaped from the piece of foam saved from the nose cutout. Firewall has carbon fiber cloth layered on the outside with thin CA to help keep it where it belongs on fast landing/prop strike. Hatches use magnets and/or pins. AUW was right at 5 pounds. We are seeing evidence of elevon flutter at high speeds, so James says he wants to pul them off and glass 'em.

Hope that helps. Art of the possible I guess.

Enjoy!
Coby
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:55 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,148 Posts
Thanks for the video Coby. I would like to see more of the ground stuff. Those fish-eye cameras always disorient me a little.

I think I have stuff ready to make some more progress. I have been in and out of pocket.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 09:19 AM
Foam Guy
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2011
141 Posts
Hey Wayne. No worries. I have to get my dSLR out to the field so we can shoot better ground based stuff. Having problems - even with the Mother - with auto focus tracking on our little point and shoot.

The paint is Rust O Leum Universal and it sticks very well. We painted a scrap of lamination film ans did some tests - It will scratch but it does not peel off and it handles being rolled up without creasing. The bottom of ours is getting scratch but it still looks good enough. We are going to add a bit of red and white to the top after James gets the elevons glassed and reinstalled.

We believe our flutter at speed is happening because we put a very extreme taper on the balsa - thinned it out to about 1/16" at trailing edge - which is probably not a great idea if you are only using tape (or going to combat). I noticed Brian put his servos further out which can help too, but puts the weight further aft. All a trade off as usual.

R,
C
Old Nov 01, 2012, 10:01 AM
One Powerball
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
155 Posts
Hi Coby

I did put my servo's further back thinking that, in the future, with the motors up front, the weight back there would be OK. I used 2x 1300 3s packs right up front for the radio and still needed to add 400g lead to the front to balance. My all up weight id 2.05kg or just over 4.4lb. When the Gopro and motors are mounted, I will probably be able to remove the excess lead. Time will tell. I also used strapping tape on the elevons top and bottom so that added weight back there too.

Wind is looking good for Sunday (if we can believe the forecast) so hopefully a maiden video soon

Cheers
Brian
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:21 AM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,148 Posts
If you can, turn auto focus off. Manual focus for a distant object and leave it there. It is really important on video.
Old Nov 01, 2012, 11:41 AM
Foam Guy
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2011
141 Posts
Wayne,
Haha, that assumes I have figured out the point and shoot. Tried to turn auto-focus off for video of last flight and got my butt kicked by the camera. Ironically, much more proficient with my dSLR.

Brian,
I think you will be OK since you do plan the twin tractor in the future. Good luck with the winds. We had snow on the ground here in Colorado when I saw your picture of the beach - ouch. I would make sure you have your roll rates pretty high to start. Or have the option with dual rates ready. I need to measure our throws, but we also cut longer, narrower elevons for our build.