Just a little dab will do ya!
Steve Merrill is offline Find More Posts by Steve Merrill
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:26 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,592 Posts
A couple of buddies did their rivets using the Mirce Finish set, http://www.nsmodelers.rs/ . Turned out real nice, but still a lot of work. Both TF P-47s.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:26 PM
United States, TX, Haltom City
Joined Mar 2013
503 Posts
Twinwar, I know about the crappy weather you have up north. I'm originally from the other end of NY (Buffalo/ & Grand Island). But in some ways you have more flying weather than us in Texas. Around here it is VERY windy quite a bit of the time. Can't really fly anything small. Now as for your advice about bellcranks.........the original Ziroli plans show two options, 2 servos or one servo and bellcranks/push rods. As much as I hate to tear out all the work I've done and put two servos in each wing, I guess that's the way I'll have to go. One good thing about that is that I tend to "over engineer" my building efforts. I seem to take something simple and complicate it, so converting to two servos might be doable. How strong would you suggest? I had a single 130 oz. installed but two of them seem to be overkill. On the other hand, there isn't much weight difference in a lesser strength servo is there? My over engineering tendencies and seeing your rivets makes me think I'll go that way too. I have a lot of irons in the fire but as soon as I can learn how to post pics I'll start doing so. Thanks for the info on the props...............
Martin5465 is offline Find More Posts by Martin5465
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:50 PM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,234 Posts
Well, she's gonna be heavy, I'd go as strong as possible. I'll have Hitec HS-645MG (133oz torque @ 6v) on ailerons, elevators, but will go stronger on rudder. I'm an overkill guy on servos. I'd rather have more than I need then not.
Not sure if you can really see the rivets, I wont post too many pics untill I get more done. I'm taking a break and I think I'm getting hip-mo-tized!
Twinwarbirdflier is offline Find More Posts by Twinwarbirdflier
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:52 PM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,375 Posts
TWIN! gonna hafta start calling ya ROSIE the riveter! sorry couldn't help myself, that's some wicked riveting you got going on there!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: great day!
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:42 PM
Joined Mar 2013
503 Posts
TwinWar, I also have the 645 MG servos but it seems that the outboard servo won't fit within the thickness of the wing. I was hoping to have them totally enclosed but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Is the servo arm on your outboard servo outside of the wing skin? If I have to go that way I'm going to fabricate some fairings to kind of cover the arm. The rivets look good! I was thinking maybe a flat or semi-gloss finish would show them up better, like yours do in the primer.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:52 PM
Joined Mar 2013
503 Posts
Arrghhhhhhhhhhhh!

I just got back from the hobby shop where I went to see if I could find a strong servo with a shorter case to fit in my wing. While there I met a guy who flies a Ziroli Crsair and a P-40. He says two servos on one aileron is overkill. Ask ten people a question and get ten different answers! Seems to me one servo is not spreading the load out enough for a long aileron (probably about 20"). Would two servos of about 70 0z. (I think that was the torque) work ok? This is a Ziroli DC-3 that obviously will not be aerobatic, just slow scale flight. Almost everything I read says use two servos but here's a man who is using just one.
Granted, the Corsair is not as big as the DC-3 but still a sizable plane.
Everyone in the shop at least agreed that pushrods and bellcranks from one servo is not the way to go, as Twinwar pointed out already. I agree with him and now have to figure out which way to go with servos....one or two.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2013
503 Posts
Mirce rivet system

Anybody know how the Mirce rivet system works? I used the link edwin1 posted but I don't even know what language it is! It looks like pressure sensitive rivet "heads" on some sort of carrier strip. Might be worth a few bucks to have consistency in size. I have such catching up to do with technology!
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:13 PM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Martin5465. You can get by with a single servo with no issues. The best thing to do would be to mount it at the center of the aileron. Not at the end. I did this for a 101" Hughes XF-11 without any problems. I think the aileron for that was about 16". Also we used thinwing servo's that were rated at I believe 80oz/in so you shouldn't have any problems with that
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:18 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,592 Posts
I dont recall ever seeing multiple servos on any scale plane other than the 3D type. Especially a warbird.
Martin,
Here is a thread of a buddy that used the mirce system. It was tedious but worked. He also has screw heads and twistlocks.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...m.htm#10635038
Edwin
Had to go back and look. Around post 1054 gives a good look what the results are after the primer.
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Last edited by edwin1; Mar 08, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:33 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,615 Posts
I have a thread in another forum,addressing this very thing.-servo power-

I'll be building a Ziroli DC-3 and much as I love Nicky's designs, this a fail,in my eyes.

Having said that, those ailerons are 34" long, 3-5/8 wide at one end, and nearly 2" at the tip.
The two horns eliminate twist in the aileron, by attaching in two places......
I'm going to add diagonal braces,just under the surface to add torsional resistance..,and use one high torque servo, mounted farther ahead to be totally hidden.

A single servo has the ommph to move it-it just might twist or warp under deflection, without reinforcement.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:31 AM
Buildin' fool
Queensbury New York
Joined Dec 2006
1,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin5465 View Post
TwinWar, I also have the 645 MG servos but it seems that the outboard servo won't fit within the thickness of the wing. I was hoping to have them totally enclosed but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. Is the servo arm on your outboard servo outside of the wing skin? If I have to go that way I'm going to fabricate some fairings to kind of cover the arm. The rivets look good! I was thinking maybe a flat or semi-gloss finish would show them up better, like yours do in the primer.
Uh oh.. I havent tried fitting the servos in the wing yet....
Twinwarbirdflier is offline Find More Posts by Twinwarbirdflier
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:49 PM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinwarbirdflier View Post
Uh oh.. I havent tried fitting the servos in the wing yet....
Let 'em hang out the bottom, if you have to.

For me, it wouldn't be a big deal if I had to do so.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:07 PM
Joined Mar 2013
503 Posts
TwinWar, the 645 servos will fit within the wing at the inboard location, but not at the outboard. One servo for a 34" aileron seems like we're looking for twisting trouble, no matter where you put it. At the hobby shop they showed me some shorter case servos but they didn't have metal gears. I'll have to do some research on this.
CapMike the Ziroli plans call for two servos or one strong one with bellcranks and pushrods, which seems to invite slop. Anyone I talked to does not like that setup.
Edwin1 Thanks for the link to the rivet technique. It's worth the money, IMO, but I only looked quickly thru the web site and didn't see 1/8 scale rivets. On something as big as a 12' DC-3 I don't think the 1/6 scale rivets would look too big. Anybody feel free to comment on that.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:15 PM
Joined Mar 2013
503 Posts
Epoxyearl, I just happened to see your post this morning. I'm thinking of going with two servos of 70 oz. each if I can find some with metal gears. I would enjoy the challenge of one big servo with pushrods and bellcranks but I don't want to bring the plane home from the field in garbage bags! Actually I had one big (133 oz.) servo mounted and was in the process of doing the bellcrank linkages when, after consultation with more experienced guys, decided to scrap that system. I'm in the process now of cutting out my bellcrank mounts and my main servo mount. My Ziroli plans show two options for aileron servos: one strong one with linkages or two in each wing. My plans are at least 15 years old so I don't know if he's changed his recommendations over the years.