SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:30 PM
A trail of smoke is GOOD!
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I decided to add a ply spar at the CG line. I laid the CG line out on the bottom of the plane. I needed to cut perpendicular to the bottom. I used a piece of aluminum angle and a multi-blade knife. The angle provided a verticle guide for the knife. This worked perfectly.

I then cut a piece of ply the width of the slot and thicker than the wing. The top and bottom surfaces are not the same shape. I inserted the ply into the slot and drew a line along the bottom edge of the plane on the ply. I also marked the center line.

I cut the line with a band saw and followed up with a sander. I then inserted the ply back into the wing, aligned the bottom and verified the bottom followed the contour of the wing. I then marked the top of the spar. I removed the spar and again cut the spar and then sanded to the shape. I reinserted the spar and it looked to fit great.

I debated on using Super 77 but finally decided on epoxy. I used 10ml but could have used 15ml. I spread the epoxy on both sides of the spar and inserted the spar. I laid it on the bed, with the waxed paper, and weighted it while it cured.

I did have to sand the ends a bit on the spar on the bottom but it fits well.

The spar is expected to be a component in the motor mount and so the epoxy was used for a stronger bond.
waynemia is offline Find More Posts by waynemia
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:52 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Layout

Time for the layout. First I taped a dowel on to the bottom of the wing on the cg spar. This is to allow the plane to tip on the CG line.

I then laid everything out and taped on the elevons. The motor and prop were laid on the wing in the position I expect it to be mounted.

I then moved the battery until I found the location that balanced the wing.

The battery location is on top of the spars. That is not great but not terrible. I will have to cut some foam out of the trailing edge of the wing behind the motor. This will cause the battery to move aft.

A few other changes with shift the CG a little but This looks like it will work.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:56 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Here is the video from today, it should be available shortly.

Flying Foam's Mothership EP, Build Log Part 3 (7 min 31 sec)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:50 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I made more progress today but it is too late to do the photos and vids.

I have finished cutting and mounting the motor mount.The balance is still coming out with the batteries on top of the cf spars. I can separate the batteries but that precludes using a single pack. I may wind up going that way; otherwise, I have to cut the cf spars.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:25 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
This is the work from Wednesday. I am mounting the motor to the CG spar. The requires removal of the foam for prop clearance. I have clearance for a 14" prop.

To add additional connection between the motor and the rest of the wing, I inserted two CF rods by drilling through the motor mount, ply spar, and into the wing. The two rods were epoxied into place.

I did two motor mounts. I did not leave enough room on the sides for the mounting bolts the first time when I rounded the top.

I am still contemplating the placement of the battery, esc, etc. I don't want to have them above the wing surface and the CF rods are in the way. I am planing to cut the rods to make a recess to contain the electronics. This would allow for a low profile hatch to cover the area. I will put a thin ply or plastic floor in the recess for mounting equipment. I don't have a hot wire cutter that will aid with this so I am thinking of using a finish router. I will use the cut-out piece to test and make sure it will work well.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:27 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Here is a quick update. I have been a little busy so I don't have pics or vid updates.

I cut the two top spars and routed out a 5" x 6" x 1.3" hole in the top of the wing for the electronics. I plan to embed a case of some kind in there.
Last edited by waynemia; Oct 09, 2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:54 AM
Foam Guy
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2011
148 Posts
Wayne,
I'll try to get some pics up in the next few days of how we are approaching our build. We also cut the spars back and are going to box in the area with some added strength from a couple bulkheads to span the opening.
R,
C
cglusky is offline Find More Posts by cglusky
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:44 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I have some pictures of the cut-out area I made. You can see that the CF rods were cut. I used a router bit and a trim router to make the hole. You can also see the motor mount and spar that I installed.

I want to try a couple of options on lining the cutout or at least installing a floor.

After I work that out, I will be making cut-outs for the servos. I may try a die cut approach to that. I plan to make a test on the piece I cut out for the prop. If I don't like the results, I will route those holes also.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 09:55 AM
One Powerball
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
169 Posts
I just received my kit from Flying Foam.

Firstly I'd like to thank Coby for going the extra mile in sending me a kit to Australia. The kit needed to be sent in 2 boxes and the wings cut in half to fit into the maximum size box. Thanks heaps.

I am currently gluing the quarters together to make halves.

Any update on this build as I am watching it keenly

Cheers
Brian
Perth, Australia
topline is offline Find More Posts by topline
Old Oct 23, 2012, 12:29 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
I am out of town this week. I plan to get back on this when I return.

You should not have quarters, only halves. The wings are inside the beds. There are four pieces that are the beds, two on top and two on bottom. The wings are inside those four pieces.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
One Powerball
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
169 Posts
lol... I have 4 pieces of wings as the wings themselves had to be cut in half to fit in the box size that could ship to Australia. Spars also had to be cut to fit in the box, so had to join spars as well as I got 8 pieces...

All good. Glue drying today. Should have a full wing by tonight and can then start the equipment planning and layout

Cheers
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemia View Post
I am out of town this week. I plan to get back on this when I return.

You should not have quarters, only halves. The wings are inside the beds. There are four pieces that are the beds, two on top and two on bottom. The wings are inside those four pieces.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 11:46 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
OK, now it is clear.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:57 AM
Foam Guy
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jan 2011
148 Posts
Your welcome Brian. I finally have the bench cleared and my Mother sitting, waiting patiently for me to finish paperwork. We got distracted with a new 36" forward sweep design that we plan to release in the next couple weeks. Hope to get back in the shop later today and continue the Mother.
cglusky is offline Find More Posts by cglusky
Old Oct 25, 2012, 08:33 AM
One Powerball
Australia
Joined Dec 2006
169 Posts
Couple of photo's...
She's a big mother... I'm 6'2"

Used quite a bit of strapping tape. Probably more than needed.

Coming along slowly

Cheers
Brian
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
USA, TX, Springtown
Joined May 2008
7,226 Posts
Are you building a glider or powered model?