HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:48 AM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,241 Posts
I wasnt going to, but I did seal up the retract bay(s), I had time while filler (more filler) was drying. I aslo got the door fit and temp mounted, no close up yet as I have a bit more fitting to do. Final coat of primer on the fuse! Now panel lines and rivots!!
Twinwarbirdflier is offline Find More Posts by Twinwarbirdflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:49 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,802 Posts
So you're about half finished now?
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:13 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,241 Posts
Yeah... But the fun stuff is coming!
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:27 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,241 Posts
Ok, so it's not so much fun...and there's a stink bug on my airplane!
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:31 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Looking good Phil. well except that damn bug doing a wing walk.
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:18 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
I have those bugs around here, too, but usually in the Fall.

That panel line masking is tedious. The work is worth it, though.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:59 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,241 Posts
Damn... I have tomorrow off, gonta get a few coats of primer on her. then lining up the wing
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:09 AM
USA, IL, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,847 Posts
What's your plan for the rivots?
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:50 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Merrill View Post
What's your plan for the rivots?
Lots of them!! I have two methods to apply. The syringe I used on the B25 and Corsair, or the "stylus" thing was lent to me from Norm to try. I'll see which one I can get to be more consistant.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:56 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,241 Posts
Love the lines on this bird
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:59 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,241 Posts
I am sooooo out of practice ....
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:01 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,888 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinwarbirdflier View Post
I am sooooo out of practice ....
You'll get plenty of practice.

That thing is a rivet farm. LOL
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:29 AM
Illegitimi non carborundum
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrump View Post
that thing is a rivet farm. Lol
lol!
grosbeak is offline Find More Posts by grosbeak
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:05 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
688 Posts
DC-3 here also.....

Twinwar, I have a Ziroli DC-3 that I started YEARS ago and now have decided to finally get back to it. Technology has changed so much that I scrapped the entire center wing section I had built a long time ago. Some questions if you have time: Are you using double bellcranks for the ailerons (I started that way)
or are you using two servos in the wing? I'm thinking of using pull/pull for the rudder and elevators....how about you? Probably going to use Robart air retracts. Someone else said they didn't want to spend $600.00 on retracts and then another $300.00 for conversion to electric. I'm not sure how accurate his conversion cost is.
One thing you can't help me with is the decision on rivets. Like another guy said, "That plane is a rivet farm"! The panel lines with tape wouldn't be so bad but all those rivets! Your in-progress pics seem to be a nice compromise between no rivets and the zillions that are actuall on the plane. I'm going to use G-38's also but not sure which props....any suggestions?
There have been several of these birds built in my area (DFW, Texas), but I don't know any of these guys. An in-person look at a complete plane would tell me a lot. I'm fairly new in this area so it looks like I'll have to cultivate some friends!
Martin5465 is online now Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:34 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5465 View Post
Twinwar, I have a Ziroli DC-3 that I started YEARS ago and now have decided to finally get back to it. Technology has changed so much that I scrapped the entire center wing section I had built a long time ago. Some questions if you have time: Are you using double bellcranks for the ailerons (I started that way)
or are you using two servos in the wing? I'm thinking of using pull/pull for the rudder and elevators....how about you? Probably going to use Robart air retracts. Someone else said they didn't want to spend $600.00 on retracts and then another $300.00 for conversion to electric. I'm not sure how accurate his conversion cost is.
One thing you can't help me with is the decision on rivets. Like another guy said, "That plane is a rivet farm"! The panel lines with tape wouldn't be so bad but all those rivets! Your in-progress pics seem to be a nice compromise between no rivets and the zillions that are actuall on the plane. I'm going to use G-38's also but not sure which props....any suggestions?
There have been several of these birds built in my area (DFW, Texas), but I don't know any of these guys. An in-person look at a complete plane would tell me a lot. I'm fairly new in this area so it looks like I'll have to cultivate some friends!
Welp...Let's see. Def servos in the wing. For a bird this big, no bellcranks. the least amount of slop the better. I bought the plane mostly framed up, so the original builder already had pushrods (Sullivan HD) run for the elevators and rudder. I personally would've done a pull pull for the rudder, but didn't have that option.
I'm going to take my time with the rivets and put a few million on, there's nothing like the wow factor at any field you may bring her to. (besides, we still have a few more weeks of crappy weather up here)
I plan on going three bladed http://www.v-eastonline.com/products...x25-cm%29.html
from other build (and fly) threads I've read, the pilots have had the best luck with these. I'm using G38s as well..
You should try to contact the builders in your area, I'm sure you'll find them very helpful. I love to give my $.02 cents worth, which usually becomes $5+, cause I love the hobby so much, I cant shut up about my planes..
Good luck and keep us posted!